Understanding ILSN

I set up a simple mission with a takeoff action from a base [WP0]. Then I place WP1 through WP4 along a route which takes me to another base. At that base the action is to 'land' which would be WP5. When on route I can only cycle through waypoints 1-4, WP 0 and WP 5 which represent the takeoff base and landing base do not show up. I can see when I press the '1' key a second time, in NAV mode, ILSN numbers appear in place of WP numbers. Sometimes I see ILSN display 5 or sometimes 6 but never can I cycle both. How does 5 and 6 relate to my waypoints? Are 5 and 6 my take off and landing bases or possibly does it relate to the direction from which I am approaching the landing at base WP5?

Thank you.

Yes, when you press the NAV button one time you are in Enroute Mode (NAV points), twice you are in Return Mode (toward the initial approach fix) and the third time you are in Landing Mode (toward the final approach fix). In return and in landing mode you can cycle through the airports number as you do with the Nav points.

I hope it helps...

Takeoff and Landing bases will not show as a waypoint on your instruments in Nav mode*, only in ILSN mode. This thread should also help and I have attached the pic I beileve is missing from the last post.

"Sometimes I see ILSN display 5 or sometimes 6 "

*This is because you must be at the last waypoint before the FAF is shown as an actual Waypoint in US aircraft.

IAF.JPG.90e14abbd9eeb5eada04d5cc16d936cd.JPG

I should have mentioned that I was flying an F15. not a Russian jet

Your post above, was that in reference to the F15 as well?

The Russian NAV is easy to understand with lines drawn between the waypoint, enroute and landing shown on the screen. In my above post I was referring to the F15 NAV and how its NAV works. Thats what I don't understand.

I come from Jane's f18 that had it all laid out on the HSI.

BTW, is there a graphic layout like what you see in the SU-27?

Thank you.

Edited by fitness88

I set up a simple mission with a takeoff action from a base [WP0]. Then I place WP1 through WP4 along a route which takes me to another base. At that base the action is to 'land' which would be WP5. When on route I can only cycle through waypoints 1-4, WP 0 and WP 5 which represent the takeoff base and landing base do not show up.

That is correct. You cycle WPs between your start point and end point, while in the primary NAV mode. When you switch to the RETURN submode, what you see depends on the aircraft you fly. In the RusFor aircraft you can cycle airbases using the tilde (~) key and you will see the direction and distances displayed change as you cycle. In the Su-25T, additionally you will see the airbase number code displayed as well so that you know exactly which base you have selected. Here they are:

Caucasus Airbase Codes-small.jpg

Crimea Airbase Codes-small.jpg

I can see when I press the '1' key a second time, in NAV mode, ILSN numbers appear in place of WP numbers. Sometimes I see ILSN display 5 or sometimes 6 but never can I cycle both. How does 5 and 6 relate to my waypoints?...

The AmFor aircraft display it differently. The number you see is the last WP +2. So, if you have TO, WP1, WP2, LAND. What you see will be: 4 ILSN when you go to the Return submode. Presumably "WP3" (so to speak) is the Initial Approach Point (Fix) and WP4 (i my example) is the base itself.

Also, you cannot select the return airbase as you can in the RusFor cockpits. The only way to change the briefed landing airbase is by calling "Inbound". The reply will come from the closest airbase and your Return nav data will change to reflect the new base.

Rich

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Mission builders can help the US pilots by simply creating an additional last WP in the general approach area of the desired airfield. This helps to put the aircraft in the right area to set up his landing. Because the ILSN point is (apparently)the end of the runway- you end up flying up to the airport and then having to maneuver out to set up an approach. I have found that it contributes to a real mess in busy servers- people landing in any direction, forcing bad approaches & crashing, etc etc