Beginnings of a pit

hog_driver111th

I decided to use an example from Dimebug with the garden hose connectors. Over here in Germany, the Aluminum Foil is wrapped around a pretty solid tube - kind of like the paper towel tube, but stronger. It's about 1 foot long, roughly. It was the right diameter to use as an extension, and with the PS2 extension all shoved inside of it (couldn't find a smaller one than 6ft) the shaft is very sturdy. It took only about an hour to make, with some cutting and proper fitting. The spring force of the cougar is very light now, although with the little bit of center play I have, I have to move the stick a few inches around 1.5" before I'm applying force. It's not too bad. I did a flight test with it, adjusted my curves for the extension, and did a few touch and goes plus AAR without an issue.

Next up, ordering the cardboard cockpit kit, then making part of the kitchen into my mancave! (don't tell my wife!)

The area above the stick in the second picture is my desk. (ignore all the wires) This is where it worked out perfect. Putting the case for my drill under the base - with my desk chair it was still a little low and this works perfect... I also didn't want to go any longer with the extension incase I get the warthog or build an ejection seat - I have about an inch to 2 inches above the top of the stick, so I can store it under the desk without a problem.

6152676315_3e8a3d6171_b.jpg

6153220528_6b78f63277_b.jpg

Edited by hog_driver111th

A-10C - FC3 - CA - L-39 - UH1 - P-51 - Hawk - BS2 - F-86 - Gazelle - F-5E - AV8B - F/A-18C

i5-4590 - GTX 1060 - Oculus CV1 - TM:Warthog

[sIGPIC]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic9979_1.gif[/sIGPIC]

Very nice, but what do you mean "in case I get a Warthog". If you started a pit, you are going to get one eventually!:D

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I did this mod and have stock springs. The left right axis broke a week later.

photo-3.jpg

I was able to fix it temporarily but now looking into a new stick like a ch fighterstick. I'll use that until I find an ubermod or some updated gimbals. Careful with that.

WIN10-64 HOME Ryzen9 3900x 4.0GHZ, 32GB DDR4, RX6800xt, 1TSSD  Reverb G2, F-14 Simpit (WIP)

Virpil Collective 60 head, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals, TM MFDs, 5 Leo Bodnar boards.

With any computer joystick extension it is best to be very conservative as far as how long the extension is.

It doesn't matter what brand joystick you want to consider, they all could have problems with broken gimbals when adding the extra leverage of an extension. The gimbals (or other designs) were never designed to handle the extra leverage and disaster could rear its ugly head during spirited use.

I don't say this to be-little what was done here, just wanted to make people aware of what could happen at the more extreme lengths of joystick extensions.

:pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win7 Pro 64 | Asus Rampage III Extreme |Swiftech H2O cooled: CPU, Video, N. Bridge | i7 980X EE @4.5GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @1726 MHZ | AMD R9 290X 4GB DDR5 +EK H2O block+Backplate | BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 @144Hz | Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500GB | 2 - Samsung HD 1TB | Pinoeer BD-RW | ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 PCIe Audio | CoolerMaster Haf-X case | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 760W PS | HOTAS Cougar w/Evenstrain Mod | HOTAS Warthog | TM RCS Rudders + Mods | TM MFD's w/monitors | TrackIR5

You're not belittling anyone. I just bought the warthog, so if something happens to the gimbals it's a cheap fix (cost $23) to get those parts for the cougar.

A-10C - FC3 - CA - L-39 - UH1 - P-51 - Hawk - BS2 - F-86 - Gazelle - F-5E - AV8B - F/A-18C

$23 where ? You need to remember the original gimbals are made from cheep alloy it will break over and over until you replace the gimbals with quality made ones. Even I.J the maker one replacement gimbals limits the lenth of a recomended extention on his modification to to damage it can cause

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/a-10c-warthog-supplies

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/133818-deadmans-cockpit-base-plans/#comment-133824

CNCs and Laser engravers are great but they can't do squat with out a precise set of plans.

DM, I'll have to get back to you on that. It's a cougar parts supplier I think through TM, but a friend of mine was ordering parts. He sent off my small list (both gimbals, center post, 2 pots) and it came out to around 20 something before shipping.

Btw, I'm assuming this extension would work fine for the Warthog since it only uses magnets and ball joint... Correct?

No it probably won't. I would keep the extension to 6" total. Any longer and you'll have problems with centering. Also you will not be able to get full throw either because of your legs. I tried an extension that long earlier as well, but have moved back to 6" tops.

As I'm getting the warthog this week, I will probably try to shorten my Extension. Might wait until the warthog arrives.

Edited by hog_driver111th

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Peter,

You are correct. I bought mine at Baumarkt by me. They fit perfectly, but you really have to screw down the stick "ring" a ways until it sits tight. Btw, where in Germany are you? It's possible that if the next sim is the f-16 I'll sell my extension for a few euros to basically pay for half what I paid for in parts. Since I got my Warthog, (plus work schedule) I haven't used my cougar.

• Like 1