Thrustmaster Warthog Question

Am thinking of buying the TM Warthog HOTAS, but read that there is a rather strong center detent on the joystick, such that it takes some force to move it away from center. For those with this HOTAS, any issue with precision flying, especially when making small, minute movements about the stick center position?

I read that it is nearly impossible to fly helicopter with this because of this feature. But for fighters, does this pose any issue in terms of precise flying?

Also, for the throttles, is it necessary to lift it up to clear the Idle/Afterburner detents? As I don't intend to bolt it to the table, I don't want to end up lifting the whole throttle up and off the table !!

Thanks.

Edited by Avio

For the stick, it's a strong centering force, but it's also really smooth. It doesn't really make those small movements abrupt like you'd think. Once you get used to it you won't even think about it. Needless to say, precision fixed-wing flying is no problem at all. For helicopters, chances are you'll be eventually get to be proficient enough to keep up with most everyone else, but I'll admit there are still some better options out there. I don't know why anyone would say it's "nearly impossible" to pull it off with this stick.

The throttle idle detent is permanent, but the afterburner one can be disabled with this awesome plastic bit that flips around. You don't even really have to use the idle detent if you want, you could just as easily use your keyboard for starting up/shutting down your engines and then switch over to your throttle. Though the throttle as a whole helps weigh it down and with the idle detent you can leverage your palm against it to help keep it lifting off. The afterburner is a little more difficult to do that with. I've got a little clip thing holding it down just on the edge of the table though, and that completely keeps it from moving.

Best of luck with whatever you end up choosing! Hope you enjoy it.

Edited by pyromaniac4002

If you buy one of those extensions some guys are selling around here or SimHQ it should take less strength to move out of the deadzone and the stick should be more precise. As for the throttle, you should be able to map it so that it doesn't use the space before the engine and after the afterburner detents.

I fly blackshark with my warthog and I have zero problems with it.

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

Also using the Warthog stick and it is fine for the KA-50. I would recommend extending it no matter what to fly with it.

For those with this HOTAS, any issue with precision flying, especially when making small, minute movements about the stick center position?

No that is not the problem, I would say that the 'stickiness' is the most prominent problem with this stick. That can be reduced with new lube.

I must admit, that this looks quite interesting in comparison, but no throttle:

black-mamba-fat-02-853x1024.jpg

http://flightsimcontrols.com/store/joysticks/vkb-black-mamba-light-joystick-for-eu-customers/

Edited by tietze

Please fix the KA-50 bugs :-)

Black Shark: Controller profile & setup, TrackIR profile, pit.

Warthog HOTAS: Lubing the stick and extending the stick.

Posts on howto customize switches in DCS &

Must-have mods for DCS World and KA-50 (mostly JSGME).

Casual couch pilot, watching capped.tv...

Even without throttle, the price isn't much more than the Warthog stick, when sold alone.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Good point about the price.

It is really a pity that the Warthog has a plastic gimbal and the Mamba a plastic handle. You must combine the two to get the best i guess ;-)

I saw this scary picture of a broken Warthog plastic gimbal (not for the faint of heart):

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5957#20

Thanks folks. About the stickiness issue, does it set on after a while of use? Is it serious? I remember owning a Saitek X52 and after a year or so the stickiness was so bad that I had to throw it away.

As for the strong center detent of the stick, is it similar to the real thing in the real A10C?

And the throttle lifting past the detent, I read from SimHQ review that one could actually just ram it past them instead of having to lift it up. How easy is that?

The Black Mamba sure looks interesting. How much is that? Where to buy from?

Thanks.

Thanks folks. About the stickiness issue, does it set on after a while of use? Is it serious? I remember owning a Saitek X52 and after a year or so the stickiness was so bad that I had to throw it away.

I haven't owned the X-52 myself. I have re-greased my Warthog stick twice since autumn 2010, so it will turn 4 years this autumn. The stickiness haven't got better or worse during its life, but I might not have noticed the change.

As far as I remember it took a while to get used to the strong centering force of the stick with no extension (read: your arm will probably hurt, especially if the stick is placed on a desk. Ideally your forearm should probably be level when holding the stick).

The extension does reduce the stickiness and makes the centering force softer. It is no problem to use it for precise movement with extension.

And the throttle lifting past the detent, I read from SimHQ review that one could actually just ram it past them instead of having to lift it up. How easy is that?

No problem at all just to move them forward, but you have to lift them when moving them from IDLE to OFF.

The Black Mamba sure looks interesting. How much is that? Where to buy from?

Currently the first batch is sold out, so for the moment only available for pre-order. It is made in Russia, and possible to order from http://flightsimcontrols.com/.

what i did with my AB plastic stop is shaved the corners a little at a time til I can just push up to it then push a little harder to get AB, the engine stop is only needed for A10 it works as a push forward to start/idle position and when you come back to idle you then lift over the stop to off position. the sticks stiffness in center does improve with use, in my case I took a different option to regreasing and cleaned it off completely with liquid silicone and now all I do is squirt a small amount on the ball without disassembly and it has been fine from when they first came out. I have not had any trouble with the rubber ring as some have. hope this helps in your decision I was very wary about spending a months wages on a stick but have not regretted it.

AMD A8-5600K @ 4GHz, Radeon 7970 6Gig, 16 Gig Ram, Win 10 , 250 gig SSD, 40" Screen + 22 inch below, Track Ir, TMWH, Saitek combat pedals & a loose nut behind the stick :thumbup:

Or you can just make your warthog cyclic totaly fixed by using force sensors instead of potentiometers. I am just starting to fly with the Realsimulator FSSB R3 Warthog base and I must say it's quite a dramatic change and it takes some flying time to get used to:

RR34.JPG

It is impressively accurate, maybe too much sometimes but you can change the force sensitivity on the fly through a combination of button presses on the stick (choice of 1:1, 1:2, 3:4 or 1:4). I am flying mostly at 1:2 force.

Ah, the downside is that it is extremely expensive (450€, more than the full Warthog).

I have been using my Warthog for a few months now and I still haven't totally acclimated myself with its stiffness.

I used a Saitek X52PRO for about 3 years and that stick is butter smooth when compared to the Warthog.

It gets a little tiring after longer flights especially when flying helicopters due to the almost constant need for change in input.

It also gets a little tiring when dogfighting with the P51 for you'll be constantly deflecting the stick.

It's a good stick, but not without its faults. :)

Just modify the spring. If you google for "warthog spring modification" you'll see the relevant videos. Takes 10 minutes..very simple to do. When flying the Huey, it makes *all* the difference.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1