Still having problems with replay function

I see some replays go totally haywire. The action is nothing like the gameplay that happened.

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

Yes, I may just have been lucky ;)

EDIT: Is this regardless of aircraft you fly? Or one particular one, I'm just flying the F-15C at the moment and I've tuned my frames to stay about 50-60.

Edited by HiJack

That issue occures in every aircraft and DCS World version. It is also known by the devs but it seems to be pretty hard to implement this "correctly". You're right that some inputs just get recorded slightly wrong or to a slightly wrong time and because of that if you replay the wrong history strange things happen.

It does occure more often if you're using the time speed up/slow functions.

Replays aka alternate universe generators.

I don't know the details and don't pretend to know the system better than the devs (they must have some reason for choosing the solution they have now), but i've been wondering why they just don't save a timestamp and the plane's attitude, velocity and position, say, every 10 seconds in addition to the control inputs. This way the plane is periodically returned on the rails it should be on instead of going slowly out of sync.

Let's say that attitude, position and velocity are presented as 3 dimensional double-precision numbers, 3*8 bytes each and timestamp is a float (4 bytes).

In a 3 hour long track with 100 planes, saving the necessary data every 10 seconds would mean (100*(3+3+3)*8 + 4)*6*60*3 = 7780320 bytes (7.42 MB) size increase of the track file, which is imo small price to pay for replays that break much less often and are rewindable/you can jump around the track. I understand that 10 years ago storage was expensive, but this isn't really relevant today.

But yeah, they have probably some better system cooked up for EDGE and the current replay system is a remnant from earlier times. Funny fact: i have encountered similar replay wonkiness with il-2 sturmovik too, probably uses the same logic.

Edited by jubus

Can it have something to do with your ending of multiplayer missions? Can you try different ends to your mission. I normally stay connected a while after I have landed or are killed. I also stay in parachute a short while if ejecting. When I leave the server I always select "join spectator" and after that select "Disconnect" and first when I'm in the server list I exit the sim. But I have had replay issues on massive overkill missions with to much units for a week server, no one at ED can even protect against that.

I can also confirm that tracks are deviating from actually occurred events.

I had a pretty nice dogfight (F-15C vs SU-27) in which I finally got on his six, nailed him, he crashed and ended.

Saved the track .... Watched the replay and :doh: The Su-27 didn't get nailed when he was supposed to and continued to fly until the track stopped suddenly. lol!!!

Not exactly what happened.

This is with current 1.2.8 release (Not Beta)

Yes I have the same if I keep playing after the first flight. I now disconnect after each flight regardless of outcome of it and exits dcs completely before starting a new flight. But when server is crowded I guess the problem is there all the time. To bad.