[DCS World - A10-C] - RWR Audio Expansion

v1zWDrq.jpg

RAE - [R]WR [A]UDIO [E]XPANSION v3.1

Assigns every radar equipped vehicle (land / air / naval) & active radar missile in DCS World A-10C with it's own unique RWR audio cue for both acquisition and locking to better assist in tracking and identifying potential threats as displayed visually by the radar warning receiver. All of the audio is brand new and created by myself, but draws reference/inspiration from the F-16 RWR sounds from Falcon BMS as a guide, with hardly any real world data to go on and seeing as both aircraft employ the AN/ALR-69 it seemed only logical that the sound set created for Falcon would work with the A-10C, however, whether it is realistic or not is another matter.

VIDEO DEMO

DOWNLOAD

RAE MOD v3.1

Full mod, all files.

DropBox - RAE MOD (V3.1) FULL

User File Section - RAE MOD (3.1) FULL

476th vFG Website - RAE MOD (3.1) FULL [mirror kindly supplied by Eddie at the 476th vFG]

RAE MOD v3.1 UPDATE ONLY

3.1 update files for those who have already installed v3.0. Overwrite original installed files with those found in the update folder.

DropBox - RAE MOD (V3.1) UPDATE ONLY

OPTIONAL FILES

Added a simple flash projector app, RAE Tac Viewer, that lets you preview the radar system along with its RWR code and locking + acquistion sound cues.

DropBox - RAE TAC VIEWER V3

476th vFG Website - RAE TAC VIEWER [mirror kindly supplied by Eddie at the 476th vFG]

Compatibility with Android or other cell phones requires an SWF application, for android SWF Player - Flash File Viewer will work fine

Buttons need long presses instead of taps to avoid frame "skipping" on Android.

bU5CB3P.jpg

Gs3qE6I.jpg

Klplqqh.jpg

INSTALLATION

Either manually copy the files to your DCS World installation and overwrite or utilize JSGME to install the mod.

The file : DCS WorldSoundsEffectsAircraftsCockpitsRWRThreatNewUS.wav

is optional, although it will be installed with both JSGME or by copy/pasting the folder. It simply replaces the new version of ED's "new threat" sound with the old one which is currently installed with the game but unused. If you do not want to use this version simply either do not copy it over or replace it with the original (from the originals folder) after installation.

Backup copies of the two overwritten files are included should you wish/need to roll it back from a manual installation.

UNINSTALL

Either use JSGME or

Remove Directory - DCS WorldSoundssdefAircraftsCockpitsRWRRWRExpanded

Remove Directory - DCS WorldSoundsEffectsAircraftsCockpitsRWRRWRExpanded

Replace - DCS WorldModsaircraftsA-10CCockpitScriptsAN_ALR69VdeviceALR69_param.lua with ALR69_param.lua from the ORIGINALS folder in the rar file

Replace - DCS WorldSoundsEffectsAircraftsCockpitsRWRThreatNewUS.wav with ThreatNewUS.wav from the ORIGINALS folder in the rar file.

UPDATES

Updated to V3.1:

• Added audio cues for all active radar guided missiles

Updated to V3:

• Added audio cues for all radar equipped naval units to RAE
  • TAC VIEW - Added Tac View reference for Naval Units in both desktop & mobile formats
  • Balanced some of the lock tone volumes

Update to V2:

Updated RWR symbols based on Eddies input.

• Remove the leading zeros from the single digit SAM systems (08 now = 8 etc.)
  • The P-19 Search RADAR RWR symbol changed to "S"

• TAC VIEW - Corrected SA radar code numbers (removed leading 0's) to align with the changes to RAE mod

• TAC VIEW - Added S300PS TR 30N6
  • TAC VIEW - Combined both mobile and desktop versions into one package

CREDITS

Tetra - Sound Design / LUA

Sumerion - Request

Eddie - Initial LUA layout / V2 update changes.

BMS Falcon - Audio references/inspiration

Edited by Tetra
Added 476th vFG mirrors from Eddie
  • Like 11

Documenting it on paper might be a bit tricky as not all of the systems share common attributes, nor are radar tones easy to explain, however if it would be helpful I could make a small standalone flash app that shows an image of each system and lets you play the sound associated with it, much like the Tactical Reference in BMS.

Well there's not much point in having such a complex system if you don't understand what all these noises mean.

In general even if the explanation of what the sound actually sounds like is largely imperfect, as long as its accurate enough for me to be able to load a mission with the appropriate SAM system and then be able to identify the tones described it'll do.

I'm clever, I can figure things out, as long as someone gives me the notes. :D

Warning: Nothing I say is automatically correct, even if I think it is.

very interesting

however the fact that both aircraft use the AN/ALR-69 doesn't mean that they have the same warning sounds

i believe that the default ones are very close to the real A10

thanks for sharing buddy keep up

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]W10(64bit)Asus Rog Strix Z370-F - i7 8700K - Dark Rock Pro 4 - 16 giga ram Corsair vengeance 3000 - MSI RTX 2070 Super - Asus Rog Phobeus soundcard - Z906 Surround speaker - Track ir5 - HOTAS Warthog

Nice, can you do this for F-15C ?

Current Flight Rig

i7 4960X @ 4.6Ghz

ASUS Rampage IV Formula

G.SKILL TridentX 2400Mhz 32GB DDR3

Crucial 1TB MX300 SSD

MSI Gaming X 1080Ti

Samsung 55" JS8000 SUHD 4K

Windows 10 x64

TrackIR 5, Warthog HOTAS

Saitek Pro Flight Combat Pedals

Custom Akers-Barnes, MkI eyeball.

very interesting

however the fact that both aircraft use the AN/ALR-69 doesn't mean that they have the same warning sounds

Not necessarily true, I've heard from some guys in the testers team who say the default RWR sounds in DCS A-10C are far from real, this could be closer to what the real thing is like.

very interesting

Thanks for the feedback guys, appreciate it. I agree with Mustang, as far as the vanilla RWR sounds go, there are currently only two of them in the game, (SearchNewUS.ogg & LockNewUs.ogg) and those two sounds are used for every single radar system. That probably isn't realistic considering, aside from displaying threats visually, the RWR's job is to generate audible tones in real time based on the type of radar emissions it is receiving.

Whether or not my sounds reflect what the real system sounds like properly, most likely not, (sadly most of that info seems to still be classified), aside from maybe the SA-3, but with no real-world data aside from a handful of F-16 cockpit videos and BMS to reference, these are the best representation I could manage.

The fact that ED have the lua script set up to allow for each different radar type to have it's own sounds would imply that they do intend to add this same functionality at a later date.

Edited by Tetra

Added a simple "tac" viewer to the initial post, just a flash projector that lets you flick through the various radar systems (land only for now, will get the air units done next) and preview the lock and acquisition tones along with the name and RWR icon code.

Edited by Tetra

Great mod!! Thank you!

... but ... I found one thing I find a bit strange:

regarding your RWRTacView_AA, the aquisition sound of several NATO radars is that well known "blip". But also this sound is used as lock sound for the Roland EWR!? If that is not an error, I find it quite confusing that a typical aquisition sound is in one case actually a lock indication.

Great mod!! Thank you!

... but ... I found one thing I find a bit strange:

regarding your RWRTacView_AA, the aquisition sound of several NATO radars is that well known "blip". But also this sound is used as lock sound for the Roland EWR!? If that is not an error, I find it quite confusing that a typical aquisition sound is in one case actually a lock indication.

Hi Flagrum, basically any sound which uses the original ED acquire "blip" isn't actually used in-game, to simplify things for me when making the flash app I just listed everything as it appears in the LUA file, however, some units do not "acquire" and some units do not "lock" if that makes any sense. For example the Roland EWR never "locks" but it tracks (acquires) so by default in the lua it's locking sound is set as default just to prevent breaking anything if things changed, the same applies to some other units such as the Vulcan which switches immediately from no tracking directly into a locked state.

I do apologise, it was kind of confusing so I have uploaded a version removing any buttons that do not play back the correct sounds and also added all the acquisition sounds for the air units too.

Thanks for checking it out :thumbup:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/916762/RAE_TACVIEW.rar

Hi Flagrum, basically any sound which uses the original ED acquire "blip" isn't actually used in-game, to simplify things for me when making the flash app I just listed everything as it appears in the LUA file, however, some units do not "acquire" and some units do not "lock" if that makes any sense. For example the Roland EWR never "locks" but it tracks (acquires) so by default in the lua it's locking sound is set as default just to prevent breaking anything if things changed, the same applies to some other units such as the Vulcan which switches immediately from no tracking directly into a locked state.

I do apologise, it was kind of confusing so I have uploaded a version removing any buttons that do not play back the correct sounds and also added all the acquisition sounds for the air units too.

Thanks for checking it out :thumbup:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/916762/RAE_TACVIEW.rar

Thanks mate! It really adds to the immersion factor!

edit: one more thought: you coded it in flash ... is it perhaps possible to make an android version? So one could learn the sounds whenever he has a minute to spare - like on the way to work, at the breakfeast break, lunch, way back home, on the toilet, etc. ... endless possibilities! :-)

edit2: even if i may sound greedy ... but when my mind once started to work ... hehe. Well, another idea, extending the previous one: what about adding a questionaire mode? You hear a random sound and you must answer which system the sound belongs to (multiple choice, with the pictures).

Edited by Flagrum

Nice, can you do this for F-15C ?

Hi Dredd, I'm afraid I don't have FC3 sadly at the moment, it is possible it could be ported, it really depends on how the FC3 lua for handling RWR is handled.

Thanks mate! It really adds to the immersion factor!

edit: one more thought: you coded it in flash ... is it perhaps possible to make an android version? So one could learn the sounds whenever he has a minute to spare - like on the way to work, at the breakfeast break, lunch, way back home, on the toilet, etc. ... endless possibilities! :-)

edit2: even if i may sound greedy ... but when my mind once started to work ... hehe. Well, another idea, extending the previous one: what about adding a questionaire mode? You hear a random sound and you must answer which system the sound belongs to (multiple choice, with the pictures).

Sadly I have no experience with coding for android, the above "app" is incredibly simple, it's more like a webpage contained in an application than anything. What I could do is try and host it somewhere so it could be accessible via your phone on the web, but I couldn't provide a standalone app. I could however make a random quiz based off of the above if it would be of interest to a few people. Thanks for the feedback :)

Hi Dredd, I'm afraid I don't have FC3 sadly at the moment, it is possible it could be ported, it really depends on how the FC3 lua for handling RWR is handled.

Sadly I have no experience with coding for android, the above "app" is incredibly simple, it's more like a webpage contained in an application than anything. What I could do is try and host it somewhere so it could be accessible via your phone on the web, but I couldn't provide a standalone app. I could however make a random quiz based off of the above if it would be of interest to a few people. Thanks for the feedback :)

I have no idea what it takes to make something working for android or what is possible with flash as such. My thinking was just that android provides a flash player and I figgured, that it could perhaps be just as easy as to set a different target for the compiliation (or no target at all, just "vanilla flash"?).

I have no idea what it takes to make something working for android or what is possible with flash as such. My thinking was just that android provides a flash player and I figgured, that it could perhaps be just as easy as to set a different target for the compiliation (or no target at all, just "vanilla flash"?).

You were quite correct :) Re-worked it so it will run in SWF format, hopefully without any issues (although on my phone you need to do long held presses on the buttons instead of tapping them otherwise it jumps 2 frames each time instead of one), link on the first page or here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/916762/RAE_TACVIEW_MOBILECOMPATIBLE.rar you will also need something such as SWF Player for android > https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.issess.flashplayer

Edited by Tetra

This is a great mod, thanks for making it :)

Some have used BMS files privately etc, but due to copyright they cannot be distributed. Having an original sound mod is a great help. :)

I'm off to try and convince someone to put the LUA hooks in for those into FC3 ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

The RWR in-game only resembles the real deal, and it's missing a huge amount of features, including the sounds.

Just to give you food for thought, how can you tell which radars are STT on you vs. search?

very interesting

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda