X52 Joystick a good choice?

i have the x52 pro its ok NOT the best at all but it does have some problems with sensors and other stuff but its a medium cost HOTAS.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Mods:Diveplane's unofficial soundpack

Specs:

JOYSTICK: Saitek X52 pro

RUDDER: Saitek Pro Flight Rudder

HEAD TRACK: TackIR 5

CPU: AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core 4.7GHz

GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970

Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M

RAM: Corsair Dominator 16GB 1866 DDR3

SSD: OCZ RevoDrive3 240GB PCIe

MOBO: Asus M5A99X EVO R2.0

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB Hard Drive

PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000W 80+ Bronze

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit OS

If you want a good all round HOTAS the X52 is completely fine and is certainly the best in its price range.

If you're a starter as you say, it's a good choice. I've owned an X52 and an X52 Pro, and they both served me well with no problems.

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

I have the X-52 pro, it's a pretty good stick. I play A-10C, P-51. and FC3, and it can take on all of those with relative ease, it has so many hats/buttons that you could cram everything in it. Although it's a really good stick, there are a few shortcomings with it:

-In DCS I've found the screen on the throttle is pretty much useless. I know there are some functions for FSX, and I'm sure people have programmed some things for it, but it's really not needed in my opinion.

-Anything that isn't a button/hat doesn't function great. This is a problem I think a lot of people have, the sliders on the throttle give off jittery, inaccurate inputs, so don't plan on using for much. This also applies to the small thumb stick that emulates the mouse, it breaks pretty early in the sticks' life, I had to set the deadzones for it to max within a few months of use.

I think they recently released the X-55 which looks like it might have addressed these problems, but I haven't used it. Overall, the X-52 is really great, even though the negatives seem bad, the rest of the stick works great, it's lasted me a few years now and still going strong.

If you want a good all round HOTAS the X52 is completely fine and is certainly the best in its price range.

If you're a starter as you say, it's a good choice. I've owned an X52 and an X52 Pro, and they both served me well with no problems.

I just got a second hand TM cougar for £100. Spent £15 on a new gimbal and a couple of switch guides Inc shipping. They should arrive today and I can't wait to tinker. if you're serious about simming and dont mind a bit of fixing its a great hotas with loads of features. To quote one of the reviews, "once you go all metal, you'll never go back to plastic"

Just the flight grip without the base on its own is heavier than an x52 pro!!

Intel i5 4690k

MSI GTX 970 4g gaming edition

Asus Z97k Mobo

8Gb Corsair vengeance 1866mhz

120GB Samsung 840 evo

Samsung 1TB Spinpoint hdd

Windows 10

4 channel surround

Hotas Cougar w/ 120mm machined steel extension and elite rudder pedals

DIY collective via bu0836x plus some random buttons and knobs

Cougar MFDs

Running 1920*2104 over 3 screens

I really like this community right off the bat. You all are friendly and very helpful, came from Arma community, I want to put Arma on the back burner for a while and give DCS a real shot. I am very new to Flight sims, I own them but haven't owned a Stick so I haven't played them. I did purchase the X 52 before reading this fully, what is this sensor mod you talk about? Sorry I am very new. BTW thank you everyone for being friendly and helpful, was shocked, usually most communities are rude and I'm not use to the friendly members.

I found myself this forum section very usefull when I firstly came to this community.

You will find limitations by yourself in time. No matter what anybody says you might not fully understood untill you will experince them. Something similar happens to me and with my Logitech G940 which is a quite nice hotas, but as stock it have a lot of issues. Now I am ended by having my hotas heavily moded, because I found in time what is good and what is not... as for my personal taste of course.

Romanian Community for DCS World

HW Specs: AMD 7900X, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090, HOTAS Virpil, MFG, CLS-E, custom

I had the X52 pro and didn't like it at all personally. Cheap feeling, too light and had some software problems on my windows 7 64bit set up including blue screens. An opinion reinforced greatly when I got my Warthog Hotas..

[sIGPIC]sigpic67951_1.gif[/sIGPIC]

The X52 is a great start. Of course, anyone owning the HOTAS Warthog would say it is better for DCS, but of course it is, it is also more expensive. The X52 is a great stick for most simmers. Also it has a twisting rudder, which saves you from buying rudder pedals until you decide to upgrade. (The TMHW has no twist rudder.)

Sensors are not so bad on the X52, it's just that you can feel a big difference when upgrading to a higher end stick like the TMHW.

Nice plane on that gun...

OS764 P930@4 MBUD3R M6GB G5870 SSDX25 CAntec1200 HTMHW

yap..there is nothing wrong with the X52 (I have the X52 Pro)...best money to value ratio...and yes..the TMWH seems to be way better, but it is also way more expensive

My Specs:

I don`t care..it is a Computer..a black one..

yap..there is nothing wrong with the X52 (I have the X52 Pro)...best money to value ratio...and yes..the TMWH seems to be way better, but it is also way more expensive

What he said.

Nice plane on that gun...

OS764 P930@4 MBUD3R M6GB G5870 SSDX25 CAntec1200 HTMHW

What he said.

Like I said. Second hand cougar. Quick refurb. super cheap spares still available from TM. Killer mods available that outclass even the warthog according to some. On eBay for around £130 as stock.

Intel i5 4690k

MSI GTX 970 4g gaming edition

Asus Z97k Mobo

8Gb Corsair vengeance 1866mhz

120GB Samsung 840 evo

Samsung 1TB Spinpoint hdd

Windows 10

4 channel surround

Hotas Cougar w/ 120mm machined steel extension and elite rudder pedals

DIY collective via bu0836x plus some random buttons and knobs

Cougar MFDs

Running 1920*2104 over 3 screens

Thank you everyone for advice, I really appreciate it. I was looking at the wart hog and I like it. I may end up buying it in the next few months to upgrade. I did this for a living and left it for the army, I worked on F18 E/F super hornets, was a Jet Engine mechanic on the flight deck of a aircraft carrier, miss being around the aircraft honestly. Thanks for the help everyone.

• 2 months later...

yea I am finding my self now wanting more like you all said lol, I want pedals for the UH1 and Blackshark, I love that helicopter but it's so hard to fly it with X52 Pro, well for me anyways.

Also buying a Track IR lol, can't keep looking around with stick and maybe WAY down the road Ill get a Warthog. :)