Adding a weapon to the game

So to go along with my USN Mi-8 skins, I am trying to create a new lightweight torpedo model, skin it, and use it in designed missions. I am fine with just treating it as a bomb (Mk-82) for now.

So far, I've made the following changes:

1) Bazar/BombTable.sht:

New entry name = "mk-54" with matching file name, index=94, otherwise same values as the mk-82 entry

2) Bazar/Config/Weapons/bombs_data.lua:

added a new entry with name = Mk_54, using the Mk_82 warhead. type=0.

3) Bazar/Config/Weapons/bombs_table.lua:

added a new declare_bomb("Mk_54",...) call of wsType_Bomb_a, "bomb-common", etc. matching the Mk-82 definition

4) Scripts/Database/db_weapons_data.lua:

added a new entry for the Mk-54 torpedo, attribute 4,5,9,94 (94 was the index in BombTable.sht above)

The problem I am having seems to be the declare_bomb() call. My call has 7 arguments, matching the Mk-82. However, declare_bomb() calls form_bomb() which uses the name in the first argument ("Mk_54" in my case) to set wstype_name = _G[name], which then builds it into a ws_type tuple { wsType_Bomb, level3, wstype_name } on line 16 of bombs_table.lua.

Every time I try to actually load a mission with my new weapon attached to a plane, I get a crash because ws_type.3 is not a number... the _G[] apparently didn't resolve. If I explicitly pass in this argument as a number, it still crashes with the same error.

So...

does anyone know how this is supposed to be resolved or what I am missing? Is there a better (easier?) way to add a new weapon to the game?

I've been trying to search the forums with no luck, most threads that might even be slightly relevant are multiple years old and/or talk about retired .lua structures.

thanks!

--gos

Oh, and since people like pictures:

f5sf6iQ.png

BTW, the exact function that seems to be the problem is this:

declare_bomb("Mk_54",
            _("Mk-54 Lightweight Torpedo"),
            "mk-54",
            wsType_Bomb_A,
            "bomb-common",
     {
	fm = {
	        mass            = 232.000000,
		caliber         = 0.273000,
                       cx_coeff        = {1.000000, 0.290000, 0.710000, 0.140000, 1.280000},
                       L               = 2.210000,
                       I               = 94.425933,
                       Ma              = 2.746331,
                       Mw              = 2.146083,
                       wind_time       = 1000.000000,
                       wind_sigma      = 80.000000,
               },
	warhead = warheads["Mk_82"],
     },
     {
         char_time       = 20.320000    
     },
     nil,
           );

Which results in this error:

00035.781 ERROR   DCS: Cannot load information: bombs.13.name is not a number

But if I just remove arguments 8/9, to match the Mk-82 declaration, I get this error:

00036.095 ERROR   wInfo: While loading weapons.bombs.Mk_54: weapons_table.weapons.bombs.Mk_54.ws_type.3 is not a number

Any ideas?