Two DCS World installs

HiJack

One feature we loose with DCS World that I have used a lot for FlamingCliffs is the possibility to have 2 versions on the local disk at the same time. Now that DCS World uses the Saved Games folder it is impossible to isolate one version and keep a copy of the main DCS World folder for MOD’s and other experiments. Or is it some setting that can be used to create the userfiles in a different folder?

I would really like to keep a clean install where I can verify a discovered glitch as a DCS bug or a MOD bug or simply do some test of a change. For instance I have 2 different FC2 installs where one is modded with all kinds of stuff but I still got my clean first install of FC2 in a separate folder. This has saved me for reinstalls several times as there have been a few hiccups’ with modman or a specific mod. Then I just delete the modded install, make a copy of the clean install and name it to the modded FC2, run modman and install mods again. Works each and every time!

When looking at the current DCS World install the challenge is not the main DCS World folder but rather the fact that it uses “\Saved Games\DCS” for all reading and writing of settings no matter what the main program folder is called. Is there a way to have more than one user config folder? Like for instance “\Saved Games\DCS_1.2”. So please can someone find a good way to do this?

(HJ)

Now that DCS World uses the Saved Games folder it is impossible to isolate one version and keep a copy of the main DCS World folder for MOD’s and other experiments.

No, not impossible at all.

Or is it some setting that can be used to create the userfiles in a different folder?

Yes. I am currently streamlined down to 4 installs, all different yet all DCS World with 4 attendant Saved Games folders.

I'll post a 'how-to' shortly. Just have to corner my thoughts, which is proving to be about as difficult as cornering a cheerleader around a round table.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Just have to corner my thoughts, which is proving to be about as difficult as cornering a cheerleader around a round table.

Tsk, tsk...your getting old. Jump over the table. :D

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

OK - here goes.

First-off, I am assuming that you have the default desktop shortcut on your desktop, ie DCS World. Now the properties for that shortcut is as follows:

q3W73.jpg

You will see that the Target path is as it should be, ie stops at Launcher.exe. Now the first time you run the install the Saved Games folder it creates will default to DCS, as it has with your install.

Now for the second install:

You will copy your main install to another folder, or just run the installer again, installing to a different folder (do not suppose there is much difference). The second install will not create a new desktop icon if you installed again, so navigate to your bin folder and create another desktop shortcut, sending the Launcher.exe to the desktop. Rename this new shortcut to avoid confusion between the two installs.

Open the desktop shortcut you renamed (Right-click and select 'Properties) and edit the Target Path entry by the addition of the following entry:

-w "DCS World Modded"

alternatively add any description after DCS to replace 'World Modded'. Be sure to leave a space between the Launcher.exe" entry and the -w........ entry and do not forget the " at the end. When done, your shortcut path will then look like this:

Dj36b.jpg

Hit 'Apply' to close the shortcut. Run the modded install and it will automatically create a new, independant Saved Games Folder named in this instance 'DCS World Modded' or whatever else you decide to name it.

Try that and let me know if you have any problems - usually only problems if you edit the Target Path entry incorrectly.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Jump over the table. :D

Oh hell no! Bad back and blown knee will see me lose the wench :P

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Oh hell no! Bad back and blown knee will see me lose the wench :P

:megalol:

Thanks for the write up. I might have a use for that info.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup: