DCS World 2.5 --> Full Terrain Coverage

Automan

DCS World 2.5 --> Full Terrain Coverage  

147 members have voted

1. 1. DCS World 2.5 --> Full Terrain Coverage

• Yes
    • No
    • You're crazy

Since DCS 2.5 is not out yet, I was thinking that there is still room for some big changes

One of the thing that have in common most of big flight simulators, like FSX-P3D-Xplane-AeroflyFS2, is the terrain coverage of the entire world.

I don't think that process the terrain DEM data at a basic level of detail, can slower down the appearence of 2.5.

In this way, Caucasus, Nevada,Strict of Hormuz, Normandy should be considered as Theaters, and not as maps.

With this change, DCS will not leave out from the sim the use of strategic bombers, that all we know have a very long run to play their bombing sessions:

You can takeoff from a B1 in the UK(OUT OF THEATER), flying at 40.000 feet over Mediterranean Sea, for strike in the Strict of Hormuz (THEATER)

MainMenulogo.png.6e3b585a30c5c1ba684bc2d91f3e37f0.png

ACER Predator Orion 9000: W10H | Intel i9-7900X OC@4.5Ghz | 8x16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport | Sapphire GTX1080TI | Intel 900P 480GB | Intel 600P 256GB | HP EX950 1TB | Seagate Firecuda 2TB

ACER Predator XB281HK: 28" TN G-SYNC 4K@60hz

ThrustMaster Warthog Hotas, TPR, MFD Cougar Pack, HP Reverb Pro

razo+r I know there are similar post, but this is a specific poll.

ACER Predator Orion 9000: W10H | Intel i9-7900X OC@4.5Ghz | 8x16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport | Sapphire GTX1080TI | Intel 900P 480GB | Intel 600P 256GB | HP EX950 1TB | Seagate Firecuda 2TB

DCS should be a collection of maps to at the end cover the entire world.......

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

---- " In Peace.....Prepare to War "--------

Wishlist : F-4 Phantom / F-20 TigerShark / Su-34

Processor Core i7 4790, 32 Gb RAM, 2 Tb SSHD, GTX 750 2Gb, 1920X1080 Gaming Monitor, Senze Joypad, Windows 8.1 Pro 64Bit, VMware Workstation 12 for WindowsXP with Office 2007 and Linux OpenSUSE for Net Access.

I don't think that process the terrain DEM data at a basic level of detail, can slower down the appearence of 2.5.

I don't think you have any idea what is involved. Aside from that, how can adding work not delay the appearance of v2.5?

and

Yes, this is a redundant and useless poll.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

yeah, so when you fly from Caucasus to NTTR, you get a Pop Up indicating you do not own this area.

Nope, not gonna happen anytime soon, at least not on the consumer level.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

yeah, so when you fly from Caucasus to NTTR, you get a Pop Up indicating you do not own this area.

With a "collection" of maps i mean a short sample of different diverse world maps has ED is doing now.....but in the end "extend" those maps and cover the world.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

---- " In Peace.....Prepare to War "--------

Wishlist : F-4 Phantom / F-20 TigerShark / Su-34

Processor Core i7 4790, 32 Gb RAM, 2 Tb SSHD, GTX 750 2Gb, 1920X1080 Gaming Monitor, Senze Joypad, Windows 8.1 Pro 64Bit, VMware Workstation 12 for WindowsXP with Office 2007 and Linux OpenSUSE for Net Access.

I don't think you have any idea what is involved. Aside from that, how can adding work not delay the appearance of v2.5?

and

Yes, this is a redundant and useless poll.

Do you really think that load the DEM data of a terrain in Terrain SDK and leave the program automatically process the data AS IS (without manual correction normally used to fix holes and coastlines) to produce DCS world terrain format would require more than a month?

And yes, I know that this maybe another useless poll and I accept the criticism, but I'm not stupid, maybe crazy;)

And this is the point: You don't need a popup to indicate the area is not present, cause you own basic terrain coverage between Caucasus and NTTR.

In aeroflyFS2, the area not covered with details doesn't have airports, building,tree, etc, but you can fly at 30,000 feet without miss them....

Do you really think that load the DEM data of a terrain in Terrain SDK and leave the program automatically process the data AS IS (without manual correction normally used to fix holes and coastlines) to produce DCS world terrain format would require more than a month?

I think a month is very optimistic and even that still constitutes a delay.

And yes, I know that this maybe another useless poll and I accept the criticism, but I'm not stupid, maybe crazy;)

I never said, or implied, that you were stupid though I did select the third option in the poll. ;)

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

same as in the second link...

Not really: I specified LOW RES DEM (that mean 76m/pixel, a mere 30GB of data for all world), without textures, just a graphical depiction of terrain/water.

I think a month is very optimistic and even that still constitutes a delay.

I never said, or implied, that you were stupid though I did select the third option in the poll. ;)

Seeing the first results of the poll, I'm booking a visit to a mental health center :D

I think it's a decent idea for single player, although I don't think it'd actually offer much.

Not entirely sure it would work for multiplayer, probably have to say you can't connect if you don't own the terrains being used on the server.

Actually servers use NTTR or Caucasus, only one theater at a time, and this is right: you're playing in limited environment, with a limited number of players.

Instead, the SP campaigns can take advantage of this system, since theaters can be interconnected extending the possibilities of a long play for bombers,cargo,UAV (this mean more money for ED)

Now, since ED is putting so much effort to convert Caucasus to NTTR standards, in DCS 2.5 they can provide for free the basic terrain coverage, and require the user to buy the new Caucasus...

Am I Insane?

Whilst yes I would love a world map, even for a simplified one as OP suggested, the resources required would be off the scale and the storage space required and the computer specifications would be insanity. That being said I wish there was a way to implement the system that FSX/P3D have for their maps. Have a basic world map included that lacks detail with basic airbases (just a single colour basic elevation map would do, like Crimea in the current 1.5 Caucuses) and then have addon maps that improve a specific area. (The NTTR and Caucuses map would basically be those addons except we lack the base world map).

I'm sure someone will tell me that this isn't possible and with current resources like they are and tell me that I'm a silly dreamer :cry: Oh well.

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Generally I agree with this idea, for example FS2004 terrain is less than 1.5gb uncompressed, but I don't think the developers will ever take into consideration this improvement: they seems to be reluctant to accept the requests and proposals of the users.

It's sad...

build a "entire earth" have a series of issues outside of "copy paste" others simulator features.

The engine need reworked previously to work a "whole earth" system and see if the actual maps have compatible with a "whole earth" type. ED has implemented develop "steeps" to get more and more details and functionality on the simulator engine technology and that "request" has outside of the actual plans by have a very high milestone on a graphic engine.

Remember that is not only put a 1.5gb uncompressed texture and "viola" have a whole earth. If that will have easy as someone ask, surely ED had implement them some time ago, but surely the actual engine need build first some "milestones" previously to them.

ED has implemented develop "steeps" to get more and more details and functionality on the simulator engine technology and that "request" has outside of the actual plans by have a very high milestone on a graphic engine.

In this way ED will cover the 50% of available theaters in 30 years...and a seamless integration is not guaranteed anyway

Personally I don't want ANYTHING that would delay 2.5 or the new Caucuses even a SECOND longer.

So no.... I'm satisfied with what ED is already planning.

I don't want a delay too, since is not good have DCS splitted in two engines, but I'm not satisfied too: the theater thing is a big limitation.

In this way ED will cover the 50% of available theaters in 30 years...and a seamless integration is not guaranteed anyway

Actually, only ED build theatres, when 3rd parties get the SDK, learning them and start to build maps and making more and more options and ED improve DCS: W EDGE engine (the "expected" future mesh technology T-5), surely more and more context coming (same example on 2012, when ED only build modules and now, five years later, have seven 3rd parties build modules and more material).

And if you like 2.5 with world covered, make Caucasus, Hormuz and 4th Theatre a "long" delayed to "implement" that "milestone". About the seamless integration, all have subject to change.

Edited by Silver_Dragon

ED had implementing something called map clipping. If I am not wrong this is the next step allowing two distinct maps, that are actually neighbor to each other, to be somehow seamless transited from one to other, of course assuming you are owning both.

If this first step is here then rest is just of matter of time. I also prefer manually worked maps more than those automated generated... it is something very itchy with these automated things.

Romanian Community for DCS World

HW Specs: AMD 7900X, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090, HOTAS Virpil, MFG, CLS-E, custom

So, I think I know what OP is talking about. Have any of you heard of Interstellar Marines? A gamemode there has a "world" of 9 locations. Each one works on it's own server, with a loading screen as you disconnect and join the new server between doorways. I like the idea and that game does it well. It isn't seamless though, but chat works through all areas, as well as the in-game grouping.

Important disclaimer: IM runs on unity engine. It's been in steam early access for years now, with no real roadmap toward completion( 1 guy on staff)

Edited by AegisFX

Owned: Ryzen 3900x, MSI AMD 470x mobo, 32gb 3200MHz ram, Gtx 1660 Ti, 970 Evo Plus 500GB, MsFFB2, TIR5, TMWH+18c Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Buttkicker/SSA, WinWing F-18C . Next is VR for simpit

Art Of The Kill:

build a "entire earth" have a series of issues outside of "copy paste" others simulator features.

The engine need reworked previously to work a "whole earth" system and see if the actual maps have compatible with a "whole earth" type. ED has implemented develop "steeps" to get more and more details and functionality on the simulator engine technology and that "request" has outside of the actual plans by have a very high milestone on a graphic engine.

Remember that is not only put a 1.5gb uncompressed texture and "viola" have a whole earth. If that will have easy as someone ask, surely ED had implement them some time ago, but surely the actual engine need build first some "milestones" previously to them.

Yes but I know that is not an automatic process but the developers have surely a tool that can import satellite data and process it in a batch, producing a file readable by the sim.

The OP said no texture and just land/water in low resolution: without further refinements for fix errors in terrain, create textures, create assets, I don't think is a big delay.