Landing procedure for F-15 AFM

taps

Like I said, play the AOA bracket, then weights and speeds take care of themselves.

The good habits for landing is to pull back on the throttle slowly, idle at/after touchdown.

F-18 Pilots don’t flare, all the throttle work they do, descent rate and angle of attack, more thrust before the touchdown.

This. Configure your attitude to achieve the desired AOA and handle pitch/altitude corrections with throttle only. Remember: power for altitude, pitch for airspeed. The former is really the more important consideration.

In my practice runs landing at Batumi with the new F-15C PFM, I don't flare my aircraft before/at touchdown. If you're at 20-22 units of AOA, you shouldn't need to adjust pitch until after touchdown for aerobraking. If my rate of descent is a tad too high, or if my FPM is a tad lower than desired, I'll power up to reduce that vertical velocity. A modest increase in thrust right before touchdown will effectively pad your landing for that perfect runway "kiss." Season to taste based on your specific situation.

I can't stress this enough - use AOA to land your aircraft; set it and hold it at the desired value. Then use power for altitude/VV and everything will take care of itself. :pilotfly:

Edited by Echo225

That depends on desired pilot technique and aircraft weight. Ground effect can cause you to bounce so sometimes flaring is not a good idea, but you'll pretty much catch all fighters flaring for the landing at some point or another.

I’ve seen the series on TV about F-18 Canadian cadets, one of whom tried to land the jet by pulling on the stick and the instructor had to take control over, I’m only relying on my memory but it makes sense because by pulling on the stick you kill the speed and (it’s heavy at low speed) lets say the initial descent rate at 800-1000 f/min and reducing it to 200f/min by increasing the thrust.

It wouldn’t jump at the correct AoA would it?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Well, the F-15C is not an F/A-18, so it shouldn't necessarily use the same techniques. Personally, I'll try to go with the -1, so if it says flare, I'll flare.

But of course (and this has been said many times), fly the AoA, not the speed.

For example, for crosswind landings, F/A-18s manuals say to rudder out half the crab before touchdown, while F-15C manual says not to uncrab at all. I'm sure the people who wrote that had their reasons (actually, in one of the F/A-18s manuals, they actually say that they tested different techniques, and explain why they chosse that one).

I had no intention of using an F-18 example as a sort of advice for landing an F-15, but rather to indicate the difference for the broader view.

I do flare F-15 and tend to keep a little thrust until the touch down, not always perfect but always land.

I guess there is an element of laziness when you know you are going to land it but it’s more work when you actually planning for the rollout and touchdown spot.

Edited by Djent33

Season to taste based on your specific situation.

I did throw this caveat in to avoid concerns about not flaring. :doh: No worries, though; to each their own.

I find the flare unnecessary until aerobraking. IMHO, a smoother response is achieved with the throttle vice pulling the stick back for more pitch/AOA. Again, mileage may vary depending on your aircraft configuration and preferences. :thumbup:

Edited by Echo225

I think something is very wrong with brakes and front wheel lock (nose gear steering disengage seems not functional). No matter how slow my final approach is i use all my strip to brake and at the end when speed is reduced i start skidding all over.

Touchdown is somewhere in 170kts around 280kph when i look on track. Landing it self is perfect but braking is hell ride. AI however does the same and he successfully brakes in first third of strip.

Did i miss on something? :helpsmilie:

p.s. i use rudder brakes. Left and right but i apply same amount equally and slowly turning up the pressure to avoid skid. But at the end i go all the way cuz there is no more strip to ride on :)

Did u try using W for wheel brake? Did u invert the axis for wheel brakes? I found that on default, when depressed, the brakes are actually off. "CTRL+ENTER" in cockpit view and viewing the axis inputs is useful as well to get a gauge of the braking. But yeah...I am having issues of running out of runway as well when using pedal brakes. But with "W" I can stop.

WHISPR | Intel I7 5930K | Nvidia GTX980 4GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR4 | Intel 730 series 512GB SSD | Thrustmaster WARTHOG | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR4 pro |

|A-10C|BS2 |CA|P-51 MUSTANG|UH-1H HUEY|MI-8 MTV2 |FC3|F5E|M2000C|AJS-37|FW190|BF 109K|Mig21|A-10:SSC,EWC|L-39|NEVADA|

I think something is very wrong with brakes and front wheel lock (nose gear steering disengage seems not functional). No matter how slow my final approach is i use all my strip to brake and at the end when speed is reduced i start skidding all over.

Touchdown is somewhere in 170kts around 280kph when i look on track. Landing it self is perfect but braking is hell ride. AI however does the same and he successfully brakes in first third of strip.

Did i miss on something? :helpsmilie:

p.s. i use rudder brakes. Left and right but i apply same amount equally and slowly turning up the pressure to avoid skid. But at the end i go all the way cuz there is no more strip to ride on :)

Pump the brakes. And come in about 150 to 180. And don't steer to much above 40miles or knts (i'm not sure). At least that's what i do. I even can land on the small airfields now. But i still need some practicing with landing myself. My landings don't deserve a beauty price.

Go in close, and when you think you are too close, go in closer.

Man you guys come in slow

I'm somewhere between 250 and 200 :music_whistling:

Better come in straight though, it's full out drifting and explosions if try to correct once touch down

perhaps drifting and exploding correlates with your speed...

1.) Did u try using W for wheel brake? Did u invert the axis for wheel brakes? I found that on default, when depressed, the brakes are actually off. "CTRL+ENTER" in cockpit view and viewing the axis inputs is useful as well to get a gauge of the braking. But yeah...I am having issues of running out of runway as well when using pedal brakes. But with "W" I can stop.

-I invert brakes and they work cuz i throttle up with brakes before takeoff. Plane pitches forward and start to shake i bit before i let go. "W" seems not to work as before but i will try with ctrl+ENTER to see what is going on.

2.) Pump the brakes. And come in about 150 to 180. And don't steer to much above 40miles or knts (i'm not sure). At least that's what i do. I even can land on the small airfields now. But i still need some practicing with landing myself. My landings don't deserve a beauty price.

-Tried that as well and it also takes to long and i do tend not to steer but braking makes my plane sway left or right so at the end i use rudder to correct which brings me to skidding again.

What i could of been missing here is throttle. I use X-52 Pro throttle 2 bumps you can feel inside when throttling. 1st bump is low and it simulates throttle going from shutdown to idle. The second bump you feel is way above which simulates going from 100% power to full AFT. On landing my throttle is set to idle. Maybe if i go all the way down with it would be better solution????

Normal landing speed is about 10 miles above stall speed, so just do some tests with different setups, and you can easily figure out that the current afm has a very low landing speed. Touchdown at 120-130 is no problem.

i5 4670 - Sabertooth Z87- GTX Titan - Dell U3011 30" - 2x8GB RAM 1800 - Samsung 840 EVO 512GB SSD - Warthog HOTAS - CH Pro pedals - TrackIR5 - Win7 64bit

EVERYTHING IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE :thumbup:

Guys thanks for the big help. I found that my mistake was at idle throttle. All i need to do was get my throttle all the way down. Also as winchesterdelta said "pumping" helps a lot if you do it just right. Releasing brakes when the plane is about to lose it is thing i must practice a bit more. But now with throttle settled gets my plane to stop in middle of the strip.

Thank you all. :)

Here's my overhead trak. You gotta fast forward past the fight. I kinda ballooned on the break.

It was a good landing, but I would recommend a higher AOA next time. You were at 18-19 right before touchdown, and 20-22 would have allowed you to hit the deck at a lower speed. This, in turn, would allow you to stop in a shorter distance.

Thanks for sharing! I'll try and post one of my landings at Batumi tonight.

It was a good landing, but I would recommend a higher AOA next time. You were at 18-19 right before touchdown, and 20-22 would have allowed you to hit the deck at a lower speed. This, in turn, would allow you to stop in a shorter distance.

Thanks for sharing! I'll try and post one of my landings at Batumi tonight.

I aero-brake so I don't stop until near the last turn-off. Also, I'm not an AoA kinda guy. I don't use AoA in the real world and the ex-fighter guys I fly with have talked about not really using the indexer. That's just how I roll :pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Chris

I sometimes like to bring her in pretty hot and real low then slide to a stop, sans gear tumble weed;)

BadK

MSI Z270 Gaming M7

Core I7 7700K @ 5.0 GHz

MSI GTX 1080Ti Gaming Trio

Corsair Vengence DDR4 2666 32GB

Corsair LE SSD 960GB

Corsair HX 650W

Corsair H100i v2

Corsair 460X Case

Windows 10 Pro 64

CH Products (FS, PT, PP)

Oculus CV1

I aero-brake so I don't stop until near the last turn-off. Also, I'm not an AoA kinda guy. I don't use AoA in the real world and the ex-fighter guys I fly with have talked about not really using the indexer. That's just how I roll :pilotfly:

Good to know. What do you use then? IRL?

Here's my Batumi landing. I did use a bit of flare on this one, but the real work is done with the throttle. While attempting to acquire the glide slope, I set my AoA at the desire value, generally 21, and then ride the throttle to make tiny corrections to the flight path marker: power for altitude.

Feel free to provide feedback. :pilotfly:

good_landing.trk

Whatever I do I can't seem to put the Eagle down without her bouncing.

Even with an AOA of 22-23, absolutely greasing it on at 145 knots in the flare.

She always bounces onces then settles.

It's nice to practice with full load out and three tanks, fully fueled. :joystick:

Be prepared to bust that landing gear, good practice for working out a good landing profile.. :doh:

Current Flight Rig

i7 4960X @ 4.6Ghz

ASUS Rampage IV Formula

G.SKILL TridentX 2400Mhz 32GB DDR3

Crucial 1TB MX300 SSD

MSI Gaming X 1080Ti

Samsung 55" JS8000 SUHD 4K

Windows 10 x64

TrackIR 5, Warthog HOTAS

Saitek Pro Flight Combat Pedals

Custom Akers-Barnes, MkI eyeball.