Issues with IRST in Su-27

kk0425

Havent watched the track but it maybe the following problems:

in bore mode you can only lock target in the circle by pressing lock

in vertical mode it requries you to have lock pressed until a target locks up and it has to be pretty close max 10-15km. Make sure that on the left you have I and T displayed. Thats radar and EOS on.

in hmd mode the target can be 20km away but the EOS must be able to see it. You can turn radar on but i would only do this if you are in vvr any ways. Place reticule on target and press lock.

hope it helps.

I flew your track twice; shot down bandit both times- 1st with radar lock 2nd with IRST lock. I think things behave as they should:

If you active radar (I) and set PRF to Hi you will pick up the target immediately at a range of less than 60km, and you can lock and launch in the normal fashion. In IRST (T) you need to bring up a thermal missile (either the shorter range 73 or the longer range 27ET). The problem you are having is that the target is High Aspect and IRST is a thermal sensor. The target nozzles are pointed away from you and the fuselage obscures the heat. ( a Thermal , ie IR, attack is probably not the best option here.) I was able to pick up the target and lock on, but only at a much closer range.

Hope that helps.

Edited by xylem

Thermaltake View 71 Snow, Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master, i9-9900K Coffee Lake,8core,16 Thread,3.6 GHz, Corsair Vengeance Pro 64 GB, NZXT Kraken X72 AIO CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra Hybrid, Win 10

I think this was changed in FC3 because I don't remember it working that way in FC2?

--Maulkin

Windows 10 64-bit - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X @ 3.7 GHz - 32 GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM - EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 - Asus Crosshair VIII Hero motherboard - Samsung EVO Pro 1 TB SSD - TrackIR 4 Pro - Thrustmaster Warthog - Saitek rudder pedals - Lilliput UM-80/C with TM Cougars

I think this was changed in FC3 because I don't remember it working that way in FC2?

It was indeed changed for the Vertical scan, and perhaps for the boresight (don't know, I never use it), which used to auto-lock. There was never an auto-lock for the Helmet mounted sight (which should probably be your main mode for close-in combat).