Shein's X-55 Rhino A-10C Profile

Shein

Hey guys. The X-55's are shipping out, and I think I'm one of the first to get one. As such, I have thrown together a profile for the A-10C to get those of you with X-55's on your feet and flying fast as possible! :pilotfly:

AS OF 12/02/2014 I HAVE REMADE IT FOR DCS 1.2.11!!!!

YES IT ALL WORKS. YES EVEN THE SLEW AND SPEEDBRAKES!

1/06/2015 Fixed a speedbrake glitch where it wouldn't work with certain pink switch selections. SHOULD BE 100% now.

The profile I created takes its cues HEAVILY from the venerable X-52 SFJackBauer profile that almost everyone with X-52's used. Those of you coming from that stick should feel right at home. Other than that, I used the real A-10 hotas layout to chose what's what.

Here is a handy (no laughing!) MS paint layout to give you the breakdown:

attachment.php?attachmentid=108402&stc=1&d=1417578959

FAQ:

Q: Why did you make this profile? what's the point?

A: It's to get new X-55 users into the air with arguably DCS's most popular title as quick as possible. It is by no means perfect or exactly what everyone wants, but rather, a foundation to get you up in the air quick as possible.

Q: Why did you do what you did with the speedbrakes?

A: The "slider" isn't really a slider on the X-55 (my other gripe with the stick, aside from the lack of 2 stage trigger) so as such, incremental speedbrakes are impossible to have like they were on the X-52. However, I believe having speedbrakes that you can open part way are important, so the solution I came up with is the best I could do. Open them incrementally with the push button, then when you're done push the slider forward to retract. Just remember to return the slider to the original position when you're done before you try opening them again! (If you're flown a Mooney M-20C in real life, this'll be natural to you ;-) )

Q: You could have done this/that with shift keys! Why no shift key?

A: One of the main things that attracted me to the X-55 was the fact that I could bind almost all the essential commands without needing a shift key. So I avoided using it.

Q: This or that doesn't work! What's wrong?

A: Send me a PM immediately so I can correct it.

Q: I don't like this binding, setup, or specific thing you did!

A: So change it! rebinding is not rocket science. This profile is free, and I fully intend for you all to modify it to your heart's content. The keys that are left unbound in the picture, I thought very long and hard about what to assign them to. In the end, I thought to myself ultimately every person may want something different for those, so I'll leave them open.

DETAILED INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS NOW WITH PICTURES!

1. Unzip my .rar anywhere you like. Desktop is nice and easy if you have a clean one.

2. Fire up DCS World

3. Go into options and click the controls tab. MAKE SURE you're on A-10C SIM (Circled in red) Click anywhere in the keyboard category (also circled in red), and click load profile like so: attachment.php?attachmentid=94802&stc=1&d=1393360061

In the box that comes up, click SheinX55keyboard.lua, and click ok.

4. Repeat these steps for the throttle. Click anywhere in the throttle category (hover your mouse over the category name to make sure) and this time load Sheinx55THROTTLE.lua.

Like so: attachment.php?attachmentid=94803&stc=1&d=1393360061

5. Repeat these steps for the Joystick. Click anywhere in the joystick category (hover your mouse over the category name to make sure) and this time load SheinX55JOYSTICK.lua.

Like so: attachment.php?attachmentid=94804&stc=1&d=1393360061

6. Now leave DCS world and return to your desktop. Put the "sheinx55A10cmakVI.pr0" file in this location: attachment.php?attachmentid=94807&stc=1&d=1393364458

7. Now in your taskbar, and every time you restart your computer or go to fire up DCS you must do this, select the profile. Find the Rhino icon, it looks like this:

attachment.php?attachmentid=94808&stc=1&d=1393364458

Right click it (left clicking opens the software) and select the profile. Like so:

attachment.php?attachmentid=94809&stc=1&d=1393364458

You're now ready to rock! Enjoy :pilotfly::pilotfly::pilotfly:

Feedback, suggestions, comments, all welcome!

step1.jpg.bf14b5cca49ba6cb0cc83fd1e25044dc.jpg

step3.jpg.c83b8d87d6273702b15dadc9c9857d5b.jpg

step4.jpg.31aa6196c5f381c056e172428c4cb2aa.jpg

x55fileloation.png.72c5c7a4b64a6911c58f90f97edce7b0.png

x55fileloation2.png.2182c87c23b13c93be65560851127098.png

x55fileloation3.png.fbccd44e89e2bf7694dec45ae3d847b1.png

X55A-10C.thumb.jpg.c0522f0772a813f90e07243517d30603.jpg

Shein's X55 A-10C Profile.rar

Edited by Shein
Redid everything YET AGAIN tested everything, it all works!!!!!! HORRAY!!!
  • Like 1

Not sure what you're asking... set up in game? you mean how do you load up the .lua files? if that's what you're asking, make sure the menu has "a-10 sim" and "all" in the 2 drop down menus, then click anywhere in the appropriate column, and the click the "load profile" button. Make sure, since they're separate that you load the right .lua file for the right device (stick for stick, throttle for throttle. I believe the order is keyboard, throttle, then stick but it could be different for you)

Is the stick with 200 bucks? yes absolutely. The sensors are spot on and it has all the buttons and rotaries you could need. My only gripe is the lack of 2-stage trigger but it can be forgiven.

What don't I like about it? well what I just said, the trigger. Other than that it's fantastic.

Not sure what you're asking... set up in game? you mean how do you load up the .lua files? if that's what you're asking, make sure the menu has "a-10 sim" and "all" in the 2 drop down menus, then click anywhere in the appropriate column, and the click the "load profile" button. Make sure, since they're separate that you load the right .lua file for the right device (stick for stick, throttle for throttle. I believe the order is keyboard, throttle, then stick but it could be different for you)

Is the stick with 200 bucks? yes absolutely. The sensors are spot on and it has all the buttons and rotaries you could need. My only gripe is the lack of 2-stage trigger but it can be forgiven.

What don't I like about it? well what I just said, the trigger. Other than that it's fantastic.

Thanks, and no sorry I just meant like ummm, how does it preform in game, the stick and throttle set up I meant. I may order one this week end, I'd say there are almost all positive reviews so far, might give it another week.

Pricks!!!!!!:joystick:

Gonna be awhile before we get it down here

Intel i5 7600K @ 4.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4 @ 3200MHz | MSI RTX 4060 Gaming X 8G | WD Black NVMe 2TB | Sound Blaster Audigy RX | MSI Z270 Gaming M3 | Corsair H80i v2 | Corsair RM750x | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS Flight Pack | TrackIR 5 | Windows 10 Home 64-bit |

Sig1.png

The design of the X-55 itself is a cross between the A-10 and the F-16. I haven't flown BMS with it yet, but it works out great for the A-10; has all the buttons you need without any shift keys (like with the x-52)

I'm missing boat and microphone switch in your layout: Using the unused paddle on the stick as a modifier would be a good idea in my opinion. :smilewink:

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i9-9900@5Ghz, 32 Gig RAM, MSI RTX 3080 TI, 2 TB SSD, 43" 2160p@1440p monitor.

Do you think there will be a "Pro" version in the near future worth waiting for ?

IMHO, this already looks like a "Pro" edition (e.g. like X52Pro compared to the original "Star Wars" X52). The X65 would be the next Pro variant, though with FF only. I doubt they would release another "hi-end" (like X65) HOTAS system so quickly.

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Thanks for the profile! I still haven't tried it in DCS, but my main gripe is that the throttle friction wheel seems to have no effect on my throttle. Has anyone else experienced this?

Oh god not again.. Saitek had this issue with the X65F and I thought it wouldn't be repeated in the 55 because of a few different pieces I've seen in the pictures of the internals. For the 65, the grease + some arch pieces made the throttle tension adjustment useless. Saitek eventually fixed by using another grease or less grease. Some RU boys also took it upon themselves to just remove the internal arch pieces. REF: http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3146091/all/Inside_View_of_Saitek_X65.html

But at least they were smart enough this time to make the tension adjustment a wheel on the side instead of a soft allen head screw that stripped when you tried to turn it! :doh:

Thanks for the profile! I still haven't tried it in DCS, but my main gripe is that the throttle friction wheel seems to have no effect on my throttle. Has anyone else experienced this?

I do feel as if there is a limited range of tension one being extreme and one being weaker but not free always feel a bit of resistance on the lowest setting

Can you try to assign one slider to the Zoom in axes and check if it's still "shaking" like the X52 Pro slider? You have more than one slider? Is it a slider you have mapped the speed brakes to?

EDIT: And how is the PAC-1 switch setup working? Does it work fine with the extra assignment?

Edited by HiJack

I'm missing boat and microphone switch in your layout: Using the unused paddle on the stick as a modifier would be a good idea in my opinion. :smilewink:

One of the things I looked forward to most with the X-55 was not having to use a shift key, as such, I made the profile without one. The boat and mic switch were the least used switches on the HOTAS when I flew the X-52, so as such, they were triage'd out. There are some unused toggles, bind em up! I made this profile as a platform to get people in the air with something familiar, not an end-all one and done profile that's tuned to perfection. Modify it however you like!

Can you try to assign one slider to the Zoom in axes and check if it's still "shaking" like the X52 Pro slider? You have more than one slider? Is it a slider you have mapped the speed brakes to?

EDIT: And how is the PAC-1 switch setup working? Does it work fine with the extra assignment?

I don't believe there is more than one slider. I'm not familiar with the new X-55 software yet; hence the missing slew control and speedbrakes. Rest assured when I get it down (or if someone else gets it before me) I'll update this thread.

PAC-1 is the grey switch on the side of the stick. The trigger is sadly, single stage, so some liberties had to be taken.

Oh god not again.. Saitek had this issue with the X65F and I thought it wouldn't be repeated in the 55 because of a few different pieces I've seen in the pictures of the internals. For the 65, the grease + some arch pieces made the throttle tension adjustment useless. Saitek eventually fixed by using another grease or less grease. Some RU boys also took it upon themselves to just remove the internal arch pieces. REF: http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3146091/all/Inside_View_of_Saitek_X65.html

But at least they were smart enough this time to make the tension adjustment a wheel on the side instead of a soft allen head screw that stripped when you tried to turn it! :doh:

Thanks for the link. I'll have to check that out.

How is the feel of the stick in terms of controlling the plane?Saitek and their simple gimbal has never felt right to me but I may pick this up just for the price and buttons.

"Its easy,place the pipper on target and bombs away." :pilotfly:

i7-8700k/GTX 1080ti/VKB-GladiatorPRO/VKB-T-rudder Pedals/Saitek X55 throttle

Shein...Thanks for the profile! Works pretty good too!!! I have some questions for building a profile on the sticks tho... I've mapped the HOTAS like I want it but it saves it as a PRO file...DCS does not recognize that file type so I can't load my profile in DCS...THOUGHTS?

Shein...Thanks for the profile! Works pretty good too!!! I have some questions for building a profile on the sticks tho... I've mapped the HOTAS like I want it but it saves it as a PRO file...DCS does not recognize that file type so I can't load my profile in DCS...THOUGHTS?

The .pro file is designed for the Saitek software to use, not DCS.

The OP did not use the Saitek software at all. He created/edited custom lua flies (using any programming text editor - not Windows Notepad) which is why they work directly with the sim.

Edited by cichlidfan

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup: