Combat Air Patrol /Policing with short range missiles?

Kenan

Why do peace time CAPs often consist of jets carrying short range heaters (I saw an example of this in the polish MiG-29 Baltic Air Policing video where they're carrying R-60s)?

Assuming those pilots have GCI or Awacs data link or information feed..what happens if, theoretically, they're met with a hostile enemy planning to engage them BVR, without them being able to close in and identify?

Speaking of identification, isn't the Awacs' job to do just that?

I know this may be a noobish question but I was always wondering about this.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commanding Officer of:

2nd Company 1st financial guard battalion "Mrcine"

See our squads here and our

Croatian radio chat for DCS World

Just a guess Kenan, bit I suspect one or all of the following factors:

- Not expecting to fight another fighter

- Not wanting lots of drag = fuel economy

- Missiles have a captive carry limit. Carry them often enough and they will break. R-60's are cheap.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

another reason i would say is that it forces the pilot to make a visual ID.

if they were expecting to get bounced by a bogey, the presumption would be that intel would inform this threat picture, and hence would adjust their posture accordingly.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It also prevents pilots from being ballsy and shooting over the border.

Well, I'd figure that's a thing.

Man I could really use a navigator right about now.

i7-3770K @ Stock

MSI GD-65 Z77 Mobo

G.Skill Ripjaws Z [16GB] @ 2133 Mhz

AMD Radeon HD 7950 [sapphire Tech] @ 1150/1600 Mhz

OCZ Vector 256GB [C:/]

Seagate Barracuda LP 2TB @ 5900RPM [D:/]

Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB @ 7200 [E:/]

Western Digital Blue 1TB @ 7200 [H:/]

Corsair AX850 PSU

Corsair 650D Case [so Sexy <3]

No, it's not a thing. Pilots are very disciplined. It's very, very unlikely that they would only carry heaters for such a reason.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Even if there is a fighter with live ammunition which want to kill something, the GCI directs the QRA flight not head on to the bogey. They direct the interceptors with a off-set course, so that they roll out 1-2 miles behind the bogey, under him - in his "blind area".

One do a visual ID and the other is prepared (weapons hot) to shoot a Fox 2, if the bogey will maneuver abrasive.

regards,

Fire

PS: And don't forget, they are always two - with GCI support. If the bogey/ hostile is armed with mid-range weapons and want a BVR fight, they have tactics.

Hardware: Intel i5 4670K | Zalman NPS9900MAX | GeIL 16GB @1333MHz | Asrock Z97 Pro4 | Sapphire Radeon R9 380X Nitro | Samsung SSDs 840 series 120GB & 250 GB | Samsung HD204UI 2TB | be quiet! Pure Power 530W | Aerocool RS-9 Devil Red | Samsung SyncMaster SA350 24" + ASUS VE198S 19" | Saitek X52 | TrackIR 5 | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar | Speedlink Darksky LED | Razor Diamondback | Razor X-Mat Control | SoundBlaster Tactic 3D Rage ### Software: Windows 10 Pro 64Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Why do peace time CAPs often consist of jets carrying short range heaters (I saw an example of this in the polish MiG-29 Baltic Air Policing video where they're carrying R-60s)?

The other option is R-27. I'm guessing they have none working left, or in very small numbers. They inherited a small amount of those missiles. With the transfers from Germany etc we're still talking about 100 or less of all types of R-27. That's a long time ago too.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There is simply no need to carry any kind of missiles, there is no evidence of any kind of threat from Russia. Also, it could be that they are even carrying inert missiles now. Any good pictures to confirm if the missiles are live or inert?

Thermaltake Kandalf LCS | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | Etasis ET750 (850W Max) | i7-920 OC to 4.0 GHz | Gigabyte HD5850 | OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 2000 | 2 X 30GB OCZ Vertex SSD in RAID 0 | ASUS VW266H 25.5" | LG Blue Ray 10X burner | TIR 5 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Logitech G930 | Saitek Pro flight rudder pedals | Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Hello guys,

the most important task in peace time air policing missions is the Visual ID procedure: you simply have to visually confirm the identity of the bogey, hence the IR missiles are sufficient given the range of possible target.

Sometimes, radar guided missiles can be carried if there are adverse weather conditions, because as you may know, IR missiles seeker performance is rather limited in clouds or heavy rain.

In general, all QRA flights always carry LIVE ammunition, because you never know if you are going to need it. Heaters are cheaper, both for maintenance and replenishment and are generally lighter, so they do not take too much stress on hardpoint and wings.

Also, usually there are two members of QRA flight, one takes "Eyeball" position to get attention of the bogey, to ID and communicate with it, number two takes "Shooter" position behind the bogey in optimal weapons range, so he can immediately (when the leader breaks off first, of course) fire if necessary.

• Like 2

That would be very hard (expensive) to do and they don't have much reason to do it.

considering they are now part of NATO, yes they would, and as someone mentioned their stocks of R-27s are drying up, so presumably they are no longer receiving Russian support. The Iranians integrated the f-14 and the R-27.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]