FAQ for F-15 AFM Development

cofcorpse

I am not very familiar with the FC3 aircraft. Is there a Manual for the F-15C? I have searched the forums and documents folder for FC3 but have not found answers to the following questions:

What is the correct startup procedure and the associated key commands?

What are the flap extension and retraction speeds?

What are the flap settings? As far as I can tell there are 2 settings. Either up or down.

What are the gear extension and retraction speeds?

What are the key commands for the various autopilot settings?

I noticed in the change log for the latest beta update that acronyms were used. It would be helpful if they were spelled out. For example, what is PTC? What is ARI?

Additionally, what is the proper procedure for taxiing the aircraft? Should the S key or Alt-Q keys be used? I find that it is very difficult to make tight turns while taxiing. I tried using both of the key commands mentioned, but they do not seem to have any effect on turn radius.

Thank you

Edited by Chops

I am not very familiar with the FC3 aircraft. Is there a Manual for the F-15C? I have searched the forums and documents folder for FC3 but have not found answers to the following questions:

1-What is the correct startup procedure and the associated key commands?

2-What are the flap extension and retraction speeds?

3-What are the flap settings? As far as I can tell there are 2 settings. Either up or down.

4-What are the gear extension and retraction speeds?

5-What are the key commands for the various autopilot settings?

6- I noticed in the change log for the latest beta update that acronyms were used. It would be helpful if they were spelled out. For example, what is PTC? What is ARI?

Thank you

Hi , For the questions !

1 : For the procédures actualy it not added BEACAUSE the avionics ) is SSM (Standart System Modding).

2For the Flaps normaly is max 250 kts is th max speed before the Flaps retract auto ! . And you can out flaps to under 250kts max not more! .

3 : ? like in real for landing and take off ! .

Eacj wing has a two position trailling edge flap.

The flaps are electrically controlled and hydraulically operated .

When the flaps are down ,they are trotected from structural damage by a blow yp airspeed switch.

The switch is set to automatically retract the flaps at approximately 520 knots . At 240 jkts , the flaps will automatically return to the down position .

providing the flap control switch in in th down position .

4:Normaly is 300kts max !! more than this and broke and damage your gear! .

5:For activate PA you do Lalt+1 and after push Lalt+4 (hold attitude) ! and re push Lalt+1 for desactivate! .

But not PA (H) or PA (A) .

Edited by Postal2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

== http://www.3rd-wing.net ==

Extremmmmmmmmmmeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As for the steering key commands they must be held to affect turn ability or full 360 castering (depending on the key in question). try mapping them to a switch like whats on the warthog that you can leave on without holding it.

One disengages the steering from the rudder.

The other increases the amount the wheel turns by 30 degrees or so.

"You should fly a fighter aircraft one inch from out of control at all times in a purposeful way" -Willie Driscoll USN (ret)

The State Military (CVW-17)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

VICTORY 103

F-14B BuNo 161435

VF-103

CAPT J. "Bowser" Mayse

http://www.statelyfe.com

That is the correct operation, since airframe F-15A-529. The reason for this can be pointed to the weight imbalance caused by the M61A1 and feed tanks, and the ability of the CAS/autotrim functionality to put it back in good order. While the simulated CAS may not be fully compensating as it should, the sequencing of per-side operation is correct, at least as far as the fuselage rounds.

The "natural" firing sequence of the body stations on the F-15 is

right forward

right rear

left forward

left rear

And if I remember correctly, the wing stations prioritize to the right, as well. Being that the gun is on the right side of the airframe... voila. Understand that CAS will be fixed. But don't call the sequence annoying without knowing what it's actually supposed to do, and why. There is a method to the madness.

The problem is in game it actually fires left to right from the body stations first, and is completely unstable from the asymmetry. If I forget to manually sort to my right wing station prior to my first engagement I end up completely screwed.

Not trying to disprove, but how much less weight are a pair of AIM-120s than a pair of AIM-7s? I know AIM 7 is referenced in aft-first. Picture shows a pair of 120s in the aft body stations. I know less drag produced by newer 120s. Perhaps CG is balanced with mounted rear 120s and bags on the wings like in photo?

f-15_shuttle_launch.jpg

Edited by BadK

BadK

MSI Z270 Gaming M7

Core I7 7700K @ 5.0 GHz

MSI GTX 1080Ti Gaming Trio

Corsair Vengence DDR4 2666 32GB

Corsair LE SSD 960GB

Corsair HX 650W

Corsair H100i v2

Corsair 460X Case

Windows 10 Pro 64

CH Products (FS, PT, PP)

Oculus CV1

Hey cofcorpse, is there an update to this list with RC3?

Current Flight Rig

i7 4960X @ 4.6Ghz

ASUS Rampage IV Formula

G.SKILL TridentX 2400Mhz 32GB DDR3

Crucial 1TB MX300 SSD

MSI Gaming X 1080Ti

Samsung 55" JS8000 SUHD 4K

Windows 10 x64

TrackIR 5, Warthog HOTAS

Saitek Pro Flight Combat Pedals

Custom Akers-Barnes, MkI eyeball.

Could the F15C PFM testers share info for test:

what joystick they use and the dz, curve, saturation value

that we can tune our joystick accordingly and get a more closer feeling of realistic 15C flight

SAT X/Y 100

CURVE 0

DZ 0

my case for all AFM/PFM planes

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

I tried to set up the left and right brake as axis on SaitekPro Flight Rudder Pedals (see attached picture), but when I've use them not noticing that braked depending on the force used. With A-10C it works quite well. Am I wrong in something?

Screen_140503_195555.thumb.jpg.4fc8db09f94058681bfa08063413a0fd.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Everything is possible ...

• ED Team
I tried to set up the left and right brake as axis on SaitekPro Flight Rudder Pedals (see attached picture), but when I've use them not noticing that braked depending on the force used. With A-10C it works quite well. Am I wrong in something?

Can you attach track?

• ED Team
Here is the track and YT video showing - DCS recognizes left and right brake, but the plane in game responds poorly.

It seems to me that your brake axis are inverted. Try invert them and check again, please

Also, did you pressed keyboard commands to brake?

Edited by cofcorpse

yup! try W to brake and it will work while AXES will not. The brake axes for all DCS aircraft need to be inverted. You can use "CTRL+ENTER" in cockpit view to see the axes raw input values and it will show conical bars which identify the need for axes inversion.

WHISPR | Intel I7 5930K | Nvidia GTX980 4GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR4 | Intel 730 series 512GB SSD | Thrustmaster WARTHOG | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR4 pro |

|A-10C|BS2 |CA|P-51 MUSTANG|UH-1H HUEY|MI-8 MTV2 |FC3|F5E|M2000C|AJS-37|FW190|BF 109K|Mig21|A-10:SSC,EWC|L-39|NEVADA|

It seems to me that your brake axis are inverted. Try invert them and check again, please

Also, did you pressed keyboard commands to brake?

Hi, I'm invert them, and it seems to me that it's now okay as far as the left and right sides. But problem with axis braking of the left and right brake remains. As you can see in the video below.

Module A-10C a little better recognize L/R brakes, but he takes only half commands deflection. At the beginning of the video shows Saitek pedals have a full scale commands deflection for left and right brake. I just don't understand two white squares (at the bottom) why they move when I press left brake and none when I press the right? The F-15C module situation is even worse. In options command are recognized (also by half), but in a simulation plane is not responding, or very poorly recognizes. In the beginning, I only used L/R brakes, at the end - rudder and brakes together and in the very end I'm pressed keyboard commands to brake. :helpsmilie:

A-10C_LR-braking.trk

F-15C_LR-braking.trk

F-15C_LeftB.thumb.jpg.68fa7667555fc8b9d7ecbba39be82180.jpg

F-15C_RightB.thumb.jpg.cde3768832401e8d5c6b75ec4058a28d.jpg

Edited by kobac

Inversion should not be left<->right, but 0<->100%

Go in options>controls>F-15C>axis commands, select an axis and click [axis tune] button (bottom of the screen).

There you have an "invert" checkbox option => tick it.

++

Az'

spacer.png

Inversion should not be left<->right, but 0<->100%

Go in options>controls>F-15C>axis commands, select an axis and click [axis tune] button (bottom of the screen).

There you have an "invert" checkbox option => tick it.

++

Az'

I have no idea what you're talking about. The only inverted command that I see it on the screenshots that I showed in my previous post, and I'm ticked it. Maybe you help me with your screenshot.

On the recommendation of cofcorpse I turned off "Slider" option, but all the same, braking is very poorly. As I said when I check axis only 50% deflection is registered :(

Edited by kobac

Small note regarding the video (at 3:16): the F-15C control indicator doesn't show brake pedal input, unlike the A-10C

Also, did you press and hold the S key? (to increase nose wheel turning radius)

Edited by ALDEGA

Small note regarding the video (at 3:16): the F-15C control indicator doesn't show brake pedal input, unlike the A-10C

Also, did you press and hold the S key? (to increase nose wheel turning radius)

Yeah that's what I explained in video too. I am pressing brake pedals but F-15C control indicator doesn't show braking.

Yes of course I tried it both with and without pressing the S key on the keyboard.

How is it on your side? With you everything is working properly?

Yeah that's what I explained in video too. I am pressing brake pedals but F-15C control indicator doesn't show braking.
What I was trying to say is that for the F-15C there is no visualization for brake input. The old F-15C flight model didn't support brake axes, and the control indicator was not updated when the new flight model was introduced. There is no way to see it in the game for the F-15C.

How is it on your side? With you everything is working properly?
Brake pedals are working fine on my PC. I don't know what's causing the problem on your system :(

Hi, I'm invert them, and it seems to me that it's now okay as far as the left and right sides. But problem with axis braking of the left and right brake remains. As you can see in the video below.

Module A-10C a little better recognize L/R brakes, but he takes only half commands deflection. At the beginning of the video shows Saitek pedals have a full scale commands deflection for left and right brake. I just don't understand two white squares (at the bottom) why they move when I press left brake and none when I press the right? The F-15C module situation is even worse. In options command are recognized (also by half), but in a simulation plane is not responding, or very poorly recognizes. In the beginning, I only used L/R brakes, at the end - rudder and brakes together and in the very end I'm pressed keyboard commands to brake. :helpsmilie:

Uncheck the SLIDER box.

as for 3:15 of your video, the Control Indicator you're point at is the throttle, not the brakes.

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

The arrow indicates the general control indicator, maybe I should have a bit extended, but then you said to point to rudder. I know what line in control indicator is representing which command. :D

I tried with unchecked Slider box, but result is the same - weak braking.

• 3 weeks later...

The wheel track on the F-15 is too narrow to use differential braking to make tight turns, not enough leverage for the thrust (or mass momentum) to pivot around the main gear.

To make tight turns you have to hold down the nose wheel steering range key (default: "S") while using the rudder pedals to turn the plane.

Also, you can't taxi fast while taking turns any more either, because the narrow wheel track is modeled more accurately, you'll tip the plane right over and ground loop.

Edited by Magician