Thank you Anton, I hope you are well.
Progress is slowing now but I’ve made a start on a new instrument panel as well as the caution panel I have. It has some damaged components on one of the PCBs but I’m working to replace them. Failing that I will remove the original electronics and make something new. I’d also like to replace the bulbs with LEDs as currently the caution panel draws 4.5A at 28V when the Lamp Test button is pressed, so looking for some reasonably priced T1 3/4 LED bulbs.
I’ve mostly completed the ILS panel, just need to make the lightplate. I took the frequency display and switches out of an old Nav radio from another aircraft and added them to a new backplate. Turned out that only 8 input pins were needed to cover every frequency so I was able to use an Arduino Nano here. Had to add the Power switch to the right rotary which is just a Grayhill switch and two small alu plates. The knobs are a combination of real ones from old panels and replica cast ones.
Next up is the Intercom panel. I bought an old one from a C-130 a few years back. I had to add the Hot Mic switch which is just a cheap Push/Pull toggle from eBay. I also added a potentiometer to the top right volume control, since this was the old HM switch. Took a bit of time drilling and filing parts for it but now works well.
Due to the number of analog inputs needed I used an Arduino Mega and designed a shield which includes RS-485 circuitry and small 10pF across the input and GND of each pot to reduce noise. Again, I still have to make a lightplate...
I won a CRU-73 on eBay recently for the grand sum of £15. There is no way to use the real regulator for controlling DCS so I salvaged the pressure gauge and test ports to use in my own version. For the flow indicator, I’ve simply used a dim white LED which shines through some acrylic, painted with a single layer of black paint so the light still passes through. I was going to use a small motor to drive the real mechanism but decided against it. The back of this panel is very simple.
For the NMSP, I salvaged the illuminated push buttons from an old Tornado panel and created new lenses for them. I split the inputs and outputs for this panel onto 2 systems. For the inputs I created a small enclosure with a Nano seen below. The lamps will be controlled by a central lamps system which will run all the annunciators. This is due to them being a mix of LEDs and bulbs running on different voltages and I will include the Bright/Dim functionality. Apologies for not having any photos of these lit up, I will get some soon. I would also like to replace these bulbs with LEDs since the switches get to the point of being too hot to touch with bare skin.
Finally, I have finished the Landing Gear Panel. This is another panel which went through a lot of changes during the design and construction stages which is why the back of it is a bit of a mess. I still have to add the flaps gauge which will be built in a real 2” tube and will slide and clamp into the panel.
The gear lever must be pulled outwards to move from UP to DOWN and there is a solenoid to lock the lever in the down position.
Currently I have the solenoid disconnected since somewhere along the way I had the great idea of it defaulting to the unlocked position and when the solenoid is engaged it locks the lever. I thought it would be easier to build and would result in less wear on the solenoid. In fact it is the opposite and there is little point in connecting it up with the way I have it currently. The lever should be mechanically locked in the down position when no power is applied, and only becomes unlocked when there is no weight on the wheels, i.e. after takeoff.
Progress will slow moving into the Autumn since I’m away from the pit but I will work on designs for the missing panels.