Landing on objects...

davetronic

This isn't so much a bug as a missing feature (or something I'm missing). I've noticed that when landing on an object above ground level, like a ship's helipad for example, there isn't any ground effect at all. Because of this, landing on a ship pretty much always results in just dropping onto the deck like a rock at the last second no matter how gently I bring the helicopter down.

The other thing I've noticed (also on ships) is that when you're landing on a moving carrier and the speed at which you're travelling to match the carrier's speed just happens to be in that shaky translational lift stage, even once you've touched down and taken off the power, the helicopter still shakes violently as if it's in the air at this speed.

Is anyone else getting this?

There used to be no ground effect on (at least some) aircraft carriers, but that has been fixed months ago. Buildings also have very noticeable ground effect on their tops. Maybe it's just one specific carrier with that problem?

I can confirm building roofs having a ground effect - in fact I just landed a Huey on a warehouse yesterday and it was definitely there. But no idea of ships since I haven't done that stuff in ages...

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

The other thing I've noticed (also on ships) is that when you're landing on a moving carrier and the speed at which you're travelling to match the carrier's speed just happens to be in that shaky translational lift stage, even once you've touched down and taken off the power, the helicopter still shakes violently as if it's in the air at this speed.

Is anyone else getting this?

That's quite normal. If the ship moves there will be a relative wind the helicopter moves through. It can get pretty shaky. In high winds the blades can flap a lot with a risk of striking the tail boom during start and shutdown.

Check this: