DCSW AMD vs nVidia Exhaust View Distance.

Yes, I added ATI for those that missed the 7970 reference earlier. Again, what's the issue? Argument was that ATI has an advantage. I said there is none.

So you established there is no problem. Are you some kind of light bringer? Do you own the truth about Ati cards that allows you to single handedly establish that there is no problem?

'Cause I have an Ati and I have a problem with the smoke, so do other Ati users.

But I guess we don't count. We must be liars, photoshopping screenshots and wasting our time reporting non-existent issues.

Well, there isn't much of a point arguing with you. I'll just say that just because YOU have everything working so wonderfully, that doesn't mean everyone else does.

There are screenshots and posts from other simmers that prove otherwise.

I managed to tweak my smoke settings to a level that is somewhat more realistic on my PC (Ati HD6950), I just don't want ED to hardcode this effect and leave it editable, so ppl can tweak it (since obviously the effect isn't consistent on every system).

• Like 1

Windows 10 - Intel i7 7700K 4.2 Ghz (no OC) - Asus Strix GTX 1080 8Gb - 16GB DDR4 (3000 MHz) - SSD 500GB + WD Black FZEX 1TB 6Gb/s

If you guys are trying to Submit legit data for a bug report, you're doing it the wrong way...

1. Smoke Rendering has nothing to do with any ANTI-Cheat Systems of DCS for one.

2. The Thickness/Appearance of Smoke can Vary depending on:

-HDR Setting

-Resolution

-FoV

-Visibility Distance

-Brightness/Contrast

-SweetFX Settings

-Internal/External View

-Pretty much any GFX Setting Dealing with FSAA/AF/Rendering.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

So you established there is no problem. Are you some kind of light bringer? Do you own the truth about Ati cards that allows you to single handedly establish that there is no problem?

'Cause I have an Ati and I have a problem with the smoke, so do other Ati users.

But I guess we don't count. We must be liars, photoshopping screenshots and wasting our time reporting non-existent issues.

Well, there isn't much of a point arguing with you. I'll just say that just because YOU have everything working so wonderfully, that doesn't mean everyone else does.

I managed to tweak my smoke settings to a level that is somewhat more realistic on my PC (Ati HD6950), I just don't want ED to hardcode this effect and leave it editable, so ppl can tweak it (since obviously the effect isn't consistent on every system).

Again, what's the problem?

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

If you guys are trying to Submit legit data for a bug report, you're doing it the wrong way...

1. Smoke Rendering has nothing to do with any ANTI-Cheat Systems of DCS for one.

-HDR Setting

-Resolution

-FoV

-Visibility Distance

-Brightness/Contrast

-SweetFX Settings

-Internal/External View

I reported the bug when 1.2.7 came out. The whole thread was moved to the wish list section. :doh:

Windows 10 - Intel i7 7700K 4.2 Ghz (no OC) - Asus Strix GTX 1080 8Gb - 16GB DDR4 (3000 MHz) - SSD 500GB + WD Black FZEX 1TB 6Gb/s

Ask a doctor

Time for you to keep quiet and quit posting in this here thread: Your contributions to date are stupendously and ridiculously useless as evidenced from the above quote and does absolutely buggerall to aid in the 1.2.8. potential issue investigative process.

To all others:

Apart from the one issue I am guessing at (head-on smoke visibility only of ATI cards), can anybody else please inform me if there are any other issues that need investigating regarding smoke rendering, ATI and NVidia?

I need specific specifics, not generalizations or general specifics, please.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Time for you to get a sense of humor.

To all others:

Have fun testing the "specific specifics" ;)

Laterz

• Like 1

To clarify:

I do not need testing.

All I need is to be constructively informed of potential specific issues. I'll test and report if/as necessary.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If some form of anticheat is implemented that say, prevents modifying of the game files, will this effect mods like HD cockpits and some texture mods?

RTX 2070 8GB | 32GB DDR4 2666 RAM | AMD Ryzen 5 3600 4.2Ghz | Asrock X570 | CH Fighterstick/Pro Throttle | TM MFDs | TrackIR 5

If some form of anticheat is implemented that say, prevents modifying of the game files, will this effect mods like HD cockpits and some texture mods?

I guess there probably won't be any anticheat anytime soon. So don't be worried about that.

Check out my YouTube: xxJohnxx

Intel i7 6800k watercooled | ASUS Rampage V Edition 10 | 32 GB RAM | Asus GTX1080 watercooled

Time for you to keep quiet and quit posting in this here thread: Your contributions to date are stupendously and ridiculously useless as evidenced from the above quote and does absolutely buggerall to aid in the 1.2.8. potential issue investigative process.

To all others:

Apart from the one issue I am guessing at (head-on smoke visibility only of ATI cards), can anybody else please inform me if there are any other issues that need investigating regarding smoke rendering, ATI and NVidia?

I need specific specifics, not generalizations or general specifics, please.

Simple, just ask ED to compare and normalise smoke rendering on ATI vs NVIDIA machines...

Consistency is whats needed.

Breakshot_Sig_2.jpg

Tim "Breakshot" Mytrofanov | C.O. of 51 ПВО / 100 КИАП Regiments | twitch.tv/51breakshot

Simple, just ask ED to compare and normalise smoke rendering on ATI vs NVIDIA machines...

Consistency is whats needed.

To what standard?

I would argue ATI as per my provided screenshots.

Then again, this brings up the very issue I raised earlier as well: Smoke-effect is a specific line/s of code somewhere, yes? Said code therefore applies to all, irrespective of what particular vid card you have. If the specific code at present has two distinct results on two cards then how does one 'normalise' the effect?

One install coded for NVidia and another for ATI? Surely that's never gonna happen. Is it not a card-driver issue?

Or have I completely misunderstood the coding issue?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

One install coded for NVidia and another for ATI? Surely that's never gonna happen. Is it not a driver issue?

If it is, as we know ATI stopped performing real optimizations for DX9 years ago and carry no direction for DCS, the issue is on their side, not NVidia.

And that's if it is an issue at all.

If it is, as we know ATI stopped performing real optimizations for DX9 years ago and carry no direction for DCS, the issue is on their side, not NVidia.

And that's if it is an issue at all.

I don't exactly follow that logic that would suggest it could be a ATI issue. Outside of producing artifacts, a graphics card is only going to render what its being told, or fail to render it at all. Its not logical to think that ATI is magically rendering a proper effect that the engine isn't telling it to. It vastly more likely that Nvidia cards are clipping the effect off.

Revert to stock values in the files. Run the same profiles that Viper did and put them here. List your settings at time of capture in accordance with those Skate mentioned. And then see what happens.

"Oh, there's something wrong with smoke!" Useful. This is not "go fetch"; a simple scientific comparison is not difficult.

-HDR Setting

-Resolution

-FoV

-Visibility Distance

-Brightness/Contrast

-SweetFX Settings

-Internal/External View

And that is merely in game; because of the small amount of difference in hue and value of the smoke area versus the background sky, there is the distinct possibility that a portion of the issue may also fall under actual monitor settings, or even gamut for some specific hardware. What may show in a screenshot on one person's monitor may not actually show up on the original user's. Its also important all users performing these tests by screenshot raise the default quality value (since I recall it being 60 rather than 100), since its at a level the algorithm may squash.

Viper- if you made tracks of those, or a mission, put them here and let's see if those complaining will do what's required.

-HDR Setting

-Resolution

-FoV

-Visibility Distance

-Brightness/Contrast

-SweetFX Settings

-Internal/External View

I'd Also add to this list:

-Display Panel Contrast/Brightness Settings

-Display Panel Color Settings. (Warm, User, Cool, etc)

-nVidia and AMD Use Different Color Profile Values...

-Aircraft Altitude/Environmental Factors

-Low, Med, High GFX Settings/Visibility Distance

The Text in Bold is prolly the most important,

as it's easier to spot an exhaust trail if the trail is above you;

Compared to having it at the same altitude or lower than you.

(easier to spot against the sky than it is to spot against terrain.)

There *Was* also some camera angles where the exhaust would pool behind an aircraft, allowing you to see a big poof instead of a trail. The last time I saw that was in the 1.2.6 Beta that was leaked on steam, I don't recall seeing it in later versions. But I also wasn't paying attention to it.

Both GPU's Render the Same thing,

There aren't AMD/nVidia Specific instructions in the engine, the engine Uses DIRECTX9, not AMD, Not nVidia Commands.

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

Slightly OT but in line with the above -> http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/ monitor calibration

City Hall is easier to fight, than a boys' club - an observation :P

"Resort is had to ridicule only when reason is against us." - Jefferson

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"

I have not any track, but sometimes in MP I find some F-15 flying at 1900 km/h, with fuel tanks and some Missiles.

Also modifying the .lua they can see the Mig-29 smoke too far and they get a unrealistic advantage at close combat without EOS.

I think ED must add Anticheat for the .lua modify.

After reading through all the posts, it seem to be some misunderstanding here.

I think he meant sombody was able to fly that fast, with fuel tanks.

And he also complained it is possible to edit a .lua file somewhere, to make it possible to see smoke/exhaust, from greater distance.( Far beyond normal)

And he refered to this as a cheat that need to be included in server clients checkup, at least thats what I get out from it.

Not at all about normal behaviour on different cards.

i5 4670 - Sabertooth Z87- GTX Titan - Dell U3011 30" - 2x8GB RAM 1800 - Samsung 840 EVO 512GB SSD - Warthog HOTAS - CH Pro pedals - TrackIR5 - Win7 64bit

EVERYTHING IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE :thumbup:

I'd Also add to this list:

-Display Panel Contrast/Brightness Settings

-Display Panel Color Settings. (Warm, User, Cool, etc)

-nVidia and AMD Use Different Color Profile Values...

-Aircraft Altitude/Environmental Factors

-Low, Med, High GFX Settings/Visibility Distance

The Text in Bold is prolly the most important,

as it's easier to spot an exhaust trail if the trail is above you;

Compared to having it at the same altitude or lower than you.

(easier to spot against the sky than it is to spot against terrain.)

There *Was* also some camera angles where the exhaust would pool behind an aircraft, allowing you to see a big poof instead of a trail. The last time I saw that was in the 1.2.6 Beta that was leaked on steam, I don't recall seeing it in later versions. But I also wasn't paying attention to it.

Both GPU's Render the Same thing,

There aren't AMD/nVidia Specific instructions in the engine, the engine Uses DIRECTX9, not AMD, Not nVidia Commands.

Check

check

check

on all parameters.

Listen, there is no point beating around the bush. Im speaking from proven testing experience from 51st pilots. We have most of our guys on NVIDIA, apart from 2 pilots on AMD.

BOTH pilots on AMD cards report visuals on smoke trails from ridiculous distances, sometimes 40km if the profile is correct. All weather conditions (apart from night obviously). Side on "spread formation" the smoke is easily visible up to 15km as a clear distinct trail.

On the other hand all NVIDIA users in our squad lose any smoke visibility beyond 3km, with many tests with different settings.

How should one explain that?!

Obviously this has to be some sort of gfx rendering disparity when it comes to smoke.

PS: all drivers were latest for both gfx card types.

Edited by Breakshot
  • Like 1

Breakshot_Sig_2.jpg

Tim "Breakshot" Mytrofanov | C.O. of 51 ПВО / 100 КИАП Regiments | twitch.tv/51breakshot

AMD Color Profile.