Why is there no data link between SU33 and the naval battlegroup?

Kenan

I mean, I'm pretty sure those cruisers IRL with their powerful radars must be providing some sort of a datalink to SU33 (simmilar to the inland ground radar stations).

Why is this not modelled in Lomac?

Is it difficult code-vise or does the ED's sources state othervise?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commanding Officer of:

2nd Company 1st financial guard battalion "Mrcine"

See our squads here and our

Croatian radio chat for DCS World

• ED Team
I mean, I'm pretty sure those cruisers IRL with their powerful radars must be providing some sort of a datalink to SU33 (simmilar to the inland ground radar stations).

We have not any information on it yet.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

К чему стадам дары свободы?

Их должно резать или стричь.

Наследство их из рода в роды

Ярмо с гремушками да бич.

Hello Kenan,

Although some surface ships are equipped with powerful 3D air search radars and can detect high flying targets at good range, they are hampered in their ability to pick up low flying objects due to the "radio horizon".

So the right way to implement something like this, would be to include the Ka-31 early warning helicopter. The function of this helicopter is to act as a "flying radar panel" and transmit its "radar picture" to a command post on the Kuznetsov....which in turn acts as GCI for inflight Su-33s.

Cheers,

- JJ.

JJ

^^ This is the info I found on http://www.airforce-technology.com:

The main mission of the helicopter is long-range detection of threats, including airborne threats such as fixed wing aircraft and helicopters. Surveillance, target tracking and transmission of the target data to the command posts is carried out onboard the helicopter. The early provision of hostile target information increases the combat efficiency of naval, air defence and land forces.

KA-31 NAVAL HELICOPTER EARLY WARNING RADAR

The early warning radar, E-801M Oko ("Eye"), was developed by the Nizhny Novgorod Radio Engineering Institute. The 6m² radar antenna is stowed flat against the underside of the fuselage until deployed. The navigator switches on the radar system and the antenna extends, turning through 90° from the horizontal to the vertical plane. In operation the antenna rotates at 6rpm. Once the navigator has switched the radar system to operational mode, the system works autonomously without operator control. The navigator monitors the target observation on a display.

The radar has 360° azimuthal coverage. The surveillance range against a fighter aircraft size target is up to 150km. The surveillance range against a surface ship is typically 100km to 200km. The radar is capable of simultaneously tracking 40 targets.

When the radar surveillance phase of the mission is completed the antenna is retracted to the storage position. The antenna is fitted with explosive bolts enabling it to be jettisoned quickly in an emergency, such as in preparation for a forced landing.

Well, to be honest, lots of internet sources state the same. I don't see why would it be innacurate..maybe the exact radar ranges, but that's not so much important.

The way it is now, KA-31 in-game is just a piece of object not having any purpose at all. If u want datalink, u have to put huge awacs in it..every time, even if Kuznetsov is in the 'open sea'.

I'd say ED should just take a chance and release a small fix for this one..I know they may be afraid people would continue to ask for more simmilar fixes, but hey..you're not obligated to do anything, even listen to us Ka-31 moaners, right? ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commanding Officer of:

2nd Company 1st financial guard battalion "Mrcine"

See our squads here and our

Croatian radio chat for DCS World

^^ This is the info I found on http://www.airforce-technology.com:

Well, to be honest, lots of internet sources state the same. I don't see why would it be innacurate..maybe the exact radar ranges, but that's not so much important.

Well......thats what I said Kenan :icon_conf .

The way it is now, KA-31 in-game is just a piece of object not having any purpose at all. If u want datalink, u have to put huge awacs in it..every time, even if Kuznetsov is in the 'open sea'.

Yes but there is currently no Ka-31 in the game ;) - the only "Helix" version we have now is the Ka-27PL, which is a dedicated anti-submarine helicopter :)

I'd say ED should just take a chance and release a small fix for this one..I know they may be afraid people would continue to ask for more simmilar fixes, but hey..you're not obligated to do anything, even listen to us Ka-31 moaners, right? ;)

It wouldnt be a small fix Kenan - for a start we would need the Ka-31 3D model and associated code for a rotating and retractable radar panel. Furthermore, the Ka-31 doesnt work as an actual AWACS like the A-50 or E-3 where threat detection and target designation is carried out onboard the aircraft and uplinked directly to fighters.

The Ka-31 merely functions as a "high altitude" radar for a GCI network - i.e. fighters are allocated targets and directed towards them via a command & control post onboard the Kuznetsov......there is no direct communication between the Ka-31 and in-flight Su-33 fighters. But then I dont know whether this difference will be all that apparent to the fighter pilot who recieves the information on his "scope".

Cheers,

- JJ.

JJ