New Tutorial Video: ALAMO VS AMRAAM

Hi folks,

A quick note to let you know that there's a new tutorial on my site: ALAMO vs AMRAAM; MiG-29 vs F-16C. You'll find it on the A2A page. It's similar to "R-27ER VS AIM-120: Winning the SARH vs ARH Duel" but the shorter-range R-27R replaces the R-27ER. If you've already seen "Winning the SARH vs ARH Duel" there's not much new here. Things just get a bit tighter. I made this for someone having a problem and figured I might as well share it with the community at large.

This tutorial is only available as video. Created with V1.12. Download size: 57.4MB (Edited to reflect that this tutorial was created with V1.12 not V1.02.)

Rich

• Like 15

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

awsome video buddy. Thanx for helping out the community so much. I wish I could give u reps ..but it says..."u need to give reps to others before voting for ironhand again." :(

anyways..thanx for the work again.

have fun.

cheers,

AV

WHISPR | Intel I7 5930K | Nvidia GTX980 4GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR4 | Intel 730 series 512GB SSD | Thrustmaster WARTHOG | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR4 pro |

|A-10C|BS2 |CA|P-51 MUSTANG|UH-1H HUEY|MI-8 MTV2 |FC3|F5E|M2000C|AJS-37|FW190|BF 109K|Mig21|A-10:SSC,EWC|L-39|NEVADA|

Great video!!..

Just wondering why the Devs don’t release the default tutorials as video files as well?? It would save them a lot of resources seeing as they wouldn’t have to constantly redo them, unless of course a new feature was added and we wouldn’t have tutorials that get broken every time a patch comes out..

Cozmo.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Minimum effort, maximum satisfaction.

CDDS Tutorial Version 3. | Main Screen Mods.

Great video!!..

Just wondering why the Devs don’t release the default tutorials as video files as well?? It would save them a lot of resources seeing as they wouldn’t have to constantly redo them, unless of course a new feature was added and we wouldn’t have tutorials that get broken every time a patch comes out..

Yes, they should really do this. After all, what is the first thing you do when you buy a new game? Well, I always check out the developer'ss/publisher's site, to see if there are any patches that I can download.

If there are other people like me in this world (not a very big chance of that :) ), then there are a lot of newcomers that will have trouble with the tutorials from the very beginning.

I want to get away, I wanna fly away.

Yeah, yeah, yeah!

- Lenny Kravitz - Fly Away

Great video!!..

The reason has always been file size. There are 45 tutorials in V1.1. Average video size would be a minimum of 150MB. That's roughly 6.75GB of video (if I haven't screwed up the math). Kind of hard to fit that and the sim itself on a single disk. So production costs escalate. There are some other considerations, too. But size and associated cost, to my mind, are the main ones.

Rich

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

File size and accessibility to a file over 100mb would be a problem but you can fit an entire movie on a 700mb disk with excellent quality. That’s like two hours of air time.. although I haven’t a clue how long in terms of time all the default tutorials add up to but it seems doable and might be more cost effective than redoing the tuts every so often. Maybe the next sim from ED could come on a DVD which would have plenty of room left over for say approximately 3gbs of video tutorials. That’s assuming about ten minutes for each of the 45 tutorials. Also if the tuts were put up for download as separate packages for each flyable then it shouldn’t be too bad for those on dial up either… Anyway just a thought.

Cozmo.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Minimum effort, maximum satisfaction.

CDDS Tutorial Version 3. | Main Screen Mods.

How relevant is 1.02 to 1.12 regarding this tut? I ask because of the fairly big changes that seem to come out affecting missiles between patches. e.g. Chaff affecting SARH missiles in 1.12.

My error. This was made with V1.12. I need to go back and edit my original post. I mistakenly wrote "1.02". Thanks for the question.

(Edited to add: )

Cosmonaut,

You might be onto something but I don't know enough about the technology involved. I do know that in the past things created with a computer monitor looked horrible on a TV and vice versa. If I recall correctly video CDs looked pretty bad on a computer because the resolution wasn't there.

Rich

• Like 1

_____

the 2nd amraam passes so close and it dont explodes ? so amraam has no proximity fuse ?

I purposely chose that camera angle and zoom level because I wanted the missile to be visible in the frame. So some of the "closeness" you see is a function of that. The closest point of approach was something like 160-170 feet (approx 50 meters), IIRC. But by the time it reached that distance, it was actually behind me. I don't know at what point a proximity fuse would cause a detonation. For that matter, I don't remember now exactly what it is that sets an AIM-120's proximity fuse off.

Rich

_____

I'm curious how this tactic will stand once ED patches Black shark with WAFM.

The flight path wont be as regular and predictable as this and manueverabilty in end game will probably work differently.

The text book manuever for missile evasion says that you should put the missile at you 3 or 9 Oclock and then either drag it or pitch up or down (down is more efficient but it needs alot of height to burn out). This is what I do. Sometimes I do the manuever described in this tutorial but at closer ranges and when Im already in trouble (the same with barrel roll).

Dont take this the wrong way but I think this manuever is one of those "you-can-mess-the-net-code-like-this-on-a-game-but-not-IRL" kind of manuevers.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

Ironhand thx for the explanation.

Im just courious but do you guy think in the "real world" it would be so "easy" to dodge AMRAAMs ?...

No.

And thank you. Glad you enjoyed it (the video). :)

EDIT:

Dont take this the wrong way but I think this manuever is one of those "you-can-mess-the-net-code-like-this-on-a-game-but-not-IRL" kind of manuevers.

If this was directed at me, no problem. My goal in any tutorial is to help people enjoy the game/simulation (FC is neither purely one nor the other). And my whole entry into tutorial production in the first place was a result of people saying in frustation: "Missiles are death rays! You can't escape them." My response was: "Sure you can. Here's how. Now go have fun."

So, in the end, I suppose you could say it matters less to me whether something is truly real-world than whether it allows people to enjoy LOMAC/FC. Meanwhile we can all keep gently pressing ED for a more "real life" experience as their game/simulations continue to develop.

EDIT #2: I guess we'll know we've arrived at a true simulation when only real-world tactics and proceedures work.

Rich

_____

Yea, and who really knows what those 'real' tactics and proceedures are?

Rich, I enjoy all your work and this is one virtual pilot whose flight sim experience you've helped a ton over the years. Thanks, and keep up the great work.

Louie 'Zeke'

EDIT:

If this was directed at me, no problem. My goal in any tutorial is to help people enjoy the game/simulation (FC is neither purely one nor the other). And my whole entry into tutorial production in the first place was a result of people saying in frustation: "Missiles are death rays! You can't escape them." My response was: "Sure you can. Here's how. Now go have fun."

So, in the end, I suppose you could say it matters less to me whether something is truly real-world than whether it allows people to enjoy LOMAC/FC. Meanwhile we can all keep gently pressing ED for a more "real life" experience as their game/simulations continue to develop.

EDIT #2: I guess we'll know we've arrived at a true simulation when only real-world tactics and proceedures work.

Np, either, just giving out some impressions. Like your Videos, professional looking (some with humour). :)

My PC specs below:

Excellent video and tutorial as always from Ironhead.

In on-line games, F-15 pilots seldom fly the way the AI flies. In on-line games F-15 pilot would launch from a distance where MiG/Su pilot must fight the missile, and then F-15 pilot turns 180 degrees and run. This will almost always cause MiG/Su to loose lock and the SARH looses against ARH.

I believe SARH only chance against ARH is AWACS, where SARH can be launched in HOJ (because of known range) and force F-15 to turn the jamming off.

Thermaltake Kandalf LCS | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | Etasis ET750 (850W Max) | i7-920 OC to 4.0 GHz | Gigabyte HD5850 | OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 2000 | 2 X 30GB OCZ Vertex SSD in RAID 0 | ASUS VW266H 25.5" | LG Blue Ray 10X burner | TIR 5 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Logitech G930 | Saitek Pro flight rudder pedals | Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Excellent video and tutorial as always from Ironhead.

I believe SARH only chance against ARH is AWACS, where SARH can be launched in HOJ (because of known range) and force F-15 to turn the jamming off.

Usualy the eagle will never know untill the flanker burns through the ECM. But this also increases the chances it will miss anyway.

My PC specs below:

Thanks for the tutorials, Ironhand. Thanks to you, I no longer feel helpless in the Flanker against U.S. first-string fighters. In fact, I am becoming so successful using your tactics that I now feel conflicted about shooting down so many U.S. planes.

I won't stop, but at least I feel bad about it.

:D

Ed