simulating multiplayer?

Weatherbed

hi guys, so i live in this remote part of the wilderness where we dont have high speed internet, never played multiplayer after owning FC3 for two months. haha boohoo right?

my question is how can i best edit missions to approximate the kinds of engagements you'd find in MP? apparently we are getting high speed in a month or two so i want to try and be ready as i can be.

on a "typical" server,

-how do the missions start airborne, ramp, runway?

-any starting locations in particular, like russians always fly out of russia?

-how far apart do you start?

-do you normally have AWACS support?

-is it always just fighters or do you have attack aircraft and ground elements as well?

-do american players generally try to get up high and russians in the weeds?

-how many aircraft per side?

-no labels right?

i know i cant simulate a true MP environment once the ball starts rolling but if i could have some idea how an MP game begins and some of the other variables like AWACS then i can try and make my missions as close as possible.

thanks and i hope to see you all on MP soon!

- There are servers of all types. From "Air Quake" to "we pretend we are real pilots", so to speak. Don't worry about which is the typical, worry about what you are interested in.

- Starting positions are 100% up to the mission designer. The mission designer is usually affiliated with the server operator. Anyone can be a server operator. So while the "obvious" thing is to have russians fly out of russia, this depends entirely on what the specific server operator wants. There is no uniform answer.

- "Teams" start as far apart as the mission designer decides. This varies from extremely close in "AirQuake" to hours apart for "serious" (depends on aircraft type, ofc).

- There is no answer to that. It varies too much depending on scenario.

- DCS World includes attack aircraft, attack helicopters, jet fighters, ground forces (Combined Arms), etcetera. Playing FC3 online, you are not playing "FC3". You are playing "DCS World", what FC3 does is give you personally access to those aircraft that is included in that package - in those MP servers that have those aircraft available.

- Depends on the situation, but as a general rule, I can give a tentative "yes", Yankees high and Russkies low.

- Number of aircraft per side is 100% up to mission designer. Also note that which aircraft are available per "side" is also up to mission designer. You can make "matched" sides where both "red" and "blue" have F-15s, Flankers, Migs etc. It's all up to the mission designer. And it's up to you to select the servers you feel give the type of mission you like - we don't limit you artificially, and we don't limit server operators artificially. To each their own.

- Labels, again, is up to server operator. Most "open" servers frown upon them, though. Organized "squadrons" definitely tend to frown upon them, too.

In closing, you really cannot "simulate" MP with a mission using AI. Especially not simulate "MP" on open servers. The skillset is too varied, where in MP you'll meet everything from actual real life fighter pilots (that will MURDER you) to people that have even less understanding of fighter combat than the lowest "skill level" AI.

My recommendation would be to take this time to set up practice BfM scenarios against individual/few AI's, and practice your tactics and geometry that way while reading threads here that discuss how those skills transfer to the "greater picture". Or better yet, reach out to a squadron that is reqruiting, and start getting tips from them to prepare yourself, and when you get your new connection you can go into directed training through that route.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

thanks Ethereal, thats kinda what i figured as far as servers.

what do you mean "BfM"? i have a few scenario type missions like enemy starts on my six or me at 50m and him at 10000m, 4 vs 4 meeting engagment, ect. stopped using labels and also have tacview

im itching to play MP, getting bored splashing AI lol

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

|
| Life of a Game Tester

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Robert Shaw's is your starting point. Best read ever.:thumbup:

There are 2 categories of fighter pilots: those who have performed, and those who someday will perform, a magnificent defensive break turn toward a bug on the canopy. Robert Shaw