Anyone know what causes this?

Bunny

http://www.chriswarren.dsl.pipex.com/water.jpg

Can't remember exactly when I started noticing this, but I've messed about with just about every setting I can find, but can't get rid of this grid effect on water.

I have water set to medium, but setting to advanced doesn't make any difference.

Sometimes I can load up and the effect isn't there (using the same test track), but mostly it is.

Anyone any ideas as to the cause?

Adapter is Radeon 9800 Pro - 4AA/2AF, on a Pentium 3.2

Have tried with 3 different sets of drivers - Cat 3.9/6.1/6.2

Thats a an old card for this application.......

You can most likley tweek the drivers and that should help....

But honestly if you really want to see Lock on in all of its shinning glory your going to have to replace the GPU.....

I'm running a Nvidea 6800 Ultra with the lastest drivers 8198, I have everthing set to high and and I must say this rocks......

But I've heard that the new Radeon cards are also very good .....

But in reality a new dual processor with SLI is really the way to go.....

Thats my next move .......

~S~

Blaze

intel Cor i7-6700K

ASUS ROG MAX VIII Extreme

G.Skill TridentZ Series 32 GB

Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SATA II

ASUS GTX 1080/DIRECTX 12

Windows 10 PRO

Thrustmaster Warthog

Oculus Rift VR

But in reality a new dual processor with SLI is really the way to go.....

Thats my next move .......

I heard SLI and Dual Core doesn't work with Lockon... :(

=FN= Six o'Clock

Member of Falcões da Noite Squadron

Florianopolis :: Brazil

Except that I had a 9600 that ran the water fine at any setting (rendered it properly, but slowly :-(), so it's not simply the age of the card.

Also Bunny before you start throwing money at the problem - I thought I read that LO/FC didn't use dual processors & users have to run an app to force a single core to be used to get the most from their rigs, & that SLI isn't fully supported either (also that as the game hits a CPU bottleneck well before it hits GPU bottleneck with high end card, two high end cards aren't such a great investment for LO/FC). It's probably worth going to the Tech sub-forum, re-posting & trolling through a few posts there.

A 9800 PRO should run the water OK.

Maybe a driver thing, or the card's getting hot? (is the "sometimes it's not there" when the game first loads or when you've just turned the machine on?)

Cheers.

This is the only shot I have on photobucket from the old (9600) card with water in & the water's on low, but it worked fine all the way to very high, just got slower & slower. As you can see none of the effects you have & this is with no AA or AF (the water wasn't that splotchy, it's from putting in photobucket)

ScreenShot_005.jpg

Cheers.

I heard SLI and Dual Core doesn't work with Lockon... :(

No dual core isn't supported as of yet but my upgrade takes the future into consideration....

On the other hand SLI does work as the support is supplied by the video card manufacturer.....

I personally have tried a 440, 5200, 5700, 6600 and now I have a 6800 Ultra in Lock on and I must say that the most recent one is really worth the money...

Checkout this screenie....

ScreenShot_066.jpg

The shaders here are really beautiful and there are no jaggies to speak of...

~S~

Blaze

intel Cor i7-6700K

ASUS ROG MAX VIII Extreme

G.Skill TridentZ Series 32 GB

Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SATA II

ASUS GTX 1080/DIRECTX 12

Windows 10 PRO

Thrustmaster Warthog

Oculus Rift VR