Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

tobaschi

Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion  

437 members have voted

1. 1. Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

• 599$ did not faze you, and YOU PRE-ORDER IT!
    • 599$ puts me into bankrupcy - I will not spend that kind of money - WILL NOT BUY
    • on the fence, will BUY LATER (at retail launch)

@hannibal - I am not a pilot, but since your question relates to just to been in the cockpit, I think I can answer that part. I have sat in a Mirage, Harrier and a Tornado and I think the DK2 gives you a good feel of what it's like inside a cockpit. I think a lot of people (included me at first) expect cockpits to be big and they aren't. They are small and quite narrow, but each jet is a different size and I speak only about the aircraft I've sat in. I got a shock when I saw the size of a Tornado compared to the Mirage and Harrier though. That thing is huge along with it's bombs.

Edit: What I like about the DK2 is it gives you the feeling of height inside of the cockpit aswell. When I first touched down on the runway in DK2, I realized how the height from the cockpit to the ground felt more realistic. I couldn't tell you if the sense of speed was accurate though, because I never got the chance to fly them :)

Edited by Crunchy

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The one thing that shocked me most in the DK2 was how small a plane cockpit is.

I have one question if anyone can help. I have configured all settings as recommended in the forum (shadows off and other stuff) and can fly alone without any judder, smooth as silk. But when I put some AI the judder appears. The CPU use is high but not 100% and de GPU use is around 50% or less, but the FPS drop below 75. Do you think my CPU can be a bottleneck or is any other configuration I can adjust?

I am playing the 1.5 beta all with latest Oculus SDk 0.7 and Nvidia drivers.

Thank you in advance.

Windows 10 - i7 950@3.80 GHz - RAM 6Gbytes - Gigabyte GTX790 G1 - Thrustmaster T-FLIGHT HOTAS X - Oculus Rift DK2

It should be much more stable in Update 3. I just ran 12 missions back to back without a crash.

The other big item we still need to resolve is the judder. Note that the judder is actually caused by timewarp. More precisely, it actually works only in orientation timewarp, but we have started experiments with positional timewarp by exporting the depth buffer to the Oculus runtime. Without this far distance, pixels are blended incorrectly in between two frames and this appears as image doubling.

Thanks Wags. My experience with judder now makes complete sense. When I move out of range of the positional camera orientation tracking was silky smooth and judder free. I reported this earlier. Hopefully further timewarp optimization will yield a big benefit.

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

I have one question if anyone can help. I have configured all settings as recommended in the forum (shadows off and other stuff) and can fly alone without any judder, smooth as silk. But when I put some AI the judder appears. The CPU use is high but not 100% and de GPU use is around 50% or less, but the FPS drop below 75. Do you think my CPU can be a bottleneck or is any other configuration I can adjust?

Thank you in advance.

Can you tell me what module and scenario you were testing with? I can try to recreate it.

thnx

hsb

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I have the F15 standalone, so I'll see what I do.

For reference, my system is Win 10 Pro x64, 4790K, GTX980. Neither overclocked.

hsb

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Thank you in advance.

Very interesting you noted the cockpit feeling small. I have been in several real military cockpits over the years… one thing I did notice is the cockpit does feel scaled a bit small in DK2. When I look at the stick and throttle is when it’s most noticeable. I’m sure over time most of these things will be addressed. It’s too early to have much of an opinion on this... the experts will figure out what’s best over time. I am having a blast though with DCS/DK2!

Very interesting you noted the cockpit feeling small. I have been in several real military cockpits over the years… one thing I did notice is the cockpit does feel scaled a bit small in DK2. When I look at the stick and throttle is when it’s most noticeable. I’m sure over time most of these things will be addressed. It’s too early to have much of an opinion on this... the experts will figure out what’s best over time. I am having a blast though with DCS/DK2!

It's related to IPD.

If your own IPD is smaller than the one in game (i.e. distance between the viewports), then your brain will interpret your head (or at least the distance between eyes) as being bigger than it actually is and the cockpit will feel smaller.

When I tried the OR on another sim where the IPD was dynamically configurable in game, I had fun with max IPD value, I felt like my head was crammed into a toy :D

Edited by PiedDroit
typo
  • Like 1

It's related to IPD.

If your own IPD is smaller than the one in game (i.e. distance between the viewports), then your brain will interpret your head as being bigger than it actually is and the cockpit will feel smaller.

When I tried the OR on another sim where the IPD was dynamically configurable in game, I had fun with max IPD value, I felt like my head was crammed into a toy :D

Thanks PiedDroit! That’s why I love this place… someone always has helpful answers!

Thanks PiedDroit! That’s why I love this place… someone always has helpful answers!

Welcome :thumbup:

@Carabassa and rjetster1:

I think the value for the IPD is the eye_shift parameter in Stereo.lua (one for each eye).

You should try different (smaller) values to see if it has an impact on scaling.

EDIT: in \DCS World OpenBeta\Config\MonitorSetup

Edited by PiedDroit

I still think it gives you a good feel as to what it's like in a cockpit, regardless of making things look a bit smaller. I did find the A10C quite small though compared to the BlackShark and the World War 2 Aircraft. Does anyone know the reason for this?

I wish there was a setting like in Flyinside FSX where you can actually adjust the size of the cockpit using keyboard keys, but the CV1 is going to get 2 screens and an adjuster on the device for ipd, so I'm not sure if that will help to increase the size of the cockpits.

What will happen if I make my ipd smaller in the rift setting? Will it make the A10C cockpit look bigger I wonder?

F15 from FC3. Custom mission clear weather at 12 AM. Starting from random airport.

Every else default.

Thank you for your answer.

So 150 FPS when doing free flight on the F15. But on the Intercept mission, it immediately drops to 75.

hsb

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

What will happen if I make my ipd smaller in the rift setting? Will it make the A10C cockpit look bigger I wonder?

Wrong IPD setting will only make you sick, but it will not make things smaller or bigger as far as i'm aware. Nothing we can do about it on the user side.

Wrong IPD setting will only make you sick, but it will not make things smaller or bigger as far as i'm aware. Nothing we can do about it on the user side.

This is what I thought as well, it will only make it harder for your eyes to merge the image but the scale should be the same.

The main thing that the ipd in the rift does is to make it so that you can look straight ahead and have the images in the rift in the right place.

If not then you need to go cross eyed to some extent. So its not really scaling just moving each view in and out to match our eye position when relaxed and looking forward.

I know people as large as I am that have different ipd's. Mine is quite wide, some are smaller but they are not going to see a larger cockpit than I do in relation to themselves because they are the same size as me, just a different ipd.

Anyhow, that is the intention of setting the ipd in the rift. Camera settings that the game has could do something different I suppose. It might have a pilot model that it is scaling, i.e. change the eyes and the pilot scale also changes. Dont know but it should not necessarily scale your environment.

Just to add, I dont know if modifying those parameters will change the scale as I have never tried. Others say it might so I am not saying they are wrong, just pointing out that this would be a glitch in the graphics engine and not represent what actually happens with humans.

Okay, I'm back from doing a bit of testing. I found there isn't anything wrong with the cockpits size since all you have to do is lean forward a little in the Rift and hit the re-center key you have set for yourself in-game. My center key is number 5 by default. Doing this then places you further back in the Cockpit if you prefer. You can even adjust how you are sat by ducking your head slightly and hitting re-center key.

I also tried snap views and they seem to work and even allow you to still look around in the Rift. This I think will come in real handy when wanting to look at the CDU. I'm going to check later to see if it's easy to press the CDU buttons once in snap view.

Just to add, I dont know if modifying those parameters will change the scale as I have never tried. Others say it might so I am not saying they are wrong, just pointing out that this would be a glitch in the graphics engine and not represent what actually happens with humans.

Changing the settings in DCS to the ipd settings I have in the DK2 Config utility has worked a treat for me.

Take a look at this link rather then me explain it. This guy gave me my ipd setting to use in the DCS settings and I see things much clearer. Remember to save the original file though if you want to give it a go.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=150438

From the testing I am doing right now ... the settings in Config/MonitorSetup/Stereo.lua have no effect in DCS 1.5 BETA VR mode. I am throwing some wild values into these settings and nothing looks different.

What are you guys doing different to me?

* Update - It doesn't work. I'm calling BS on this one*

Edited by vicx
update

Same here. No difference seen when modifying the stereo.lua file.

hsb

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

Well, it does, I can confirm first hand.

I think you are confusing IPD in the rift (optics) and IPD in-game (rendering, the one I'm talking about)

Same here. No difference seen when modifying the stereo.lua file.

hsb

Try creating a copy of Stereo.lua in your Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Config\MonitorSetup\, rename the config "Stereo2".

The DCS graphic engine can use this value, here are the screenshots (non-open beta, values 0.02 and 0.16):

In the open-beta I can't get a view like this so I can't tell if it works (last screenshot).

2075927616_ScreenShot2015-10-17at16h14m50s.thumb.jpg.f3182943e1aa2a98ec25e36fd5604dcf.jpg

968296967_ScreenShot2015-10-17at16h15m57s.thumb.jpg.4d8ffdae953985785e982e99b30ab4f8.jpg

1468783605_ScreenShot2015-10-17at16h47m18s.thumb.jpg.09f1b1dd98108f3c007711b2c6193482.jpg

Edited by PiedDroit