DCS World + Windows 8: Worked fine

ARM505

Most won't worry, but just in case you do, I did an upgrade (if an OS change can be called that) to Win 8 from 7 (ie NOT a fresh install) and DCS World + all the addons ran with no problems. No reactivation needed. Track IR on the other hand.....

• Like 1

I'm sticking with W7, I see no need to change, nor have I heard of a good reason to. Thx for the heads up, I'm sure a lot of people were wondering about it.

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

Oooh, please tell about TrackIR

I was about to install Windows 8

http://forum.naturalpoint.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=50755&page=1

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

I have installed windows 8 on a new solid state hard drive and DCS seems to run better (smoother with less pauses) but this is most likely because of the faster hard drive, I had to use the work around to get the unsigned track IR driver installed but apart from that it works great on windows 8.

Mods I use: KA-50 JTAC - Better Fire and Smoke - Unchain Rudder from trim KA50 - Sim FFB for G940 - Beczl Rocket Pods Updated!

Processor: Intel Q6600 @ 3.00GHz

GPU: GeForce MSI RTX 2060 6GB

RAM: Crucial 8GB DDR2

HDD: 1TBGB Crucial SSD

Peripherals: Logitech G940 Hotas, TrackiR 5, Voice Activated commands , Sharkoon 5.1 headset. ,Touch Control for iPad, JoyToKey

Just a word of warning : (if anyone is still playing it)IL-2 COD will not run under Windows 8. AFAIk there is no workaround and the devs over there are aware of it but it's a very low priority. All other sims I own seemed to work ok but I couldn't stand Windows 8 so I reformatted again.

Best to do a dual boot if you are going to upgrade.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

System Specs

Intel I7-3930K, Asrock EXTREME9, EVGA TITAN, Mushkin Chronos SSD, 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z series 2133, TM Warthog and MFD's, Saitek Proflight Combat pedals, TrackIR 5 + TrackClip PRO, Windows 7 x64, 3-Asus VS2248H-P monitors, Thermaltake Level 10 GT, Obutto cockpit

Is this an accurate assessment of Windows 8?

This review makes it seem quite awful.

Intelligent discourse can only begin with the honest admission of your own fallibility.

Member of the Virtual Tactical Air Group: http://vtacticalairgroup.com/

Lua scripts and mods:

MIssion Scripting Tools (Mist): http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=98616

Slmod version 7.0 for DCS: World: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=80979

Now includes remote server administration tools for kicking, banning, loading missions, etc.

Frankly, there is zero reason for a sim player to change to Win 8, the only reason I did was because I get it free. All the nuts and bolts that we like to tweak are still in the usual places, except they've made things harder (IMHO) to get to with the newer UI. I could see no real improvement, nor were there any slowdowns though in terms of performance in sims, although one game I play (Company of Heroes) was a but more stuttery when panning around larger maps. Bear in mind I didn't benchmark anything, that's just subjective impressions. On another pc, the Heaven benchmark improved by one (1) point, ie nothing! Both pc's are relatively ok, (Core i7, GTX 580 on main pc, SSD OS drive) but not brand new. Win 8 boots faster, but that is spoiled by going straight to the 'metro' desktop, which is mostly a waste of time.

To sum up: I wouldn't murder myself if I had to get a new pc with Win8 pre-installed, but there is absolutely no reason to change at the moment. Win 7 is definitely the new XP IMHO, it should do well for a quite a while I reckon.

Edited by ARM505

Just a word of warning : (if anyone is still playing it)IL-2 COD will not run under Windows 8. AFAIk there is no workaround and the devs over there are aware of it but it's a very low priority. All other sims I own seemed to work ok but I couldn't stand Windows 8 so I reformatted again.

Best to do a dual boot if you are going to upgrade.

Hey come on, IL2 - COD, dosnt even run right on windows 7, no chance of having it run on windows 8 ;)

Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

Windows 8, I think I'll W8 ;P

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

System Specs

Intel I7-3930K, Asrock EXTREME9, EVGA TITAN, Mushkin Chronos SSD, 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z series 2133, TM Warthog and MFD's, Saitek Proflight Combat pedals, TrackIR 5 + TrackClip PRO, Windows 7 x64, 3-Asus VS2248H-P monitors, Thermaltake Level 10 GT, Obutto cockpit

after the FLIGHT fiasco, waiting almost 3 years for the next commercial sim, and bumping into this arcade nonsense, microsoft is no go... win8, it's win 7 64 bit, home premium..

The King..

for me..

/

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

I installed W8 CP, all the stuffs and... Tried with TrackIR, without success.

I rolled back to W7-64bits and will stick onto for a while.

I didn't appreciated W8 ergonomy. Some pro but many cons.

But that's subjective, not objective at all. The major issue for me is that trackIR isn't supported yet...

DCS Wish: Turbulences affecting surrounding aircraft...

[sIGPIC] [/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P - Intel Core i5 6600K - 16Gb RAM DDR4-2133 - Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 Gaming - 8 Go - 2 x SSD Crucial MX300 - 750 Go RAID0 - Screens: HP OMEN 32'' 2560x1440 + Oculus Rift CV1 - Win 10 - 64bits - TM WARTHOG #889 - Saitek Pro Rudder.

@Cedaway: Disable Driver signature Thing and TrackIR Drivers installs fine.

Intel Core i7 2600K @ 3.40GHz OC 4.9 GHz

8,00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 686MHz (9-9-9-24)

ASUS SABERTOOTH P67 (LGA1155)

GeForce GTX 780

Creative Sound Blaster Z

Logitech Proteus Core Mouse

Logitech G19S

Logitech G940 (heavily modded)

Thrustmaster MFCD-Bevels

1 x Samsung T27B300

2 x ASUS VW224

I found that using "Classic Shell" to get the look and feel more palatable for me in Windows 8 has made all the difference. I boot straight to the desktop and have the start menu of my choice. (I have also become much more comfortable and familiar with the Metro screen and charms bar in a very short time. Both of which I disliked at first).

Install from USB stick was fast and painless.

Hardware drivers for all installed fine and without issue including.

Intel Rapid storage drivers

X-fi Xtreme Gamer PAX drivers.

AMD Catalyst for 6970.

All gaming hardware working fine

(Installs fine after disable driver signature enforcement for install)....

TrackIR 5

HOTAS Cougar

HOTAS Cougar MFD's

G-15 Keyboard

G700 Gaming mouse.

Ivibe TFS3 Force feedback seat.

Gaming Software utilities working fine:

TeamSpeak 3

VAC 3.11

Installing and testing Flight sims shortly.

Although I will keep Windows 7 on my main SSD raid array for now, things are looking much better with Windows 8 then my previous experiences with earlier builds. If flight sims run better or smoother under Windows 8 it will not be long before it is my primary OS.

Out

Edited by PoleCat

This was actually the most painless OS upgrade I've ever done. I actually set up to reload a whole bunch of 9mmP during the install, and I didn't even get as far as priming 100 rounds! TrackiR works after disabling forced driver signing, HOTAS works fine and all software worked fine first go. Can't actually complain I suppose.

@Cedaway: Disable Driver signature Thing and TrackIR Drivers installs fine.

I know this 'hack' but it id not a 'normal' function and potentially dangerous.

I found a lot more simple to roll back to W7.

Thank you anyway:thumbup:

DCS Wish: Turbulences affecting surrounding aircraft...

[sIGPIC] [/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P - Intel Core i5 6600K - 16Gb RAM DDR4-2133 - Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 Gaming - 8 Go - 2 x SSD Crucial MX300 - 750 Go RAID0 - Screens: HP OMEN 32'' 2560x1440 + Oculus Rift CV1 - Win 10 - 64bits - TM WARTHOG #889 - Saitek Pro Rudder.

Disabling the enforcement is only in effect until the next reboot. You disable the enforcement, install trackir, reboot back into the normal environment, and you're back to drinking whiskey while flying in no time.

Not as dangerous as you might think. The disabling of driver signing is temporary. It's only required for the amount of time it takes for you to install the unsigned drivers. After a reboot, it defaults to turning itself back on. No harm, no foul.

Indeed many beta drivers are released unsigned in the name of efficiency and that's fine by me.

EDIT: *Willy beat me to it* What Willy said... ;)