Binoculars

Teriander

You can zoom in with * on the numeric pad, but it's mostly not enough (at least for me) to spot targets.

Gyrostabilized 12- or 15-power binoculars like they used in Kosovo would be a neato addition. Especially for those flights when you go without the Litening II pod.

Spoiler

W10-x64 | Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra | Core i7 9700K @ 4.8Ghz | Noctua NH-D15

Corsair 32Gb 3200 | MSI RTX 3080ti Gaming X

Asus Xonar AE | TM Hotas Warthog

MFG Crosswind pedals | Valve Index

Some real world A-10s use binoculars. Is it possible to zoom in as if you're using Binoculars? I often find it difficult to spot ground targets.

Right ... post in on the wish list ... :thumbup:

No Need :)

They will signal you with flashing lights...you just have to be in range.

CPU: Intel I7 7700k /Ram:32gb_ddr4

GFX: Nvidia Asus 1080 8Gb

Mon: Asus vg2448qe 24"

Disk: SSD

Stick: TM Warthog #1400/Saitek pro pedals/TIR5/TM MFDs

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sorry to not be of much use but somewhere on this forum, I searched and couldn't find it, there is a post that explains how to edit the Zoom level so that it simulates binoculars.

I'm reading a book by an A-10 pilot who flew in the Gulf War and most of the pilots carried binoculars, so no, you're not cheating...

Ryzen 5800X, 32GB RAM, RTX 3060

I think when ED removed the FAC aspect from the Sim so went the Binocular View,:chair:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] SMOKE'M:smoke: IF YA GOT'M!:gun_rifle:

H2o Cooler I7 9700k GA 390x MB Win 10 pro

Evga RTX 2070 8Gig DD5

32 Gig Corsair Vengence, 2T SSD.

TM.Warthog:joystick: :punk:, CV-1:matrix:,3x23" monitors, Tm MFD's, Saitek pro rudders wrapped up in 2 sheets of plywood:megalol:

Sorry to not be of much use but somewhere on this forum, I searched and couldn't find it, there is a post that explains how to edit the Zoom level so that it simulates binoculars.

I'm reading a book by an A-10 pilot who flew in the Gulf War and most of the pilots carried binoculars, so no, you're not cheating...

Navigate to your DCS:A-10C/Config/View folder and open the view.LUA file with Notepad++.

Go down to line 126 to the following entry-

CameraViewAngleLimits[A_10A]   = {20.0, 140.0}

and edit the first value (20) to a lower value (lower the value the further the zoom). Save and exit and you're good to go.

I am not certain which value corresponds to the bino view the Hog-Drivers got with Bino's. Somehow 6 rings a vague bell, but I'm not sure - you'll need to experiment.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Thanks Viper,

That's the edit I meant.

I have mine set to 5.0 and that's pretty close to real life.

It does get really unstable at full zoom though.

Now we just need an anti-shake mod.

Ryzen 5800X, 32GB RAM, RTX 3060

It does get really unstable at full zoom though.

Now we just need an anti-shake mod.

No Bother :)

If you have TrackIr you can stabilize the view at zoom - helps a wee bit with the jitters.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

And how about the LOD? I mean, dont the vehicles all disappear after a few km, because you wouldnt see them normally anyway? So if you zoom in with the binocs, will they even be there?

------=:: I FLY BLEIFREI ::=------

Doesn't the max zoom in DCS pretty much represent the level of detail you would see with your real eyes? I mean, I usually fly with 60° field of view in the game, which is about what humans experience, but depending on how far I sit from my 21" monitor, I probably have a real field of view of around 10°, which means if I set the ingame FOV to 10° it would represent the level of detail, or zoom, I'd really experience. This would give me somewhere around the max zoom in DCS, but it would be too narrow to fly with normally...

My point is, even the max zoom in DCS isn't probable to simulate binoculars anytime soon, unless I change the values as stated. I'd really apreciate if ED modeled some kind of optical enhancement such as binoculars. Maybe like with night vision, only they enable zooming in more, maybe to 3° or similar.

Edited by LostOblivion

Nice plane on that gun...

OS764 P930@4 MBUD3R M6GB G5870 SSDX25 CAntec1200 HTMHW

CameraViewAngleLimits[A_10A] = {20.0, 140.0}

great find:pilotfly:

i can now SEE the enemy

(straight in the eyes :D, almost, at value 5)

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

Navigate to your DCS:A-10C/Config/View folder and open the view.LUA file with Notepad++.

Go down to line 126 to the following entry-

CameraViewAngleLimits[A_10A]   = {20.0, 140.0}

and edit the first value (20) to a lower value (lower the value the further the zoom). Save and exit and you're good to go.

I am not certain which value corresponds to the bino view the Hog-Drivers got with Bino's. Somehow 6 rings a vague bell, but I'm not sure - you'll need to experiment.

Yea. setting that value to 5 or 6 could be roughly considered like having a pair of 8-12X binoculars... really depends on how far away from the monitor you sit :)

Intelligent discourse can only begin with the honest admission of your own fallibility.

Member of the Virtual Tactical Air Group: http://vtacticalairgroup.com/

Lua scripts and mods:

MIssion Scripting Tools (Mist): http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=98616

Slmod version 7.0 for DCS: World: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=80979

Now includes remote server administration tools for kicking, banning, loading missions, etc.

Doesn't the max zoom in DCS pretty much represent the level of detail you would see with your real eyes?

Kinda.. it's in the neighborhood. By the criterion of resolution, you're pretty close to someone with very good vision. It all depends on how close you sit to your monitor, how good your RL vision is, etc.

Setting the max zoom level to 5 or 6 is a lot like binoculars based on a different criterion, true field of view. A pair of 10X binoculars is probably gonna give you between a 6 and 7 degree field of view- binoculars will typically have apparent fields of view of between like 60 and 70 degrees, so 60degrees/10X = 6 true degrees.

But there are so many variables, it's all a rough approximation... Anyway, if you base your max zoom level off of the resolution criterion rather the field of view criterion, you might have to increase your max zoom level even more than to just 5 or 6 degrees to simulate 10X binoculars. I could do the calculation real quick, but I gotta go...

Edited by Speed

Intelligent discourse can only begin with the honest admission of your own fallibility.

Lua scripts and mods:

Now includes remote server administration tools for kicking, banning, loading missions, etc.

So if you zoom in with the binocs, will they even be there?

They will indeed.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Our pilots fly with binoculars often. To me the zoom basically is the binocular of the sim.

Yes, but only if you decrease the min FOV to less than 20 degrees. Here's some calculations to demonstrate:

Say you sit rather close, 2' (feet), away from a monitor that spans 25" (inches) in the horizontal dimension. This is probably a bit larger monitor than most people have, and a little closer than most people sit. Anyway, the monitor will span 2*arctan(12.5/24) = 55 degrees. Say that your resolution across this monitor is 1900 pixels. So each pixel represents 3600*20/1900 = 38" (arc seconds), which is slightly smaller than someone with really excellent vision can probably see (though there are reports of some people resolving Venus near closest approach to earth as a crescent... and it is like 40" across then).

Someone with normal, 20/20 vision however, can only resolve things down to about 1.5' (arc minutes), or 90" (arc seconds). Sitting two feet away from a monitor that is 25" (inches) across at 1900 pixels, then that is 55 [degrees]*3600 [sec/degree]/1900 = 104" (arc seconds). So each pixel is roughly the same angular size as the smallest thing your eye can resolve. So theoretically:

IF:

1) You have a monitor that horizontally spans 25", and is 1900 pixels in this direction

2) You are sitting 2' away from this monitor

3) You have 20/20 vision

4) You zoom in till the horizontal 25" dimension of your monitor represents 20 degrees in the game world

THEN:

You will have slightly better or equal vision capabilities as a person with excellent vision would have sitting in the cockpit of the real A-10.

This however, discounts that the LOD drastically and suddenly scales back at a certain visual size, making things much harder to see. Because of this flaw, you should take what I say above with a grain of salt. A real pilot wouldn't have to worry about LOD and would furthermore, frequently be able to spot vehicles based on dust trails (which do not always appear when they should in DCS) or crushed foliation. However, of course, a real pilot would have to contend with more ground clutter than we do.

So the end result is, if you want binocular resolution, you need to increase your max zoom a lot more than the defaults allow.

Edited by Speed
  • Like 1

Lua scripts and mods:

• 3 months later...
  • ED Team

Thanks for this find, as a noob this helps me alot.

I have not been using headtracking so when I look around I was using the mouse and the middle mouse button to zoom in and out :)

But I recently acquired my first hotas ( saitek x45 nice and cheap on ebay ) and have started to use joyslider 2 on the throttle to zoom in and out, but the extra zoom dosn't seem to work with that function.

Am I doing something wrong or is it a completely separate from the mouse zoom, if so can I increase the zoom using my joyslider2 ?

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Didn't read all the posts - but if you are searching for a quick and easy way to simulate Binos with a "one click".

Than this is maybe your solution:

Zoom-In/Zoom-Out on... < Thread with detailed explanation "how to".

Putting it in on "Pac-1" is only one example.

Its Pretty easy to set up in SST when you have a saitek controller - It is also doable with "aoutohotkey".

• 1 month later...

Wow, this PAC1 - auto zoom looks really interesting!

Unfortunately I can not use SST and I have no idea how to set this up in auto hotkey... Could you maybe create a commented video for auto hotkey...? :-/

Thanks in advance!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

System specs:

2500k @ 4.6 GHz

8GB RAM

HD7950 OC'd

Win7 x64

Posting tracks to make your DCS better - attention bump incoming!

Why a video?

Download autohotkey and use this script-

Binos-pess and hold.AHK:

#NoEnv  ; Recommended for performance and compatibility with future AutoHotkey releases.
#Warn  ; Recommended for catching common errors.
SendMode Input  ; Recommended for new scripts due to its superior speed and reliability.
SetWorkingDir %A_ScriptDir%  ; Ensures a consistent starting directory.

4Joy17:: ; This is my Bino toggle Jostick button = Jostick ID #4 Button 17 -change this to your new "Bino" button. 
        ; Use joystick test from autohotkey help to locate your button

SetKeyDelay, 60, 60

Loop 11 ; "11" is how long it will zoom in - change this to your liking - do the same in line #15
{
sendevent {NumpadMult Down}
} 
sendevent {NumpadMult Up} ; zoom in

KeyWait 4Joy17   ; Wait for the user to release the joystick button.
                ; This is my Bino toggle Jostick button = Jostick ID #4 Button 17 -change this to your new "Bino" button. 

Loop 11 ; "11" is how long it will zoom out - change this to your liking - do the same in line #11
{
sendevent {NumpadDiv Down}
} 
sendevent {NumpadDiv Up} ; zoom out
return

Don't forget to edit it to your Button ID you want to use for "Binos"

>>> 4Joy17:: ; This is my Bino toggle Jostick button = Jostick ID #4 Button 17 -change this to your new "Bino" button.

Edited by PeterP