Best helicopter?

Hey, I'm going to buy a bunch of games soon and one or two DCS modules.

I’ve decided on the Warthog because I’ve tried it and it’s quite nice… and quite cheap!

Second to break the monotony of only flying on aircraft I’m going to buy a helicopter.

Unfortunately (?) DCS offer three different helicopters and I can’t tell which suits me the best.

There’s the aggressive Black Shark, classic Huey and Magnificent Eight. How do they compare?

The Black Shark seems to have come out first (digitally) and seems to be more of an agile attack helicopter due to it being single-seat and all. Does it being the first in the DCS series mean anything bad though?

The Huey seems more old-school which I would suppose means its less complex however it can also hold a whole bunch of guys which should make it more complex. Where does it end, cumbersome and difficult or fun and versatile?

The Magnificent Eight seems even more complex capable of holding an entire crowd and with a whole myriad of switches. It is still in open-beta however and the website says not all switches are interactive though doesn’t specify which are.

There’s also the cost. The Warthog costs $40 with an $8 bonus and the Huey/Magnificent Eight cost $50 each with a $10 bonus each. The Black Shark 2 is available in Sweden for $22.

I’m assuming these bonuses are money that you get back as a store credit and can use for buying more games from the DCS store?

If so the Warthog + BS2 would cost me $62 (with an $8 bonus available for the future) and the Warthog + Huey or Warthog + Magnificent Eight would cost me $80. All would cost $142 total.

Is the Huey or Magnificent Eight worth the extra cost?

Do any of the other DCS modules have interactive cockpits? I believe the Mustang does but I’ve heard there’s a World War module of some sort coming up and will wait until that is out to buy any WWII aircraft.

Also is there any other flight simulator with more detail than DCS?

Edit: DCS A-10C Warthog is also available marginally cheaper physically than digitally in Sweden... does the physical edition contain anything of value? The flight manual? Or only the disc and basic installation guide?

Edited by Archer7

Black Shark is awesome for attack.

Huey and Mi-8 are Transport Helis, but you get fun with them.

--Huey is lighter and nice Heli, with some capability for ground attack.

--Mi-8 is heavier and have more survival against 7 and 12 mm guns. This one can carry much more rockets and more payload.

Good luck

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I would go for the Ka-50, single seat attack helicopter. Most agile, easiest to fly. I have the UH-1, but not the Mi-8 (yet). The Huey is fun, but I've only messed around with free flying it. It's more challenging to control than the Ka-50, but that's part of the fun.

I prefer fixed wing and I originally bought the Ka-50 for the same reason you're considering a helicopter, a bit of variety (and because DCS is a good sim overall). Performing attack helo missions are pretty different from those in fixed wing and I feel my time and money on the Ka-50 is well spent.

DCS is a top class simulator, but some other sims do beat it in certain areas. DCS is weak in ATC and the procedural side of things (not systems procedure, but combat). Falcon was much better at these things, but I prefer DCS overall.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

It depends what you want.

I'd say the Blackshark contains the most gameplay out of all helicopters, but it's also designed to not be a helicopter, as in it relies much more on autopilots and trimming to help mitigate the whole issues with flying a helicopter. I'd say BS is a must buy, it's extremely fun to fly but it doesn't have the hands on approach like a more traditional helicopter would.

The Huey is an old school helicopter, the fun is to actually fly it, it is not a helicopter that you will destroy a bunch of enemy tanks in but it's still very fun and my favorite to just fly around in.

I haven't used the Mi-8 much, it's a pretty simple helicopter to fly as it also uses autopilot correction it's maybe in between the BS and the Huey. I'd buy it as all modules are amazing but this one you might not have as much playtime with as the Huey or the Blackshark.

What kind of missions do you prefer? Helicopter means you have to decide between actual attack or Transport missions (troop insertion, MEDEVAC, SAR etc.) the later requires low threat environments.

The Huey is a troop transport by design and has a minimal offensive capability, but it definitely is a lot of fun to fly.

Careful! It takes some training to get it going.

The Blackshark is less about flying (given you mastered the Autopilot) , but involves using targeting equipment and laser designation etc. more similar to the A-10C.

In the end it depends on your preference!

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Each and every helo is worth at least the price they are charging for, imo.

To add what the others already said, the Ka-50 has more modern avionics and some systems are even a tad bit complex - if you dive into it deep enough. The Huey is "bare metal" flying, just your hands and feet and eyes. The systems are ... "basic", so the true fun comes right out of the flying itself. The Mi-8 has tons and tons of switches and buttons, but it's capabilities are only marginally more advanced than that of the Huey. I would say, complexity wise, the Mi-8 is somewhere between Huey and Blackshark ... maybe a tad bit more to the Huey side.

The Huey module is "mature" (yes, bugs exist and some stuff waits implementation, but no deal breakers), the manual is decent (somewhat shortish, but the machine isn't that complex as I mentioned earlier), the Hip is in beta and more "unfinished" - but absolutely playable and enjoyable! But atm there is no english manual ... The BS is the oldest module, no big bugs present (afaik! Some will disagree, but still, bugs exist in every software), good documentation.

edit:

I love all of them, but somehow the Huey has really cought me. Maybe because of the "bare metal" aspect - imo it is the "most helicopterish" helo out there atm.

Edited by Flagrum

Thanks for all the answers.

It's good to know that the Huey/Magnificent Eight are more transport-y helicopters. How does that work?

DCS doesn't have excellent graphics quality close to the ground from what I've seen and the character model in A10-C is comedic. Do the transport chopper modules also have higher quality soldier models?

I can imagine the mix of high quality and ugly models would bother me and the BS sounds like more fun so I suppose that’s the one for me. Blowing stuff up hooray.

Edited by Archer7

Whichever module the OP buys I don't think he will be disappointed.

Even though BS came out in 2008 it's as DCS as the Huey and Mi-8.

That is a bit misleading isn't it. It did after all receive updates as all DCS module have sense then. Black Shark2 is the one we should gauge that particular sim. on after all.

This was a Boutique Builder iBuypower rig. Until I got the tinker bug again i7 920 @3.6Mhz 12Gig Corsair XMS3 ram 1600 Nvidia 760 SLi w/4Gig DDR5 Ram Intel 310 SSD HDD 160 Gb + Western Digital 4Terabyte HDD Creative SB X-Fi HD Audio Logitech X-530 5.1 Surround Speaker System Dual Acer 32"Monitors. PSU 1200 w Thermaltake Win10 64Bit.

The Mi-8 can also perform bombing, Anti submarine warfare and is a great helo to master. But really whichever one you buy I guarantee by the next ED sale you will buy another chopper.

Oh and the bonus system is time limited and you gain it by buying previous modules at full price IIRC:thumbup:

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

the thing to keep in mind when deciding is that the UH-1 and MI-8, while both fully functional aircraft in the sim, are still very far from complete as far as missions goes. You will also find them difficult to employ if you like multiplayer, as most multiplay missions are geared around combat, and both these aircraft are pretty helpless against AAA-capable platforms.

I can't wait to see more missions designed around the MI-8, though. I, bought it last weekend and s far I like the way it handles in the air. The loadout options are also impressive, those GUV pods are something else.

Wait for Sale :lol: and get them All:megalol::music_whistling::thumbup::smartass:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] SMOKE'M:smoke: IF YA GOT'M!:gun_rifle:

H2o Cooler I7 9700k GA 390x MB Win 10 pro

Evga RTX 2070 8Gig DD5

32 Gig Corsair Vengence, 2T SSD.

TM.Warthog:joystick: :punk:, CV-1:matrix:,3x23" monitors, Tm MFD's, Saitek pro rudders wrapped up in 2 sheets of plywood:megalol:

If wanted to go to combat or recon then KA-50 (BS2) is the way.

If wanted to get hands and legs dirty (helicopters require pedals) by learning to fly helicopters in hard way, UH-1 and Mi-8 are the way to go. They do offer you nice close range attack runs to lightly armed (armed only with small caliber AA machine gun) convoys. But then they offer possibilities to make missions to transport infantry.

KA-50 can be boring as it is easy to fly, handles combat situations nicely and is extremely deadly from long distance. It is nice for missions to support ground vehicles, convoys or even do some maritime attacks.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Fri is right. If you don't have pedals you should acquire them in order to enjoy helicopter simulations.

K-50 is great but if you are new in the flight sim world probably it will be easier for you to start with a plane. A-10C is great plane for that.

K50, A-10C, P-51, Huy, Mi-8 all has interactive cockpits

I suggest you to start wit A-10C, K-50 (if you have pedals) and free Su-25T.

If you catch on these, you can get the rest of modules on the sale.

[B]*NOB* Lucky[/B] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Tko vrijedi leti, tko leti vrijedi, tko ne leti ne vrijedi

bah, you can fly the ka-50 with no pedals just fine.

Right. You don't need two legs to move around... you can jump on one. :music_whistling:

[B]*NOB* Lucky[/B] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Tko vrijedi leti, tko leti vrijedi, tko ne leti ne vrijedi

Right. You don't need two legs to move around... you can jumping on one. :music_whistling:

you can do it with a twist stick, just fine, some fine movements will be harder to do, but there is no reason you cant fly it, if you cant afford ones, or have no space for em.

I find that its easier with the unchain rudder mod, and learning how the heading pilot works.

you can do it with a twist stick, just fine, some fine movements will be harder to do, but there is no reason you cant fly it, if you cant afford ones, or have no space for em.

I find that its easier with the unchain rudder mod, and learning how the heading pilot works.

I second that. I started flying the Ka-50 with my Saitek Aviator and using the joystick twist for rudder and it was just fine.

I second that. I started flying the Ka-50 with my Saitek Aviator and using the joystick twist for rudder and it was just fine.

Ka-50 is possible without pedals but Mi-8 and UH-1 requires a pedals for everything. Sure you get them up with twist handle but you don't get easily anywhere.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

• ED Team

Like most of what the above comments say, all three are very well done helicopters, and each will present a different set of challenges in their different roles. Their handling characteristics are very diverse as well.

But again, the Huey and the Eight are still being tweaked and refined, with the Eight still officially in Beta status. As a person that started out with Black Shark v1.0 in 2009, I'm of course gonna recommend to start with the Ka-50, but I'm biased...

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

Hey, I'm going to buy a bunch of games soon and one or two DCS modules.

I’ve decided on the Warthog because I’ve tried it and it’s quite nice… and quite cheap!

Second to break the monotony of only flying on aircraft I’m going to buy a helicopter.

Unfortunately (?) DCS offer three different helicopters and I can’t tell which suits me the best.

There’s the aggressive Black Shark, classic Huey and Magnificent Eight. How do they compare?

The Black Shark seems to have come out first (digitally) and seems to be more of an agile attack helicopter due to it being single-seat and all. Does it being the first in the DCS series mean anything bad though?

The Huey seems more old-school which I would suppose means its less complex however it can also hold a whole bunch of guys which should make it more complex. Where does it end, cumbersome and difficult or fun and versatile?

The Magnificent Eight seems even more complex capable of holding an entire crowd and with a whole myriad of switches. It is still in open-beta however and the website says not all switches are interactive though doesn’t specify which are.

There’s also the cost. The Warthog costs $40 with an $8 bonus and the Huey/Magnificent Eight cost $50 each with a $10 bonus each. The Black Shark 2 is available in Sweden for $22.

I’m assuming these bonuses are money that you get back as a store credit and can use for buying more games from the DCS store?

If so the Warthog + BS2 would cost me $62 (with an $8 bonus available for the future) and the Warthog + Huey or Warthog + Magnificent Eight would cost me $80. All would cost $142 total.

Is the Huey or Magnificent Eight worth the extra cost?

Do any of the other DCS modules have interactive cockpits? I believe the Mustang does but I’ve heard there’s a World War module of some sort coming up and will wait until that is out to buy any WWII aircraft.

Also is there any other flight simulator with more detail than DCS?

Edit: DCS A-10C Warthog is also available marginally cheaper physically than digitally in Sweden... does the physical edition contain anything of value? The flight manual? Or only the disc and basic installation guide?

Obviously, I would say the Ka-50. Took me about a year, self-taught, learning to fly it in combat sorties in MP.

The Huey is fun.

The Mi-8 I only got it because it was on sale cheap. For me and my learning curve, I'd like to see English lettered cockpit dials and such. Have not spent much time with it, yet.

DCS does not have the Little Bird. This would be the best helicopter to get if it is ever offered and modeled well like the Shark...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MH-6_Little_Bird

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

DCS does not have the Little Bird. This would be the best helicopter to get if it is ever offered and modeled well like the Shark...

Ever seen a PAH-1 BO-105 in action?

http://fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/row/bo105.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BO-105

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

The Mi-8 I only got it because it was on sale cheap. For me and my learning curve, I'd like to see English lettered cockpit dials and such. Have not spent much time with it, yet.

You already have an English cockpit mode here http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=114166

The learning curve is very steep on A10C so I wouldn't add another complex heli like the Ka-50.

My advice is the UH-1 or Mi-8...preferably the Mi-8, since it's heavier & easier to fly, got 2 engines & better looking!

Edited by CoBlue

i7 8700k@4.7, 1080ti, DDR4 32GB, 2x SSD , HD 2TB, W10, ASUS 27", TrackIr5, TMWH, X-56, GProR.