Restore HOTAS profiles possible?

I grabbed all of the files and folders in the C:\Users\MyName\Saved Games\DCS\Config\Input folder and copied them onto a spare drive so that I could re-install Windows hoping that I would be able to restore the settings. Unfortunately DCS doesn't recognize the restored folders so I have to rebuild all my input settings from scratch. Am I doing something wrong and is there a way to restore my settings? I did not export the profiles from DCS World.

Nvidia GTX-1080

Intel i7-4820K 3.7 Ghz

ASUS ROG Rampage IV Extreme MB

32 GB Memory

Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If the files are from a version prior to v1.2.8, they will not work. The file structure has changed completely, and the file extension is also different.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Regarding the vast amount of settings and the similarity between different aircraft, it would be nice, very nice, to at least give the option to back up and re-install them after a re-install of the entire game.

The way it works now just SUCKS BIG TIME (<-- yeah i shouted !!).

Example: The "g" key is used in every profile to toggle the landing gear. I wonder how many people change that? Just make it common for all aircraft AT ONCE. Héhé, now the "g" key might be a bad example but what if you use a different keyboard lay-out? Like the "m" on a Querty keyboard gives a "," on an Azerty keyboard. For every action that requires an "m", i have to either look up the corresponding key or change it in EVERY profile. Makes a re-install just a pain in the ass before everything works again.

Remark: Why oh why can the Windows keyboard routines not be used in game? It would simplify the above already a lot...

Edited by Lange_666

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Regarding the vast amount of settings and the similarity between different aircraft, it would be nice, very nice, to at least give the option to back up and re-install them after a re-install of the entire game.

That has always been possible. As long as you are reinstalling the same version, the files in your Saved Games folder will always work and don't get touched during a removal/install anyway.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I ment directly from in the game, not through explorer.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

I grabbed all of the files and folders in the C:\Users\MyName\Saved Games\DCS\Config\Input folder and copied them onto a spare drive so that I could re-install Windows hoping that I would be able to restore the settings. Unfortunately DCS doesn't recognize the restored folders so I have to rebuild all my input settings from scratch. Am I doing something wrong and is there a way to restore my settings? I did not export the profiles from DCS World.

If you're the type of user who tinkers with your HOTAS profiles to get all your switches and toggles functional, this thread details the changes that 1.2.8 made to the control format, as well as a mod that allows you to remap your controls using the new format.

Thanks there seikdel but after reading through the half of the first page of posts, i already called it a day. It's like Chinese. Stuff like that is a bit beyond my head (if i actually would have the time to learn it i would but there are other things in life).

Secondly, i don't mod any input lua file to get what i want nor do i connect any of my HOTAS buttons (Cougar) to any of the key bindings. I use a profile made up in Foxy to get what i want. I only assign my axis through the ingame configuration. For this to work propherly, i have to change the default QWERTY bindings that are used ingame to AZERTY. For the letters this ain't no big deal but for the signs it's a complete different story.

I just don't want to set these up anymore every freaking f*cking time.

What bugs me is i have to re set up everything again because default stuff has loaded once more again after installing 1.2.8. So many precious time is lost in setting up this sim, time and time again.

BTW, where's that mod to remap your controls you're talking about. I didn't find that.

Also, what's the latest version of JSGME these days and where to get it (the net is stuffed with dated versions)?

Also, what's the latest version of JSGME these days and where to get it (the net is stuffed with dated versions)?

What are you finding? AFAIK, the latest JSGME is v2.6 which has not been updated since 2010.

Had 2.1.xxxx but now 2.6

BTW, where's that mod to remap your controls you're talking about. I didn't find that.

Sorry for your frustration. It's a pain when things like this change =(

The mod is right in the post I linked, but it only allows you to configure the lua files like we used to be able to. If you aren't tweaking your lua files manually, it won't be of much use to you. Sorry =(

If you are interested in tweaking the lua files (a somewhat daunting proposition), then here's a guide that shows you how to assign any clickable switch state to any button. You'd have to change the syntax to match the new format (again, in that post I originally linked), but other than that things are the same.

Note: if you like modifiers (e.g. hold down the pinky switch to change the function of all the buttons), you can do that with the lua file method. You cannot easily map sequences of buttons (e.g. open the switch cover, then flip the switch, then close the switch cover); it's doable, but it's a huge headache.

I hope this helps a little. I feel your pain; control changes suck =(

Thanks for the heads-up. I have no intentions to work with the lua files at this stage since the A-10C profile i'm having for my Cougar suites me fine.

And since i don't have a Warthog anyway, it doesn't really matter which button does what on my Hotas, as long as it works for me, i'm OK.

Some stuff would be nice to have tough like a hugh general list of all the key bindings that exist aranged in some sort of matrix where you have all the key's on the Y-axis and the flyables/driveables on the X-axis and where you simply have to mark the key you want to the flyables/driveables. Would make things a lot easier and quicker (i think) because you have everything in one view. One could add a list of changes between versions so we could immediatly see what changed.

Second thing i would like to see is using the Windows keyboard routines to output the correct key. A press on an "Q" then generates a "Q" for the game, no matter what keyboard lay-out is used.