Advanced Formation Training and A/A Refueling

AFAlinebacker42

Thanks for the good showing this past weekend. The Formation Fundamentals class was a success despite a technical hiccup wit the twitch.tv recording and some lag issues.

Tentatively March 23 we will be holding a more advanced formation class, and the session will involve air to air refueling in the A-10C. We will be doing some group work as we did today, and will then break out into areas and send smaller teams to different parts of the map to accomplish different tasks. Navigation skills will be minimum, and system skills will be minimum.

My goal is to provide a work-up to some of the basic airmanship that will be needed for basic combat related training classes later this spring. Please sign up here as in the previous session.

Also, please provide feedback on date and time. We will try to be flexible to maximize involvement. :pilotfly::pilotfly::pilotfly:

V/R,

linebacker

I was at that party at the last moments and it was Fargin Awasome. Sign me up for the next one, this is on my calandar. I hope to be fueling by then. Axis Tuning seems to be the key here, but not too much. AFAlinebacker42, that was quality time...thanks dude.. I'm still reading chapter 9, and I'm working on my brevity codes...hooaha!!!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

MoBo: SaberTooth P67 B3 CPU: i7 2600K OC'd 4.434 Cooling: H100, Nine Asorted Fans GPU: EVGA Drvr344.75 GTX 780 and 580 w/physX MEM: Patriot Viper Xtrm 16GB Power: Antec HGC-900 HRD: Samsung SSD 256GB, WD 2TB wPageFile OS: Win7pro 64b Display: AcerHN274H-nVidia3D 27", Qty2 BenQ GW2750HM 27", Asus VS208 24", Qty2 Lilliput U80/c Input: G13, G110, G700s, TM WortHog, Saitek Cmbt Rudder, TM MFCDs, TrackIR5 Sound: Z906, G930w/IR5/Pwr. Pack Chair: See Album

Silly me...March 23 is good for me. Like to day, 1400 EST was good also.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

MoBo: SaberTooth P67 B3 CPU: i7 2600K OC'd 4.434 Cooling: H100, Nine Asorted Fans GPU: EVGA Drvr344.75 GTX 780 and 580 w/physX MEM: Patriot Viper Xtrm 16GB Power: Antec HGC-900 HRD: Samsung SSD 256GB, WD 2TB wPageFile OS: Win7pro 64b Display: AcerHN274H-nVidia3D 27", Qty2 BenQ GW2750HM 27", Asus VS208 24", Qty2 Lilliput U80/c Input: G13, G110, G700s, TM WortHog, Saitek Cmbt Rudder, TM MFCDs, TrackIR5 Sound: Z906, G930w/IR5/Pwr. Pack Chair: See Album

AFAlinebacker42, I am definately in for that session :thumbup: March 23 same time is good for me.

Small suggestion for next session. Is it possible to have the group and own ID defined by you before take off? English is not my native languish (in case nobody noticed :lol:) and once in a while I miss some important into like that.

Anyway as Spokejockey said. I will go back to the books on chapter nine and continue reading.

Cheers

Hans

Sunday, again. Awesome. Absolutely! Please sign me up for March 23, any time. 1900Z is fine for me: it was 1400 local for me.

Refueling. I will practice offline to make sure I don't take out the tanker.

The Hornet is best at killing things on the ground. Now, if we could just get a GAU-8 in the nose next to the AN/APG-65, a titanium tub around the pilot, and a couple of J-58 engines in the tail...

I'll be there if that's ok. A10C stared.

PC: ASUS - Maximus V Formula Mainboard; Intel i5-3570K 16Gb G.Skill Sniper 1600Mhz; Sapphire Vapor X HD 7970 GHz Edition 3 Go ; Samsung SSD 840 PRO 256 Go

Flight Sim Gear: TM Warthog; Saitek Pedals; TrackIR 5 w/ trackclip pro; Logitech G35 headset

PineFang, If I may be so bold, this is copied from AFALinebacker from the flight maneuvers thread. I need to learn how to put a link to another thread rather than the copy and paste to this one.

"AFI11-248 for USAF Primary T-6 training is found here. Chapter 9 (pg. 15cool.gif covers fundamental two-ship formation. There are other goodies in USAF AFI's that can be learned here, and I highly recommend training to these standards when able."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...

Roster:

1. spokejockey hooah

2. HMA

3. funkster

4. =Mac=

5. Mick F

6. Bix

7. ctannell

8. Oznerol256

9. Pinefang

10. sidjjjjjjjjjjjjjj

Still more slots open...

Pinefang, we use real documents here, none of that "I want your Ukraine" russian crap.

I had to throw something political in there, since they put it in big red letters and told me not to... :)

Mac acknowledges he is on the roster. Will be practicing bumping into the tanker this weekend. :book:

For my political discussion, I vote yes. (Sorry, I can't get more controversial than that: I'm not politically qualified. :argue:)

The Hornet is best at killing things on the ground. Now, if we could just get a GAU-8 in the nose next to the AN/APG-65, a titanium tub around the pilot, and a couple of J-58 engines in the tail...

but that doesn't mean there is no room to improve.

I would like to join but I'm not sure if I can make it.

1. It's my sisters birthday

2. Time zone constraints

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X | Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro | RAM: 64GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill TridentZ | GPU: Palit RTX3080 Ti 12GB | SSDs: 2xSabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 | Samsung Pro 256GB | Samsung EVO 850 500GB | Samsung QVO 1TB 

Peripherals: Warthog HOTAS | TrackIR 5 | MFG Crosswinds | 3xTM Cougar MFDs | HP Reverb G2

1. It's my sisters birthday

2. Time zone constraints

(1) Bring your sister along. Let her fly.

(2) Sleeping? Who needs sleep at a time like this???

Well, I'll try to be there. Starting before 22:00GMT would be ideal. 23:00GMT would be ok I guess but any later than that and I probably won't be able to make it.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X | Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro | RAM: 64GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill TridentZ | GPU: Palit RTX3080 Ti 12GB | SSDs: 2xSabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 | Samsung Pro 256GB | Samsung EVO 850 500GB | Samsung QVO 1TB 

Peripherals: Warthog HOTAS | TrackIR 5 | MFG Crosswinds | 3xTM Cougar MFDs | HP Reverb G2

I fixed my axis curves to fit all around. AAR is great, 8min from fumes to Full with 8 reconnects. I'm still working on it and my Wingman-men-ship also way better.

I'm under the impression this is about the formations used to get us all on the nozzle, not so much how to "get-er-done". I am only in the last few weeks able to refuel, and I think I can help noobs get on the t_t for a few seconds, after that its practice, practice, practice.

1st Get a mission where the tanker is straight ahead and will never frigin orbit (practice that later). His path should be some 300nM long, in the Ocean where the mountain don't distract you. Make him go about 274knots speed, that's like 143knots in the HUD. (airspeed vs ground speed??? why is this?)

2nd park your self almost empty and loaded "Hollywood"(That's U.S. Army Airborne for no ruck, no weapons). I can send you my miz if you'd like.

3rd use DCS axis cures that are useless for any other flying. I started with something Ludacris like +24 for Y saturation on both pitch and yaw. my throttles were curved close to 70 or so. again useless for any thing else you'll need to be behind the Tanker ready to go. (I have less catastrophic settings on my TMHog now)

4th like the chicken showing the possum that it can be done. Prove to your self with these settings that it can done, then dial the numbers back or build your own curve.

5th take note of the fuel flow when your steady behind, I noticed about 14x100pph was my 143knots with Tanker at 8999ft going 274(in ME). I noticed 14.5 for like one second was just enough to inch me forward, and 13.5 to scoot back. That was all it took. not even a full tick mark.

6th his/her inside engines are just above my G-meter, and I don't focus on that nor the VVI, what I mean by that is watch them both at the same time. I don't know how to explain it,. Freeze the TrackIR, sit back enough that you can see just some of the tail above the cowl. I have a default zoom and position that is more useful than what is given us. this required fussing with num5, nument, num0, Alt+num0, (this is the default position and is a whole nother discussion). you might look in to the snap view pic I have in my album it will help show how to change the view.

7th practice, practice, and we know Stress is over coming the bodies basic desire to choke the living S__t out of some A__ hole who desperately needs it. "!!!!!Don't shoot Em down!!!!!". (ok, it does help to shoot him down, I can't lie) it will cost you all your points and bill you for 200.

I'd hope others could add to this or school me on it, its what helped me. If you use my MIZ these numbers are what you'll see. otherwise take note of what you see on yours.

Edited by spokejocky

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This is the Miz file I started with, I got this from =C.O.U.G.A.R=

I added to his briefing some notes, and the corrected channel to get to the tanker.

AAR Basic .miz

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ping Linebacker

Linebacker:

Please contact me

randall.macdonald@rogers.com

I have made a short video of last month's flight. I need a list of credits.

:director: