How can I trace the culprit??

I recently asked for help with a problem when using Ironhands tutorials and the default Training programmes - after a few minutes flying the sound and screen stuttered and eventually locked up, with a reboot the only way out.

Since then I have discovered that this problem happens not only in Training but also in Free flight, Missions etc etc. It would seem to me that Lock On doesn`t like something with my set up...but how on earth do I trace the culprit. As a very non-technical individual I would be grateful for any advice or suggestions that would help me before I start the long and very laborious task of removing programmes and trying Lock On without them.

Many thanks

Raffer

Try turning off hardware soundacceleration in dxdiag.

i7 6700k/GTX1070-8G/MSI-Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon/32GB DDR4 Kingston HyperX PREDATOR DDR4 3000MHZ Vengeance 1600/TM Warthog #6106/Samsung SB350_S27B350H/OCZ Agility3 SSD 128GB / Win10-64/TIR5

try booting (xp I'm guess) up and disable any startup programs

start....run... msconfig.exe ...

and you should be able to figure it out from there.

This should allow you to figure out if it's another proggy or not that is causing the problem

(short of virus/adware/spyware problems)

and if none of this is the case...maybe it's driver versions issue?

What is your exact hardware?

Thanks,

Brett

Thanks for your input guys :-)

Before reading it I had already decided to work my way thru the startup programmes and eventually found the problem was with McAfee Security Centre. Once shut down FC ran just fine.

Raffer

Hi,

Great news! Glad you got it sorted out.

Enjoy the sim,

Rich

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Here's a nice free utility to shut down background programs. It allows you to pick which to shut down and even has a limited suggestion function to tell you what to shut down and what not to shut down. when you are done flying it restarts everything returning your computer back to where it was before.

It was made for Microsoft Flight Simulator but the latest version lets you pick the application you want to run so it can be used with Lock On. It even allows you to set up profiles so you can use for more than one program.

http://www.kensalter.com/fsautostart/

Edit: It's donation ware so if you like it please consider a donation to the author. Ken does a lot of work keeping this utility available and updated all on his own time and expense.

Thanks for your input guys :-)

Before reading it I had already decided to work my way thru the startup programmes and eventually found the problem was with McAfee Security Centre. Once shut down FC ran just fine.

Raffer

Norton is the caddilac and its wise to shut down autoo protect before flying.

Norton 2003 does not require activation like 2005 does so if you can find it bundeled with someones computer or if soomeone has bought it you can use that on a new install as many times as you want. The new corporate 10 version does not require activation either so to speak, but you need to be connected like me to get a hold of that.

Asus P8Z68-V GEN3/ 2500k 4.4ghz / Corsair 64gb SSD Cache / Corsair 8g 1600 ddr3 / 2 x 320gb RE3 Raid 0 /Corsair 950w/ Zotac 560TI AMP 1gb / Zalman GS1200 case /G940/