Autonomous CAP and GCI AI fighter script

SNAFU

First. While this script is awesome I just want to say that the directions document is even awesome-er! Which ever of you guys wrote it, :thumbup: By far the best how to I have seen for setting up a script. I am pretty much functionally retarded when it comes to these things and I got it up and running with ease. Most of the other script's readme files tend to be written for someone who already has knowledge of more than the basics, which sure as heck isn't me. :) Could you guys go through and re-write all the other scripts how-to's out there? *joke* :)

Second. Do you all think there is a way to get the fighters to stay in their "boundaries" even after engaging during the "cold war" setup? ie, fight but not chase the intruding plane if it flees back across the border? Just curious.

Thanks a lot for putting this together. It is just great!

Sage

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Carrier Strike Group One | Discord

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First. While this script is awesome I just want to say that the directions document is even awesome-er! Which ever of you guys wrote it, :thumbup: By far the best how to I have seen for setting up a script. I am pretty much functionally retarded when it comes to these things and I got it up and running with ease. Most of the other script's readme files tend to be written for someone who already has knowledge of more than the basics, which sure as heck isn't me. :) Could you guys go through and re-write all the other scripts how-to's out there? *joke* :)

Second. Do you all think there is a way to get the fighters to stay in their "boundaries" even after engaging during the "cold war" setup? ie, fight but not chase the intruding plane if it flees back across the border? Just curious.

Thanks a lot for putting this together. It is just great!

Sage

It is possible... i dont know the sdript, but with ME you can do a search and attack in zone. So they will only engage in the area. They will come back to their business after no enemies in the area.

@SageOT - stopping the pursuit when borders are on was on my to-do list prior to lukrop's arrival. I would suggest you PM him or go to his github site and leave an enhancement task request as I haven't seen a post from him here for at least a couple of months so he may well have moved on or just r/l is making him scarce. You are more likely to get some response that way I think as he stated previously his intention to mainly use the github site to monitor for bugs etc and not this forum thread.

Cheers,

Stonehouse

@SageOT - stopping the pursuit when borders are on was on my to-do list prior to lukrop's arrival. I would suggest you PM him or go to his github site and leave an enhancement task request as I haven't seen a post from him here for at least a couple of months so he may well have moved on or just r/l is making him scarce. You are more likely to get some response that way I think as he stated previously his intention to mainly use the github site to monitor for bugs etc and not this forum thread.

Cheers,

Stonehouse

Will do. Thanks again for your work. Really enjoying this particular script.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Carrier Strike Group One | Discord

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Im starting to learn how to work the CAPGCI script. I read carefully the tutorial inside the downloaded zip file. I started checking how it works by running the sample miz file inside...but it doesnt work...I pointed the DO SCRIPT FILE triggers on the MIST and CAPGCI files to the folder where i have unzipped un my MISSIONs folder...what Im doing wrong?

thanks in advance for any answer.

Hi TBear,

Not sure if you are using Lukrop's version as you don't say. If you are then really he'd be the best person to offer you support as it's his script now. That said I don't think he comes onto the forums much these days so I suggest you post up the mission file so we can try to help.

Cheers,

Stonehouse

Hi Stonehouse,

Thanks for answer and for support offer. I did some tests and i discovered i had the wrong MIST version. I had to use EXACTLY the one suggested in the PDF tutorial..plus when i made my own mission i realized late that in __CAP__blue.... string U MUST use DOUBLE underscore !!! ;-)

Now i solved and finally i have F-5s covering blue area and MIG 21s covering red one :-)

Ok that's good news. I would have hoped just using the latest Mist version would work. You might try again since you fixed the underscore thing - if there is some sort of issue not using the latest version then you should report the bug to Lukrop's github site as going forward it will cause problems having to use an old version.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all, I've been using Lukrop's version of this script for some time now, and was wondering if any of you folks know of a way to make the number of cap flights and potential intercept flights random within a range. Thx in advance.

Bull

i9 9900k - GTX 2080 Ti - MSI Z87 GD65 Mobo - 64GB HyperX Predator RGB DDR4 3200MHz - Win10 64 bit - TM Warthog w FSSB R3 mod - TrackIr 5.

guess you could edit the script so that the lines like

gcicap.red.cap.groups_count = 3

gcicap.red.gci.groups_count = 2

become

gcicap.red.cap.groups_count = mist.random(some number)

gcicap.red.gci.groups_count = mist.random(some number)

repeat for the blue cap and gci counts. The above assumes a random number between 1 and the number entered. You could also do something like mist.random(2,5) if you wanted a minimum of 2 groups.

I am assuming you don't wish to change this mid mission but simply want to be surprised each time you run a mission you've built. Changing it mid mission might cause hiccups (they are global variables I believe so theoretically you could use a M-E trigger to alter the counts).

Edited by Stonehouse

• 2 weeks later...

Quick Question...Can I use this script with 2.0?

Sierra

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

Sure.....

My Rig: Windows 11 Pro, Intel i7-13700k@5.4GHz, 64GB DDR5 5200 RAM, Gigabyte Z790 AORUS Elite AX, 1TB Samsung EVO 970, RTX4080, Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG + Saitek Pro Flight Pedals, LG 32" 4K 60FPS, ACER 30" 4K 60FPS GSync Display, HP Reverb G2 V2

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I followed thr directions and set this up on the Nevada map. I too missed the double underscore for the pilot names but got it fixed and got ythe script working...Kinda

Here's the issue. I am using GCICAP version 15 Sept 2015 (GCICAP20150914.lua) and the latest version of mist. I have not modified the CAP lua in any way. When I start the mission as a single player, the Cap flights all spawn on the runway. Not in "parking" as selected in the .lua. If I start the same mission in multiplayer, the CAP aircraft spawn on the taxiway near spot 130 and never move.

Changing the "parking" line has no effect. I.E. the aircraft spawn in the same locations as before. (Yes I reloaded the script each time I changed it)

Other than THAT this script is going to be a really nice addition to the Nevada map.

Any suggestions on how to proceed to rectifying this problem?

Sierra

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

Maybe you can provide the miz itself. Than we can take a deeper look?

Gesendet von meinem K00E mit Tapatalk

My Rig: Windows 11 Pro, Intel i7-13700k@5.4GHz, 64GB DDR5 5200 RAM, Gigabyte Z790 AORUS Elite AX, 1TB Samsung EVO 970, RTX4080, Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG + Saitek Pro Flight Pedals, LG 32" 4K 60FPS, ACER 30" 4K 60FPS GSync Display, HP Reverb G2 V2

Maybe you can provide the miz itself. Than we can take a deeper look?

Gesendet von meinem K00E mit Tapatalk

Yeaaaa...I was thinking that after I posted the original message. ( think I was expecting it to be a known issue...)

I'll put a copy of the .miz and .lua I am using after I get off work tonight.

(The other option would be build it on a Blank Nevada map and see If the problem carries over.)

Sierra

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

That is a DCS thing not the script. In single player AI set to start on the ramp always start on the runway instead. Presumably in MP different code ensures that when a player and AI spawn they don't occupy the same ramp position but in SP it gets around this by simply starting all the AI on the runway. Suggested test, create a simple mission without the script or mist and see what happens.

All my aircraft start on ramp in SP and MP without issue - other than sometimes SU-27s like to run their wingtips across the nose of another flight on the ramp when taxiing causing mass ejections - ultimately resulting in a traffic jam due not all the wreckage despawning :)

Nutshell: Working for me as well as it should regarding ramp spawns in MP. No player/client A/C were at that airfield though.

Ok it's been a long while since I used or tested GCI CAP and things may have changed but from what I recall whenever I was testing code changes in SP I would see exactly the same thing as Sierra99 and then it would act as I said when the same mission was used in MP. If you look back through the thread you will see others have asked the same question. The conclusion at the time was that it was a DCS feature to pretty much avoid AI spawning onto players aircraft. lol maybe my memory has a few leaks too. If I get time I will see if I can try it out but it isn't really my script to work on or support anymore

I plan to play with it this weekend and try different configurations to see what works and what doesn't. How would I verify its a bug with DCS not a bug in the script? (I know Nevada has flightline issues and this may be a moot point until 2.5 comes out. )

I did try moving the AI spawn base to Creech and BOTH aircraft were spawning in the same spot...superimposed over each other soooo...

Sierra

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Oh, guys - you know what... I'm not using Nevada. I think that is where we are seeing differences. Sierra99, can you test it in Georgia?

I can and will try this in 1.5 tomorrow. Here are the .miz and LUA files I am using. I'm pretty sure this is gonna be traced to issues with AI taxing on airfields on the Nevada map. However, I did see an interesting occurrence last night.

I tried moving the Nellis Trigger Zone down the taxiway to an intersection in case it was an object glitch that was causing the problem. When the CAP aircraft spawned, The spawned exactly where the trigger zone "X" was...pointed in 4 directions nose to tail in a box. Not sure if this is relevant and didnt think to get a screen shot but it was pretty funny.

Until tomorrow, here are the files I'm using for you to ponder.

Thanks for the help. I'm sure we'll get this figured out.

Sierra

BTW, I see there is a new version of MIST available...I'll try it when I get home...

TAC_NTTR_V.2A_WORKING.miz

mist_4_0_57.lua

TAC_NTTR_V.2A_GCI_ SCRIPT.lua

Edited by Sierra99

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Sierra asked me to take a look because it might have been a Nevada issue. Did a bunch of tests and Nevada ramp spawns with dynamic units are fine. Did some digging and found the culprit of where aircraft get set to take off from runway.

if startairborne == 0 --start on the runway
       then
           RNW_type = "TakeOff"
           RNW_action = "From Runway"
           CAPspawnalt = land.getHeight{x = actualCAPairfield.point.x, y = actualCAPairfield.point.z} --consider terrain
       end

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum