TGT Point Elevation

StrongHarm

I'm sure this must have been covered before, but I can't find a related post.

After adding a TGT Point to a KA-50 in the editor, after uncaging the Shval it autoslews (if selected on PVI) to that TGT Point correctly .. however, the slew point is very low compared to the actual location of the TGT Point. In other words the horizontal slew is perfect, but I have to slew 'up' to site the TGT Point.

Does the Shval only slew to the coord minus elevation (in this case the terrain elevation is at 800m.. is it pointing at the proper coords at 0m elevation?) or am I just doing something incorrectly?

It's a good thing that this is Early Access and we've all volunteered to help test and enhance this work in progress... despite the frustrations inherent in the task with even the simplest of software... otherwise people might not understand that this incredibly complex unfinished module is unfinished. /light-hearted sarcasm

target points in the PVI-800 do not contain elevation data. only target points made in ABRIS with Datalink contain elevation.

To what does the Shkval then actually slew to? My guess would be the ABRIS - as I never had the described problem with target points defined in the ME.

But then, the issue at hand could only be explained if the ABRIS was off? I.e. falling back to the actual PVI coordinates when slewing the Shkval?

No, my Shkval points to ground level - at least if I had set up the target point in the mission editor. I place it on top of a hill and the Shkval slews correctly onto that hilltop.

I know that there were discussions already about how to enter the elevation data in the PVI - or rather the lack of this capability. But at least - however this can be explained - for coordinates originating form the mission editor, the elevation data is present.

Yes, I agree Flagrum. It must be the mission. I've been working on this mission for years. I can only guess that they must have pushed a fix that didn't deprecate sometime since I started working on it.

I created another mission in the same area with 1 tank and 1 KA-50. The auto-slew worked correctly. I went back into the original mission and deleted all TGT Points and recreated them, the issue still exists. At least I know. Thanks for the info.

It's a good thing that this is Early Access and we've all volunteered to help test and enhance this work in progress... despite the frustrations inherent in the task with even the simplest of software... otherwise people might not understand that this incredibly complex unfinished module is unfinished. /light-hearted sarcasm

So are we saying that NAV TGT points from the mission editor now behave like ones entered in mission (with no elevation data)? That's a bit of a bother for preset target points, but it does seem a little more likely to be accurate behavior—I thought it was strange that there would be another way to enter target points with hidden elevation data, but I didn't have any evidence to point either direction. I guess this resolves it.

Fortunately, I haven't written about slewing to NAV TGT points in my Ka-50 guide yet, so I don't have to change anything. <.<

Black Shark, Harrier, and Hornet pilot

Many Words - Serial Fiction | Ka-50 Employment Guide | Ka-50 Avionics Cheat Sheet | Multiplayer Shooting Range Mission

Yes thank you Flagrum, I did read that post as well. It seems that the issue is engrained in my mission since it was created prior to the update that corrected TGT Point elevation disparities. I'm going to see if I can identify the relevant code in the mission header/parameters. I'll update this post if I do.

I've completed my analysis of issue:

'Autoslew points to elevation 0 MSL for TGT Points regardless of AGL alt of that coord'

I've attached the missions I used for troubleshooting in case anyone would like to corroborate, or ED is interested in investigating.

Here's what I did:

Original Mission

1. Deleted all TGT Points and recreated

2. Created new aircraft with same TGT Points

3. Deleted everything from the mission, readded KA50 with TGT Points

4. Created Aircraft with ramp start and air start to compare

RESULT: Problem persists

New Mission

1. Created new map

2. Added KA-50, target, bullseye, TGT Points to same cords

3. Created Aircraft with ramp start and air start to compare

RESULT: Could not reproduce issue with fresh map

I went through the code of both missions and found no obvious difference between the two that could be the root of the problem.

CONCLUSION: Old core map contains (or propagates) bad elevation information

TestTGTpoints.zip