Question about flattering when going from forward flight to a hover

Hello, i bought the Hip when it was released, but didn't get into it until recently after i saw this video:

Iam therefore fairly new to helo sims, altough i played some BS.

Anyways, in my trials i had a lot of flattering in certain flight states. Upon investigation i learned about the Vortex Ring State, how to recognize it and how to recover from the more severe cases.

However, i still have a little flattering when transitioning from forward flight to a hover. As i understand it this happens because i lose the lift from forward movement and need to apply more collective, but even if i increase collective at that point i get some flattering.

Do i have to increase collective so much that i will actually climb a bit?

Is my VVI a simple air-pressure only one with the info lagging a little behind real time, meaning that i have to anticipate the loss of lift and apply more collective earlier?

Is there another possible cause for it, or is it maybe normal?

Another question, is there somewhere a english manual for the Hover and Low speed indicator?

Is my VVI a simple air-pressure only one with the info lagging a little behind real time, meaning that i have to anticipate the loss of lift and apply more collective earlier?

Yes.

Do you perhaps mean fluttering? If yes, then this is normal. It is caused by part of the rotor disc still being in calm air from forward movement, the other part being in the turbulent air caused by the rotor. Once you come to a hover, this should stop as the whole disc transitions into the turbulent air.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

It took over 15 hours flying just to prevent the dreaded VRS, it took a whole lot more to be able to land where I want without losing my tail. It is very rewarding once you mastered it:)

The Mi-8 docs folder includes the Mi-17 english flight manual.

WTF it is no longer contained in the documents? Can we have it back please Belsimtek :thumbup:

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I noticed that the Mi-17 manual was removed as well. Why?

--Maulkin

Windows 10 64-bit - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X @ 3.7 GHz - 32 GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM - EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 - Asus Crosshair VIII Hero motherboard - Samsung EVO Pro 1 TB SSD - TrackIR 4 Pro - Thrustmaster Warthog - Saitek rudder pedals - Lilliput UM-80/C with TM Cougars

Also, here is the DCS version of that video above :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bopq52ncaBk

--Maulkin

Windows 10 64-bit - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X @ 3.7 GHz - 32 GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM - EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 - Asus Crosshair VIII Hero motherboard - Samsung EVO Pro 1 TB SSD - TrackIR 4 Pro - Thrustmaster Warthog - Saitek rudder pedals - Lilliput UM-80/C with TM Cougars

The pilot seems in control, however he also seems very irresponsible. The plain on the ground basically tries to get away from the scene before accidents happen. He wobbles allot and risks a bunch of tail crashes. I hope for the pilot the flight authority doesn't pick up this video. He will loose his licence.

Thanks guys, i have some 5 hours in her and feel fairly confident, my autorotations also work thanks to that tough SOB of a tailskid. :smilewink:

Am i the only one who prefers to fly her without trimming her at all unless on longer-range transit?

As for the DCS vid, what the heck? How? I'am baffled...

The pilot seems in control, however he also seems very irresponsible. The plain on the ground basically tries to get away from the scene before accidents happen. He wobbles allot and risks a bunch of tail crashes. I hope for the pilot the flight authority doesn't pick up this video. He will loose his licence.

In Soviet Russia, you punish Flight Authorities...

No seriously, he´s a chopper pilot, chopper pilots are just cooler, especially russian one´s.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have one more question for you guys, regarding VRS during transition to a hover.

Initially i tried to counter VRS by gently increasing collective at the right time, which i understand is the way it is supposed to be done.

But i recently involuntarily pitched back with cyclic, instead of increasing collective, and the result was a much smoother transition then i ever achieved before without practising for some 30 minutes. Granted, the pitch attitude changes rather significantly but i stayed steady at my altitude and my tailskid came nowhere near the dirt. I also came to a halt over my intended landing spot much faster without looking too awkward.

The question is, is this the way people do it, or is it just me?

Do you use collective only at that moment, or is there a little bit of cyclic pitch-back movement for that purpose as well?

I have one more question for you guys, regarding VRS during transition to a hover.

Initially i tried to counter VRS by gently increasing collective at the right time, which i understand is the way it is supposed to be done.

But i recently involuntarily pitched back with cyclic, instead of increasing collective, and the result was a much smoother transition then i ever achieved before without practising for some 30 minutes. Granted, the pitch attitude changes rather significantly but i stayed steady at my altitude and my tailskid came nowhere near the dirt. I also came to a halt over my intended landing spot much faster without looking too awkward.

Do you use collective only at that moment, or is there a little bit of cyclic pitch-back movement for that purpose as well?

Interesting point.....I'll try this later and see what happens :thumbup:

I'm struggling with VRS on the Mi8 too.....Huey I don't have any issues with it.......but boy is the Mi8 a different beast. Very twitchy for such a big helo.

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

I use a combination of both pitch and collective.

As I slow using the cyclic I reduce the collective and using incremental movements on both find that this gives me a smooth transition until in ground effect gives me the cushion to hover and slowly set down.

But practice is the key and because everyone has different hardware and settings you need to find what works best for you:)

Dont forget to disengage Altitude and heading channels before starting your descent

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

dafuq?!

NO!