bearing ABRIS and HSI

Hi,

i'm trying how to correctly fly a plan route. I noted that when i reach the steerpoint, the ABRIS select the next one, but on the left frontal panel the HSI doesn't do the same thing, desidered heading remain the same. I check and HSI is in automatic mode so, how con be possible?

Basically, if you have waypoints pre-recorded in the PVI, you will be able to access them via the PVI 800 numpad. The HSI will point in the right direction accordingly. As Flanker said, the Abris and the PVI work separately. Actually the Abris is a late add on in the chopper. It won't communicate anything to the helo systems.

Waypoints are generally pre-recorded prior to flight, in most missions. They will dispaly both on the PVI and the Abris.

With the PVI-800, you have to enter the waypoint order if you want it to automatically select the next waypoint. This is also required for desired track info in the PVI-800.

To do so, after you enter your waypoints into the PVI-800, switch it to OPER. Select NAV. Select your first waypoint, then press enter, then second waypoint, then enter, etc. until you're done. Then, if the NAV light is still on, click it to deselect it.

Then you can select NAV again and you'll have a waypoint order!

Basically the PVI-800 is your main navigation and targeting system in the KA-50, with the ABRIS used more as a pilot reference than to actually interface with the other systems.

There are a few exceptions, however: the Datalink interfaces with the ABRIS, and target points programmed in the PVI-800 will show up on the ABRIS. Also, I believe the PVI gets regular positional updates from GPS (which is part of the ABRIS, I believe).

One way to looks at it is: if you want your autopilot or targeting systems to be affected, it has to be in the PVI-800.

It's one of those quaint things with the KA-50, that lends it character :). On the other hand, figuring out the PVI-800 and ABRIS is a lot simpler than the A-10C's CDU. :)

Exactly.

The HSI's needle behaviour depend on the 3 position DH/none/DT switch (Method) and on the PVI-800 loaded point (Where).

If there's no point activated in the PVI-800 or the Switch is in the middle position (none) the HSI report the direction the Autopilot is trying to mantain, the one from the last Trim release.

I'll try not to be too confusing. I might tell a few bulls, but nothing big, and I'm sure I'll stand corrected if required.

Your main navigation and targeting system onboard is the prPNK. Its a combination of many systems that will help you to fly and kill stuff, to be short. You set it on with the K-041 switch on the target management panel on your left.

Now, within the prPNK, the subsystem responsible for navigation is the PNK-800. It consists itself in a series of subsystems dedicated to navigation. Inertial Navigation Unit (INU), PVI-800, and to some extent the HSI are part of them.

PVI-800 act as your command issuing interface to the PNK-800. It receives info from the INU, and gives instructions to other systems. You can enter, select, edit waypoints, and if a sequence of them is entered, you can fly the according track with the route mode. While it's not its sole purpose, the HSI will then display infos accordingly.

The ABRIS, on the other hand, is not part of the PNK-800. As a late add-on, it can receive infos from it, but not send anything. So when you're flying a route, it will validate a passed steerpoint and illuminate the path to the next one, but it won't say anything to the HSI. The PVI-800 will.

If you fly using the AP route mode, and your PVI waypoints are organised as a sequence, your helo will automatically turn to the next WP, and the HSI will display the new heading automatically (in auto mode). The ABRIS will have nothing to do with that.

OK it seems clear. HSI, PVI-800 and INU work together, instead the ABRIS is a stand-alone system that doesn't communicate info to other instruments.

By this explanation i understand that i need to re-watch autopilot tutorial