The roll of my Huey is too unstable...

Skulleader

Hello,

I need your assistance because I possess the TM Warthog with my Huey but I found the "Roll" too unstable.

It's very dificult for me to have a stable flight, of course in flight I don't touch of the colective...

During my flight my Huey roll right or left and it's very difficult to have one stable flight.

Please can you give me (if it's possible) your setup for the roll and pitch with the TM Warthog ?

A great thanks in advance for all, Skull.

What exactly do you mean with "too unstable"? Are you losing altitude during turns? And/Or speed? And/Or is your banking angle changing constantly?

(...) of course in flight I don't touch of the colective...

This might be the problem. Afaik you need to adjust all (!!) controls during a turn in order to do a perfect coordinated turn. Especially you will need to raise the collective to compensate for the loss of lift when banked (and anti-torque to not slip or slide and cyclic to maintain banking angle and rate of turn or air speed).

ahm... when you are in "cruise-mode" (80kts level flight) and making a turn you dont need the collective Flagrum... A Helo in Cruiseflight is like an airplane... for normal Heading and Altitude changes you are using the stick. Collective is set to Max Cont. Power normaly

maybe its because you are doing too much. Have you trimmed the helo good enough? I have a X52 with a longer stick (about 30cm) and have the sensivity on 5 on nick and roll...

greetings

ahm... when you are in "cruise-mode" (80kts level flight) and making a turn you dont need the collective Flagrum... A Helo in Cruiseflight is like an airplane... for normal Heading and Altitude changes you are using the stick. Collective is set to Max Cont. Power normaly

maybe its because you are doing too much. Have you trimmed the helo good enough? I have a X52 with a longer stick (about 30cm) and have the sensivity on 5 on nick and roll...

greetings

Well, I am still learning, too, so quite possible that I am wrong. But then I wonder ... why?

Obviously it depends on the banking angle if, or how much, altitude you lose. The total available rotor power to keep the helo at altitude in straight flight is divided into a horizontal and a vertical component when you bank. So, how does the help keep the altitude if suddenly less vertical lift is available?

Edited by Flagrum

Hello guys,

In fact when I'm in flight cruise my copter pitching in roll and it's very unstable but there's few minutes I've tested 70% of saturation for X and Y for my stick and now my copter is very more stable in roll.

For the pitch and the yaw everything is OK but with these 70% it seems better now.

Do you think that is the solution to my problem ?

If you have any explainations or feedbacks it would be cool.

Hello guys,

In fact when I'm in cruiseflight my copter pitching in roll and it's very unstable but there's few minutes I've tested 70% of saturation for X and Y for my stick and now my copter is very more stable in roll.

Well, I am still learning, too, so quite possible that I am wrong. But then I wonder ... why?

Obviously it depends on the banking angle if, or how much, altitude you lose. The total available rotor power to keep the helo at altitude in straight flight is divided into a horizontal and a vertical component when you bank. So, how does the help keep the altitude if suddenly less vertical lift is available?

You pull a little bit... like in an Airplane ;)

The Rotor-Disk is nothing other than a Wing. (we are talking about normal cruise speed with max cont. Power.)

Skull

If you are comfortable with that, and its better ,why not? :)

I have noticed that too. But in my case it was because i havent well trimmed and i have steered too much :)

There are 3 factors(movement/drag/weight)in play during a turn.

Helicopter pitch changes during left and right rolls are the result of “pitch-roll coupling”. It’s a matter of how the rotor system flaps in response to lateral cyclic.

In a left roll, blade pitch is reduced over the nose and increased over the tail. This unbalances the lift forces and causes the rotors to flap down on the left side and up on the right. The result is a shift of the trust vector causing the fuselage to follow, rolling left and pitching down (as the blades flap down over the nose). After the aircraft reaches a steady rate of turn, the fore and aft lift forces balance.

In a right roll, blade pitch is increased over the nose and reduced over the tail. This unbalances the lift forces and causes the rotors to flap up on the left side and down on the right. The result is a shift of the trust vector causing the fuselage to follow, rolling right and pitching up (as the blades flap up over the nose). After the aircraft reaches a steady rate of turn, the fore and aft lift forces balance.

Because of the static stability designed into the aircraft these effects are not normally noticed. The addition of a horizontal stabilizer is also part of most designs to improve the longitudinal stability (pitch stability). The pilot automatically corrects these small out-of-trim conditions.

Also note that blade coning and asymmetrical induced velocity distribution across the rotor disc results in less induced drag over the nose and more induced drag over the tail in forward flight. These asymmetrical induced velocities over the nose and tail causes a transient torque effect were left rolls require more torque than level flight and a right roll requires less torque than level flight.

Collective inputs in forward flight also induce some blade flapping that causes the nose to pitch up or down. The advancing and retreating blades receive the same degree in pitch angle change. However, the advancing blade has higher velocities and develops more lift (dominating blade) than the retreating blade.

An up collective input causes the advancing blade to start flapping up from its trim position at three o’clock resulting in maximum pitch-up over the nose. The reverse input, down collective will cause the advancing blade to start flapping down from its trim position at three o’clock resulting in maximum pitch-down over the nose.

Again, because of the static stability designed into the aircraft these effects are not normally noticed. The addition of a horizontal stabilizer also improves the longitudinal stability (pitch stability) by countering these effects. Unless rapid changes in collective are made, the pilot automatically corrects these small out-of-trim conditions without even thinking about it.

Lift is proportional to the Angle of Attack times Velocity squared (V2).

L ≈ a x V2

If the blade rotational speed is 300kts and the helicopters forward airspeed is 100kts, the relative airflow across the advancing blade is 400kts and only 200kts across the retreating blade.

I too have noticed that the Huey feels unstable in roll, as if it's wanting to constantly rock back and forth. Partly I think this is because I come from airplanes which have much higher roll inertias, so they're not as touchy, and I'm not used to it. For what it's worth, I'd believe the way the Huey behaves is realistic. There's not a whole lot of mass far from the CG in the roll axis.

I figure it just means I need more time to get used to it. :)

The current flight model is top notch in realism

Small inputs (cyclic, pedals) with proper power(collective) management is the key to this bird.

At first it seems uncontrollable but after plenty of trial and error you will be able to put her anywhere you want with precision.

I suggest getting use to flying at 60-65kts and gradually increasing cruise speed since handling will change as you increase in speed. Also get used to setting trim conditions frequently.

After 120 hours I am still learning daily.

Hi Skulleader,

This may be worth checking because it helped me to improve the handling of my Cougar HOTAS.

Since the Warthog is not a Force Feedback stick, make sure you have the FFB option in The Gameplay tab unchecked.

I found out I had that option checked all the time, making my Cougar stick/throttle and CH Pro Pedals (connected to the Cougar) behave in a total different way than when the FFB option was unchecked. My control axis became very sensitive, resulting in a more unstabe flight.

Maybe this is what is going on with you HOTAS Warthog.

Just a thought.

Razorback

Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)  | AMD Ryzen 9 5900X @ 4,5Ghz | 128Gb DDR4 3200Mhz | beQuiet! Dark Power 12 1200W | 2 x 2Tb M.2 Samsung SSD | 2 x 4 Tb M.2 Samsung SSD |  Aorus RTX3090 Xtreme 24Gb | Windows 10 Pro x64 | HOTAS Cougar (heavily modified) | MFG Crosswind pedals | CH Throttle Quadrant | TrackIR5 | Oculus Quest 2 | VoiceAttack

Aviate Navigate Communicate