What Happened To The Study Sims ?

GAJ52

No it is certainly not, what hardcore flight sims have you flown, sir?

My list would include Janes F18, FalconBMS, VRS TP Rhino, FSX PMDG aircraft such as the 744 and 777, LDS 763. Those are study sims.

Considering there is a pretty solid definition of what an arcade flight game entails, you just can't group the FC series with them. The list of features and mechanics about FC vastly separates it from arcade, as opposed to the minute bit thats missing that would deem it "hardcore".

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This might be the most beaten to death topic I have ever seen! 84 %&% posts! I doubt anyone is really impressed with what label you put on whatever computer game you think you mastered. Christ!

Dude this topic started getting flogged when LOMAC was released. Where ya been?

Just killing time until we see DCS Hornet C.

Edited by Mower

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

My list includes most of those. You don't know what you're talking about; you should add an actual arcade 'flight game' to your repertoire so that you have a clue. FC is so far from arcade it's funny.

No it is certainly not, what hardcore flight sims have you flown, sir?

My list would include Janes F18, FalconBMS, VRS TP Rhino, FSX PMDG aircraft such as the 744 and 777, LDS 763. Those are study sims.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Pfff.... the Hornet is so far away that it'll be arcade when it's finally released :harhar:

i7-2600k@4GHz, 8GB, R9 280X 3GB, SSD, HOTAS WH, Pro Flight Combat Pedals, TIR5

Yes I guess I had a life... :D

DCS AJS37 HACKERMAN

There will always be bugs. If everything is a priority nothing is.

Considering there is a pretty solid definition of what an arcade flight game entails, you just can't group the FC series with them. The list of features and mechanics about FC vastly separates it from arcade, as opposed to the minute bit thats missing that would deem it "hardcore".

Agreed, FC3 is clearly a survey sim.

I was debating relativity but probably made an error in linking it to arcade "games" like Hawx for example.

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

I always regarded ED as the PMDG of the Combat Sim world in their expertise in producing quality simulations, but this seems to have degraded into mass market arcade type simulations such as Flamming Cliffs addons.

I greatly prefer study sims over more simplified ones. However,

The premise that ED moved from study sims to lower fi sims like FC3 is wrong.

Black Shark is considered the first real study sim released by ED.

Flaming cliffs 3 is the last iteration of the Lock On series.

Black shark released in 2008.

Lock on: modern air combat released in 2003.

Even predating lomac you have the first flanker from 1995. If memory serves me right, its fidelity could best be described as FC+. It has been nearly 20 years since I played it though, so I could be wrong on that one ;)

EDIT: The point being; Don't worry about it, ED have clearly stated their intention to bring more study sims to the table. Combined with recent 3rd party efforts, the future is brighter than ever imo

Edited by mjeh

FC is so far from arcade it's funny.

Not fair: how do I ardently disagree with a mod...? ;-)

(But no, it is not, IMHO, I have flown Fc2/Fc3 extensively)

Edited by Mower

You can disagree with me all you want, lost of people do :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

That is crap! Nobody ever disagrees with you!

(Jeez)

:megalol:

I'm gonna Hit the brakes and he'll fly right by...

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

• ED Team

Guess it depends on what your baseline is for arcade... I think of arcade like BF4, or World of Warplanes.... in that case, FC3 is well beyond those in details and system modelling.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

You can disagree with me all you want, lost of people do :)

(1) I have been conditioned (beaten) by the prone-to-violence-cop-wife not to question "authority".

(2) According to the aforementioned PTVCW, I have nothing of value to say and intelligent people disregard me anyhow.

Right, carry on.

PS, yes, I am an obnoxious loud-mouthed Alpha Hotel.

Well I will take one that can admit he is one over the guy that cant :)

Good to know, but I never said that I was working on correcting it. :D

Even predating lomac you have the first flanker from 1995. If memory serves me right, its fidelity could best be described as FC+.

Uber hardcore for its day, sir.

I remember flying it fondly, the first flight sim to be made for W95 IIRC as well. Great manual, still a good read.

• Like 1

change is a lot of work ;)

So is digging through the ground's perma frost this time of year...the PTVCW assuring me last week that was the only reason I was still above ground. :D

So is digging through the ground's perma frost this time of year...the PTVCW assuring me last week that was the only reason I was still above ground. :D

At least you have a clear understanding of where you stand. ;)

EDIT: ...and why you still do!

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

you all should really see this sim from a 55 inch 120Hrz TV, it is like real photo realistic..:pilotfly:

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

Are the last 3 pages of this thread some sort of elaborate, late April Fool's day prank ?

Mower conceding that FC3 is a 'survey' sim not an arcade game, then showing more grace than I would as everyone continues to bag him for something he's already taken back ?

Cheers.

Yes it is, too bad it aint no tactical combat sim, and may never be even with FSX@War...

http://fsxwar.net/

Do you have TacPack?

Some guys mod it.

See VCVW-8, VCVW-3, VCVW-2, and FSXCarrierOps.com

I am not impressed with FSX@War

-+-

Some guys to DCS MP go to great lengths to make interesting war maps

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]