Three New Su-27K/33 Skins

D-Scythe

D-Scythe, I think someone made a test and proved that using textures in 8bit gives no performance boost at all. I think the textures in 8bit just lose quality and they are anyway converted to 32 bits (thus enlarged). Also the normal format (DDS) contaigns also smaler textures in size so they are used to skin the aircraft at different distances thus saving graphic memory.

I know Bright is a very nice program cause I'm using it too to "compress" skins for IL-2 but, for lock on I think the algorithm don't work. Maybe someone from ED could make some light (if not already did in other place).

I'm telling you this because I see on the skin same "grain" effect that the IL-2 skins have because of the 8bits format.

Basicaly, do you have the skins in DDS format also? :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

Actually, using Bright does help, but only if you're making hi-res skins that otherwise won't fit into the CDDS files. For example, the Su-33 skin is only 512X512 max in the CDDS file, and this is simply not high enough a resolution for most people to enjoy (especially for one of the flyables in the game).

So, textures that won't fit into the CDDS files gets placed into the TempTextures folder, and each time it gets loaded in the game, it is rendered in maximum detail. That's why hi-res skins tend to hit FPS pretty hard, especially 2048X2048 skins. Using Bright reduces the size of hi-res textures, making it easier on the GPU. Obviously, installing into the CDDS through compression to DDS is still preferable, but when skins with higher-res is desired, Bright is better than nothing.

sigzk5.jpg

Actually, using Bright does help, but only if you're making hi-res skins that otherwise won't fit into the CDDS files. For example, the Su-33 skin is only 512X512 max in the CDDS file, and this is simply not high enough a resolution for most people to enjoy (especially for one of the flyables in the game).

I see...

I checked in CDDS browser and I saw that su27 has just 512X512 Mips but...

Using just one file 1024X1024 8bit that removes the use of the original in the game doesn't increase the load actualy by denieing the use of smaller mipmaps when the "skined" plane is further away and when a 128X128 (for example) mip should be used? Cause a 128X128 mip is smaller that 1024X1024 8 bit. Or the game uses the small mip in that case anyway?

Also are you shure the game doesn't convert the 8 bit texture to an 24 (32) bit one, cause I'm wondering if the graphic engine can do with 8bit texture format directly?

And also, isn't there anyway to make a 2048X2048 DDS file to enter in the CDDS (when no original with that size is there)?

later edit

I found that 2048X2048 su27 mips actualy exists :| .

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

I see...

I checked in CDDS browser and I saw that su27 has just 512X512 Mips but...

Using just one file 1024X1024 8bit that removes the use of the original in the game doesn't increase the load actualy by denieing the use of smaller mipmaps when the "skined" plane is further away and when a 128X128 (for example) mip should be used? Cause a 128X128 mip is smaller that 1024X1024 8 bit. Or the game uses the small mip in that case anyway?

Yes, my skin will increase the load on GPU. But compared to *other* hi-res skins, this load will be much smaller. I don't think I said that it will increase FPS, but save it. Otherwise I apologise.

Also are you shure the game doesn't convert the 8 bit texture to an 24 (32) bit one, cause I'm wondering if the graphic engine can do with 8bit texture format directly?

No, I'm not sure :D But sometime I'm pretty sure LOMAC doesn't.

And also, isn't there anyway to make a 2048X2048 DDS file to enter in the CDDS (when no original with that size is there)?

Unfortunately no. I tried.

later edit

I found that 2048X2048 su27 mips actualy exists :| .

Yes, in WorldTexturesBMP2.CDDS. But no equivalent hi-res texture for the Su-33 exists.

sigzk5.jpg

Interesting topic guys! Is there any way to make a CDDS file of our own? I think if we could make our own small CDDS, we could hex edit the object files (su-33.cmd or whatever) to point at these new file names, then add these new CDDS files to the graphics.cfg file. I'm thinking this might work because when ED released their black Su-25T skin there were new lines in the graphics.cfg file for the new cdds files, and new CDDS files. We would also have to add something to Meinit.xml I believe.

Anyways, might be alot of work for just a skin. How do we go about making a CDDS file for about 10 2048x2048 mips (for the su-33 or the 27) so that the CDDS browser will recognize the file as CDDS?

sig36aa.jpg

interesting... a CDDS just for new skins. Maybe ED could support this?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Interesting topic guys! Is there any way to make a CDDS file of our own? I think if we could make our own small CDDS, we could hex edit the object files (su-33.cmd or whatever) to point at these new file names, then add these new CDDS files to the graphics.cfg file. I'm thinking this might work because when ED released their black Su-25T skin there were new lines in the graphics.cfg file for the new cdds files, and new CDDS files. We would also have to add something to Meinit.xml I believe.

Anyways, might be alot of work for just a skin. How do we go about making a CDDS file for about 10 2048x2048 mips (for the su-33 or the 27) so that the CDDS browser will recognize the file as CDDS?

Well, theoretically you could insert the new Flanker skins into the CDDS file of the new 25T skin and then hex edit the Flanker object files to use it. Then in the graphics.cfg add the extra lines that came with the Frogfeet.

sigzk5.jpg

• 2 weeks later...