Hover and Route Flight Autopilot

Jimbolya

Couple quick questions:

1. Hover Mode: I slow down in to get into hover mode and it seems as if no matter how slow I'm going once hover is engaged the aircraft still drifts. Let me clarify the drift. The drift is still in the direction I was heading before engaging hover, and not back to the original hover position. Why is that?

2. Route Following Mode: I engaged RF autopilot on waypoint 3. The nose never turns to way point 3 but seems to fly cock-eyed to the waypoint. I was under the impression that RF autopilot turns to the intended point (target, FARP, waypoint, etc). Why is it flying cock-eyed?

3. Speed Displayed in HUD: Seems my speed never gets initially displayed in HUD or sometimes disappears. I'm sure it's a setting to always keep it in there. What is that setting or is that normal?

1) Trimming issue maybe? Do you do a good trim for hover?

2) Autopilot "Heading Channel" should be ON and "Flight Director" should be OFF.

i7-2600 @3.4GHz | Corsair 16GB @1600MHz. | MSI GTX1660Ti Gaming X | Samsung 256GB SSD (Win10HPx64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

1) and 2) do you have the bank, pitch and heading channels engaged and flight director disengaged? I noticed hover hold will drift in altitude sometimes, even with the altitude channel on, but it doesn't drift horizontally at all.

3) IIRC, to get speed indication on the HUD you need to have the INS aligned and working. That's because the HUD displays ground speed, not IAS. Also, I think it's not displayed if the Shkval is on (or if a weapon is selected?). I guess it's a Russian thing to keep the HUD decluttered - on one hand you need to reset the targeting computer to get "flying" data back, on the other - all the text and numbers aren't as tiny as they are on American HUDs.

Edited by lmp

1. Hover Mode: I slow down in to get into hover mode and it seems as if no matter how slow I'm going once hover is engaged the aircraft still drifts. Let me clarify the drift. The drift is still in the direction I was heading before engaging hover, and not back to the original hover position. Why is that?

Hover mode is like parking brake, and it is not magic button which does the parking. Slow down, trim for hover, then engage hover mode. Hover mode will remove small deviations, but it won't win over the large ones caused by out of trim attitude.

2. Route Following Mode: I engaged RF autopilot on waypoint 3. The nose never turns to way point 3 but seems to fly cock-eyed to the waypoint. I was under the impression that RF autopilot turns to the intended point (target, FARP, waypoint, etc). Why is it flying cock-eyed?

Route is a bunch of lines between waypoints. Route following involves flying over those lines. If you deviate from the route, AP will try to get on the line instead of just flying to the next waypoint. Check autopilot panel, there is a switch, which changes this behavior.

3. Speed Displayed in HUD: Seems my speed never gets initially displayed in HUD or sometimes disappears. I'm sure it's a setting to always keep it in there. What is that setting or is that normal?

No speed in HUD means: a) you have just taken off and nav system is still not ready b) your rotor RPM dropped too much and you lost power required for nav system

Wir sehen uns in Walhalla.

I noticed hover hold will drift in altitude sometimes, even with the altitude channel on, but it doesn't drift horizontally at all.

Release of trim button updates longitudinal and latitudinal position intended for hovering, but it won't update altitude. Altitude is updated on release of collective brake.

1) Trimming issue maybe? Do you do a good trim for hover?

2) Autopilot "Heading Channel" should be ON and "Flight Director" should be OFF.

I believe I do, but I could be wrong - maybe I'm outside the hover params but don't know it.

Don't fly with FD on at this point. I don't understand how it works.

Hover mode is like parking brake, and it is not magic button which does the parking. Slow down, trim for hover, then engage hover mode. Hover mode will remove small deviations, but it won't win over the large ones caused by out of trim attitude.

Ok - so it's probably the point at which i engage the hover then - i must not be steady enough.

Route is a bunch of lines between waypoints. Route following involves flying over those lines. If you deviate from the route, AP will try to get on the line instead of just flying to the next waypoint. Check autopilot panel, there is a switch, which changes this behavior.

Right but shouldn't the nose point in that direction as opposed to a slide sideways?

No speed in HUD means: a) you have just taken off and nav system is still not ready b) your rotor RPM dropped too much and you lost power required for nav system

How long does this take?

Ok - so it's probably the point at which i engage the hover then - i must not be steady enough.

If you engage hover mode, you will see small square inside circle on the HUD. That little square means position over which you told AP to hover. If that square moves, you are not hovering. There is a technique which heps with nailing aircraft down. Just try your best stopping and trimming aircraft for hover, and once you engage hover mode, repeatedly press trim button until aircaft stops moving. After every press of trim, that little square will move less and less.

Right but shouldn't the nose point in that direction as opposed to a slide sideways?

If you are flying with crosswind, it will push you off the track, and if you want to stay on the track, you will have to fly at angle, or other words crab/slide a bit. AP is no different.

How long does this take?

Minute or few.

Edited by ZaltysZ

Ok - so then i'm doing a few things right. I guess I was assuming that the aircraft and avionics would act differently. with regards to letting INS get ready to go it takes me a few minutes just to prep for take off. Does the airspeed in HUD show up right after takeoff if INS is ready to go, or does air speed in HUD show up before take off?

Ok - so then i'm doing a few things right. I guess I was assuming that the aircraft and avionics would act differently. with regards to letting INS get ready to go it takes me a few minutes just to prep for take off. Does the airspeed in HUD show up right after takeoff if INS is ready to go, or does air speed in HUD show up before take off?

As far as I remember, it should show after take off.

Ok - seems intermittent at best. But I'll keep working with it. I don't have trackIR so seeing speed in HUD is pretty important. I'll also remember to constantly reset after locking up the Shval.

Once you take off, speed should appear in HUD and be there the whole flight. If you take off and there is no speed in HUD, it will appear there once nav system is ready. If it disappears in the middle of flight, something is wrong: battle damage or pilot error (i.e. too much collective -> low rotor RPM -> not enough electrical power generated -> nav system off/reset; or engaged hover mode at very low altitude -> AP auto disengage -> nav system reset). Reseting Shkval does not affect this.

P.S. this is about HUD in nav mode.

Edited by ZaltysZ

Once you take off, speed should appear in HUD and be there the whole flight. If you take off and there is no speed in HUD, it will appear there once nav system is ready. If it disappears in the middle of flight, something is wrong: battle damage or pilot error (i.e. too much collective -> low rotor RPM -> not enough electrical power generated -> nav system off/reset; or engaged hover mode at very low altitude -> AP auto disengage -> nav system reset). Reseting Shkval does not affect this.

Ok - will keep working with this because it eventually shows up and then goes away - maybe it is me engaging hover too low...but i'm engaging around 30 meters off the ground RDR alt.

If it disappears in the middle of flight, something is wrong (...) Reseting Shkval does not affect this.

To elaborate on this, speed reading will disappear when you're in combat mode and it will be normal behavior. Reseting the weapons computer and turning the gun off if you had it on will bring you back to nav mode (I don't think there's any in flight scenario where that won't happen?). This doesn't go against what ZaltysZ said, but I think it wasn't stressed enough.

There is a switch on the right of your autopilots blue buttons witch set the attitude of your noze in route mode.

DT = Direct track, your Ka-50 will follow the programmed road to your WP3, so it will go to WP3 via WP1 and WP2.

DH = Direct Heading, the noze of your KA-50 wil point directly to WP3.

you have to check it.

There is a switch on the right of your autopilots blue buttons witch set the attitude of your noze in route mode.

DT = Direct track, your Ka-50 will follow the programmed road to your WP3, so it will go to WP3 via WP1 and WP2.

DH = Direct Heading, the noze of your KA-50 wil point directly to WP3.

you have to check it.

Ok - I know i haven't used that. I'm guessing that's part of the problem lol. :joystick:

To elaborate on this, speed reading will disappear when you're in combat mode and it will be normal behavior. Reseting the weapons computer and turning the gun off if you had it on will bring you back to nav mode (I don't think there's any in flight scenario where that won't happen?). This doesn't go against what ZaltysZ said, but I think it wasn't stressed enough.

And to be more precise, there can be 2 indications of speed on the HUD.

Digital readout at left top corner is ground speed. It will be shown if NAV system is ready and HUD is in NAV mode (no weapon active/Shkval is off). One should remember that ground speed is used for navigation and not for flying (you can't decide if you are within permitted flight envelope by using ground speed), so it makes sense if that readout is removed while in weapons mode.

The second readout is a speed tape on the left side of the HUD. It shows IAS and appears once speed reaches 50 km/h. This readout is present even in weapon mode.

And to be more precise, there can be 2 indications of speed on the HUD.

Digital readout at left top corner is ground speed. It will be shown if NAV system is ready and HUD is in NAV mode (no weapon active/Shkval is off). One should remember that ground speed is used for navigation and not for flying (you can't decide if you are within permitted flight envelope by using ground speed), so it makes sense if that readout is removed while in weapons mode.

The second readout is a speed tape on the left side of the HUD. It shows IAS and appears once speed reaches 50 km/h. This readout is present even in weapon mode.

I did notice that the upper left speed does eventually come on. I might be getting too quick at the cold start lol -