What Are People Doing With CA

CrackerJack

[shameless Plug]

You can try my ground warfare focused mission where you get to be a BMP2!

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=116463

[/shameless Plug] :D

• Like 1

Specs: GA-Z87X-UD3H, i7-4770k, 16GB, RTX2060, SB AE-5, 750watt Corsair PSU, X52, Track IR4, Win10x64.

Sim Settings: Textures: ? | Scenes: ? |Water: ? | Visibility Range: ? | Heat Blur: ? | Shadows: ? | Res: 1680x1050 | Aspect: 16:10 | Monitors: 1 Screen | MSAA: ? | Tree Visibility: ? | Vsync: On | Mirrors: ? | Civ Traffic: High | Res Of Cockpit Disp: 512 | Clutter: ? | Fullscreen: On

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wanted to drive into the city but the trip down the mountain took a "turn for the worse" and I tipped it over. :-/

Just press the 'C' key and it should flip right back.

WC

Visit the Hollo Pointe DCS World server -- an open server with a variety of COOP & H2H missions including Combined Arms. All released missions are available for free download, modification and public hosting, from my Wrecking Crew Projects site.

More often than not, I act as a JTAC at one of my training ranges. It allows more flexibility in how A-10C guys want to train. If they want you to throw a laser spot on a target, an IR light, smoke...maybe they want you to give them coordinates in Lat/Long instead of MGRS. It breaks up the monotony of the AI JTAC, and it also allows multiple passes at once. And you can play JTAC for other aircraft just as easily.

I've also done the artillery support role as well. One time (at band camp), there was an SA-15 in a town that nobody could get close enough to take out, so I launched a salvo of MLRS rockets on it, leveled the block, and the mission progressed from there.

And it's extremely satisfying to be able to land a sabot round on a T-72 at 5000m when you're both moving in different directions.

5000m? Little unrealistic lol, esp on the move.

[shameless Plug]

You can try my ground warfare focused mission where you get to be a BMP2!

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=116463

[/shameless Plug] :D

I just played your mission and it was good fun. I would definitely like more missions like it. First person oriented ground missions are a nice diversion from the super high fidelity aircraft of DCS. Very enjoyable as long as you can overlook the AI and ground detail (and that second problem is mostly going away with EDGE). Honestly, the vehicle damage model isn't any worse than games like Battlefield, the weapons modeling is even more realistic, and the variety of vehicles and nations to pick from is great.
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...
  • ED Team
5000m? Little unrealistic lol, esp on the move.

That's why it's satisfying. :D I didn't say it was on the first shot, or something you can do all the time. But when you do happen to land a long-range shot like that, it's fun.

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

I like to drive tanks onto the taxi-way and taunt the A-10s

Man I could really use a navigator right about now.

i7-3770K @ Stock

MSI GD-65 Z77 Mobo

G.Skill Ripjaws Z [16GB] @ 2133 Mhz

AMD Radeon HD 7950 [sapphire Tech] @ 1150/1600 Mhz

OCZ Vector 256GB [C:/]

Seagate Barracuda LP 2TB @ 5900RPM [D:/]

Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB @ 7200 [E:/]

Western Digital Blue 1TB @ 7200 [H:/]

Corsair AX850 PSU

Corsair 650D Case [so Sexy <3]

My opinion is that people thought that CA was going to have arma2\3 realism, being able to turn out\in and do cold start ups like the a10C. You would be able to swing the turret 90 degrees, jump out, open the back end of the M1A1 and have your mate bring in the crane while you both swapped the AGT1500C all while in multiplayer, UH-1's bought you supplies and welder and other items required to carry out the change in the field. After this, you would be able to walk over to the ammo stock pile, interact with the rounds and carry them back to your tank and load them in the storage bay. Firing rounds was done by entering co-ords into the on board computer as well as adjusting fire for effect in the paladin.

Seriously though, I bought it after watching youtube video's and it works fine in it's current state for what I want out of it. Be realistic, if you are not happy with the product, don't buy\use it. Find something else to waste your time and money on. Personally I love it, I find it fits in with rest of the products available for the game. You knew the type of product you were committing yourself to buying before you forked out the dosh....you only have yourself to blame if you are not completely satisfied.

As for what I am doing with it? Missions that don't utilize air support

CA basically does what is advertised, but it also is kinda broken (or rather unfinished) in certain areas - which produced very amusing screenshots.

As long as sniping helos with 155mm artillery works I´m all good with it.

Winfield, you probably described the plans (or rather dreams) that ED might have for this. Tank modules with proper damage model, cargo transport do not sound so far fetched anymore. The infantry part is a little too far off, but given time... Who knows?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Deedle, deedle!

It feels more like an experiment that was monetised rather than a fully fledged release.

I disagree, though it depends on what you use it for.

CA required A LOT of code changes behind the scenes to get it working as well as it is, and it's still requiring changes to the engine here and there. It's not like ED just threw it together in an evening and released it. It's been a lot of work.

While the tank sim aspect of CA can be fun (or even silly fun, as I previously posted) CA is most powerful NOT when you play it as like, a tank platoon commander, but when you play it as a combined arms ground commander, interfacing with aircraft, providing a simulation of intelligently-controlled ground forces, friendly or enemy. You're playing a combined arms battlefield simulation then. I've had a tremendous amount of fun in multiplayer being the guy on the ground, calling in airstrikes, handling artillery fire missions, moving forces and reacting to threats, capturing objectives, etc.

While it takes a lot of skilled multiplayer pilots and a good ground commander to really make CA shine, when you get them all together, it's AWESOME, and worth many times what CA costs. While you can do this to a limited degree in single player, it's just not as good as in multiplayer- but that applies to everything in DCS, I guess.

Unfortunately, most people who get CA just use it to drive around and shoot stuff, taking direct control of just a single unit. While that's fun (and I do it myself sometimes), if you're never playing as a commander on a combined arms battlefield, you're missing the whole point of Combined Arms.

• Like 2

Intelligent discourse can only begin with the honest admission of your own fallibility.

Member of the Virtual Tactical Air Group: http://vtacticalairgroup.com/

Lua scripts and mods:

MIssion Scripting Tools (Mist): http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=98616

Slmod version 7.0 for DCS: World: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=80979

Now includes remote server administration tools for kicking, banning, loading missions, etc.

I was lucky enough to play this together with a group of people where the more complex aspects came into play and you are right - this is the true strength of CA: intelligently controlled ground units and JTAC. Unfortunately the whole thing was massively hindered by the well known network problems so that in the end I gave up on serious MP completely...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Deedle, deedle!

CA required A LOT of code changes behind the scenes to get it working as well as it is, and it's still requiring changes to the engine here and there. It's not like ED just threw it together in an evening and released it. It's been a lot of work.

While the tank sim aspect of CA can be fun (or even silly fun, as I previously posted) CA is most powerful NOT when you play it as like, a tank platoon commander, but when you play it as a combined arms ground commander, interfacing with aircraft, providing a simulation of intelligently-controlled ground forces, friendly or enemy. You're playing a combined arms battlefield simulation then. I've had a tremendous amount of fun in multiplayer being the guy on the ground, calling in airstrikes, handling artillery fire missions, moving forces and reacting to threats, capturing objectives, etc.

While it takes a lot of skilled multiplayer pilots and a good ground commander to really make CA shine, when you get them all together, it's AWESOME, and worth many times what CA costs. While you can do this to a limited degree in single player, it's just not as good as in multiplayer- but that applies to everything in DCS, I guess.

Unfortunately, most people who get CA just use it to drive around and shoot stuff, taking direct control of just a single unit. While that's fun (and I do it myself sometimes), if you're never playing as a commander on a combined arms battlefield, you're missing the whole point of Combined Arms.

Pluss 1 Speed...very to the point and well said!... I kinda quit playing CA due to all the brokeness..as it is...but the CA is a hoot and has great potential.

16th mojeaux out;

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have more than ample respect for Speed and his feedback but my experience with CA as a server host and mission builder has been quite a bit different. The only thing that is driving CA right now (to me and my intentions as a mission buildier) is the potential... and I know it'll get there.

I don't even bother occupying a ground slot and doing battle... why would ANYONE?! AI can see you from greater distance, through trees and at nearly impossible aspects. I think everyone who has spent more than 10 minutes on CA understand that the benefit is to "command" AI to go do things and shoot each other to pieces. Unrestricted by bridges and other terrain anomalies (like buildings), the AI actually do a pretty good job hammering each other to bits.

I read some of the positive feedback in here and figured I'd give it another chance and hosted a few missions that highlight ground commander role and all I got was negative feedback from the ground commanders.

Go to cross a bridge- an acknowledged bug as I said before... not to rag on it- 1 AI unit gets across (the lead) and the rest get hopelessly logjammed. Distribute waypoints in such a fashion as to get each unit unstuck... the unit that made it across comes back. Actually drives over the water (through the large river near Zugdidi) and pulls an incredible jesus maneuver straight into being stuck with everyone else. GC now needs to go in and manually unstick every single vehicle.

Wow- sounds like a real awesome, realistic experience.

And windfield-gold... I read your post and I sort of get your intention but to dismiss our complaints about reported issues just because you've had a good experience is like me writing you off as a fan boy because you don't agree with me. Great- you've enjoyed it.. leave it at that instead of dismissing our commentary as whining fodder just for the sake of bleeding negativity on everyone since there isn't already enough of that to go around.

CA has such a ridiculous amount of potential it makes these issues even more noticeable. ED is working on these things and will prevail- I get it... I know.

But what am I doing with CA right NOW- which, if you'll remember was the subject of the thread? Well... JTAC.

"ENO"

Type in anger and you will make the greatest post you will ever regret.

"Sweetest's" Military Aviation Art