Oil Temperature "stuck"

swagchimp

I followed the startup checklist in the manual and have trouble completing the warmup. I set up a mission on Caucasus in winter with about 10°C OAT, and while keeping the engine at 41%-44% RPM (and both oil and main radiators closed, as suggested in the manual), the oil temperature wouldn't rise a noticeable amount, certainly not to 40°C. Then when I put it at 51% RPM the oil temperature still would barely rise, while the CHT was well above 200°C. After I took off and had flown at full throttle and about 98% RPM for almost half an hour, the oil temperature was still way below operating level, while the CHT had normalised after I opened the louvers. I suppose this isn't mean to be that way, or is there something I'm missing?

Just took her for a ride without even going into the tutorial instructions or checking the manual. Oil cooler flaps fully closed all the time, temperature around 40°C max, even with the CHT hitting the roof. Tried to keep that roughly somewhere in between 200°C and 250°C which I also do in another flight sim with ASh-82 driven planes. Had no problems with the engine, but well within the flight I noticed that the green marked area (roughly 130-180°C) is way much lower and then I tried to get it down there by completely opening the louvers and oil cooler flaps as well, which was virtually impossible. Flew around with 7 on the MP gauge and 80% most of the time.

But I have to say the flight was fun. Such a breeze... twilightsmile.png

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

The real Yak will use a blocker panel in the oil cooler inlet for true cold weather winter ops, I can't barely get mine over 50 C in the winter time in SoCal. Have had to sit and warm-up for 15+ minutes occasionally just to get to where I was safe for run-up.

'Gimp (DISCO vVMA-122)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

A-4E | F-5E | F-14B | F/A-18C | AV-8B NA | UH-1H | FC3 | Yak-52 | KA-50 | Mi-8 | SA-342

i7 8700K | GTX 1070 Ti | 32GB 3000 DDR4

FAA Comm'l/Instrument, FAST Formation Wingman, Yak-52 Owner/Pilot

• ED Team

I think that the oil cooler from Mk IX is too much for Yak... So, a patch is coming... :)

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

Is there any plans to implement (via ground crew) to pull the prop through 7 rotations?

We also allow oil temp to be 40 degrees before we do our run ups and certainly before take off (we have an oil pre-heater in our YAK for the winter months).

Interestingly, if the cowl flaps friction is not set strong enough the cowl flaps will eventually close in flight resulting in a quick rise in Cylinder Head Temp (and a lovely hot smell). Is it planned to have this feature in DCS?

Yesterday I closed the cowl flaps and the CHT got to 300 degrees, nothing happens to the engine at all. Flew around for 20 mins with maxed out CHT.

InWin S Frame with Asus Z170 | i7-6700K @ 4.5 Water Cooled CPU and Graphics | 16GB DDR4 | GTX1070 | 240GB M.2 SSD | Warthog Hotas | MFG Crosswind | 40" Samsung 4K | CV1 | Replica MB Mk10 Ejection Seat with Gametrix 908

Is there any plans to implement (via ground crew) to pull the prop through 7 rotations?

We also allow oil temp to be 40 degrees before we do our run ups and certainly before take off (we have an oil pre-heater in our YAK for the winter months).

Interestingly, if the cowl flaps friction is not set strong enough the cowl flaps will eventually close in flight resulting in a quick rise in Cylinder Head Temp (and a lovely hot smell). Is it planned to have this feature in DCS?

Yesterday I closed the cowl flaps and the CHT got to 300 degrees, nothing happens to the engine at all. Flew around for 20 mins with maxed out CHT.

Yep its been asked for at Dev level.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
I think that the oil cooler from Mk IX is too much for Yak... So, a patch is coming... :)

Nice... but when? 100° C here for me (with 30°C mission setting temperature), or is this normal? I thought oil-temperature should never be in the red area?

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

• 1 month later...

Guys, honestly, the last time you sayed that the patch is coming, was 2 years ago ...

Sorry, MORE than 2 years ago by now ...

Is theyr any possibility that finally you REALLY do what you sayed, and finally fixe that aircraft ??

I own a Yak52 in France, and each time I fly on DCS, i'm crying.

Temperature not working

Unable to set manually Gyro

ADF not working at all

Flight model still not accurate, for an aerobatic aircraft that's a joke

Ok it's not a trial, but plz guys, I payed a full price for a full simulated Yak52.

So once for all, finish what I payed for plz

Sorry to be rude but after 2 years i'm getting tired of that situation

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

EASA CPL IRME/SE PBN - FI / FE - Yak-52 F-WRYJ owner

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

Dare I ask.......

Have there been any improvements in the last 9 months?

Just started flying this again and oil temp is still stuck in the red no matter what I try.

Is there any hope for this poor little module???

:(

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Intel i5 / 16gb RAM / Nvidia GeForce 1080Ti / Viewsonic 28" monitor / TM Warthog / TM Elite rudder pedals / TrackIR5

First flight sim: Psion 'Flight Simulator' (ZX Spectrum 48k)

On 5/10/2021 at 10:07 AM, ratherbegliding said:

Dare I ask.......

Have there been any improvements in the last 9 months?

Just started flying this again and oil temp is still stuck in the red no matter what I try.

Is there any hope for this poor little module???

😞

Yeah I noticed that, I don't have issues with it warming up, but in flight at around 2000 metres, at the Yak's cruising speed (240kmh) the oil temperature goes into the red with the radiator all the way open.

Sometimes flying at 3000 metres just takes it out of the red, but not by much. 

All my missions are never hotter than 20°C on the Caucasus map - which is where 99.9% of my flights take place on (and there it's usually set at ~15°C).

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Hi Northstar98,

So then that leads me on to my next question.....are there any consequences to flying around with oil temps in the red? 

(I know I wouldn't like to try it in real life!)

RBG

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Intel i5 / 16gb RAM / Nvidia GeForce 1080Ti / Viewsonic 28" monitor / TM Warthog / TM Elite rudder pedals / TrackIR5

First flight sim: Psion 'Flight Simulator' (ZX Spectrum 48k)

19 hours ago, ratherbegliding said:

Hi Northstar98,

So then that leads me on to my next question.....are there any consequences to flying around with oil temps in the red? 

(I know I wouldn't like to try it in real life!)

I've not had much in the way of issues so far, I once did have my engine stop, fortunately just after landing, but I'm pretty sure that was something else, given that I was immediately able to restart it an proceed to taxi.

As I said, easy majority of my flights are at 2km altitude, 240km/h indicated, 15°C in the mission editor (to hold 240 at that altitude doesn't necessitate maxing the throttle either - far from it), and most of my flights last between 30 minutes to an hour.

And I want to say that after 10 minutes, I run into oil overheating issues, though again, sometimes climbing another kilometre sometimes takes ~10°C off, putting it just shy of the red, but only just.

Then again, the Yak-52 doesn't have a damage model AFAIK (even though the WWII damage model should be fairly ideal for it, with it having the most similarity with the warbirds), so I wouldn't be surprised if engine damage from overheating isn't there either.

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

• NineLine changed the title to Oil Temperature "stuck"
  • NineLine locked this topic