Hall Effect Sensors

It works differently than a resistor so why would anyone want to use it as a variable resistor?

It is used for measurements that resistor type "sensors" (potentiomenters) can be used for as well. Somebody could be led to think that a hall sensor is a resistor sensitive to magnetic flux and slap it into a circuit that was meant for a potentiometer, effectively creating a short circuit.

Isn't it that the sensor is fed e.g. 5V and it's going to output e.g. 5V +/-2V depending on the direction of rotation?

It's not going to put out 5V. Also you don't feed a hall sensor with voltage, you feed it with current. And the voltage is *not* proportional to the speed of rotation, it is proportional to the magnitude of the magnetic field. If you think about voltages that are proportional to the derivative of magnetic field, you are thinking of the Maxwell-Faraday equation. Such a sensor would be of the integrative type, therefore having a drift that accumulates over time. The Hall Effect however is based solely on the Lorentz Force, therefore it works with a steady magnetic field as well.

The current through the sensor experiences a lorentz force when subjected to a magnetic field, thereby warping the current density field inside the sensor, which in turn results in a potential between the measurement outputs that are located orthogonal to the current (and the magnetic field). If the current is kept steady, the voltage across the output will be proportional to the magnitude of the magnetic flux through the sensor.

Edited by sobek

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

@sobek

The first one is completely clear to me. The second part... #%2 I need to catch up on electromagnetism. Thank you for your comprehensive answer.

But. When I did my hall effect mod I did fed it to a line of specific voltage (5V) by simply putting it in place of the original potentiometer. I'm talking about the venerable A1302 here. Then I used a multimeter set to voltage to check its operation. It clearly produced a variation in voltage. Its specs also mention voltage all over the place.

But. When I did my hall effect mod I did fed it to a line of specific voltage (5V) by simply putting it in place of the original potentiometer. I'm talking about the venerable A1302 here.

It is entirely possible that the sensor contains an integrated circuit transforming the supply voltage into a steady current.

However, as the hall voltage (the output voltage) is defined as (I * B) / c (where c is a constant that depends on the geometry and material parameters of the hall sensor), linearity of the sensor can only be assured if the current through it is kept constant within a very small margin.

Then I used a multimeter set to voltage to check its operation. It clearly produced a variation in voltage. Its specs also mention voltage all over the place.

Yes the output is a voltage, but the magnitude of the voltage is proportional to the magnetic field (not its derivative), therefore the direction of turning has no influence on the voltage, as the sensor (indirectly) measures the angle, not angular velocity.

I believe we are getting a bit OT here and maybe should discuss this somewhere else, if desired.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

• 3 weeks later...

Hall Sensors Midori

It is October 9, 2015

I am convinced the Hall Sensors sold by Cubpilot and used with the Uber2Nxt are Midori QP-2HC single shaft. SOmeone stated on a thread and I will locate and reference herein.... that Pewatron out of Switzerland sells the HAll sensor... they do and on their spec sheet for the QP-2HC the manufacturer is listed as, "Midori"

Check out Vlerkies, Mustang51 and Fakum's posts

Roland

Hmmmmm,,,,, very interesting,,, good research, thanks for the update.

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

This HALL Sensor have some specifications better than this QP-2HC and cost 15$ (Digikey)... :music_whistling:

http://www.bitechnologies.com/pdfs/6120.pdf

They don't fit on the Nxt gimbal, bronze bushing instead of double ball bearing, not sealed (unless request) luck to find some with the correct electrical angle travel (if not you must order a big amount)...

They don't look better to me, they are simply on a different class

Edited by Stefem

Lange-666 Could you ask him if the sensors must be position or angle and if the Midori Precisions are the correct Hall Sensor...

Greatly appreciated. Midori responded to my inquire and will respond in full within 3 days... I will post reply.

back when the Uber2Nxt was made the two Hall sensors were $100.00... not cheap.... Man I paid over $495.00 for the Uber2nxt... but it is a work of art:<)

Roland

They work the same way, they are just suited for slightly differ purpose, eg. if you want to measure angulation you need only a range from 0° up to 360° while if you have to know position you may want several rotation or a totally different type from a rotary encoder.

The correct Hall sensor are the angular Midori QP-2HC (C means single shafted).

Edited by Stefem
  • Like 1

• 5 years later...

Im back in the market again for a Hall Sensor for the Thrustmaster Cougar UBER 2. I forgot all about this thread. Does anyone know of any cheaper options other than the (~$100) Midori QP-2H/QP-2HC Hall 'angle' Sensors?

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

Im back in the market again for a Hall Sensor for the Thrustmaster Cougar UBER 2. I forgot all about this thread. Does anyone know of any cheaper options other than the (~$100) Midori QP-2H/QP-2HC Hall 'angle' Sensors?

Check the input /output súbforum, then the magnetic sensors thread, I just ordered today one for my cougar throttle.

However I dint know if they are compatible with your Uber mod

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

Are you talking about this thread? https://forums.eagle.ru/forum/english/dcs-world-topics/input-and-output/thrustmaster-aa/221969-tm-cougar-sealed-magnetoresistive-hall-sensor-kits

Because i cant find a thread labeled "magnetic sensors"?

If that is the thread, no, those wont work for me.