A-10 Engine Start

MattNW

Probably a little nitpicky but I noticed on start up in the A-10 that the first indication of a start is fuel flow. I don't know about A-10s but in most jets you don't add fuel until N1 reaches a certain speed (different for different engines but around (10-20%). introducing fuel too soon can cause a hot start.

Reason I mention this is because one of the traning videos talks about hot starts. Is this realistic to have fuel flow before Gas generator turbine spools up? First time I saw this I expected a hot start and a major repair bill for my A-10. Although I guess I could just let the Air Force pay for it. :)

There is no need to get to deep into it, remember it is a game. I understand that you like it to be as real as possible (same here) but somethings you just have to let go. :)

I'm guessing you were watching the Su-25T tutorial when they told you to keep the throttle at idle when starting the engine to avoid an engine fire. According to the description of the Su-25T on the Lockon.ru main page...

The engine is represented as a complicated system of the main components models: compressor, combustion chamber, turbine and starter-generator.

The A-10 and all other aircraft in the game have not been modelled to the same standard however. This is probably why you're not seeing a hot start.

I'm guessing you were watching the Su-25T tutorial when they told you to keep the throttle at idle when starting the engine to avoid an engine fire. According to the description of the Su-25T on the Lockon.ru main page...

The A-10 and all other aircraft in the game have not been modelled to the same standard however.

Ahh they need to :icon_supe

next project after BS

You have to remember the A-10 has turbo-fan engines and not turo-jet like in most fighter type aircraft. Also most aircraft that I've ran engines on (A-10/F-4/OV-10/F-5E) you can't "add" fuel to the engine. You take the throttles "over the hump" and wait until the compresser or turbines (depending on the aircraft) come up to speed then you hit the ingniters to start the engine. This is so the airflow can build-up and push the hot gasses out the back before they can build-up to cause a hat-start.

In the A-10 everything is automatic when you that the throttle over the hump. The APU will start engine rotation, which starts the compresser, turbine, and fan spinning. The engine driven pumps come online as soon as rotation begains and because the throttle is in idle fuel flow starts. The ingniters fire and the engine starts.

In the A-10 you do have to watch your EGT temps to make sure everything works right and you don't get a hot start. Also the added air flow from the fan helps with airflow through the engine at lower RPMs.

Ugly but well hung!

I already see Dice works on these aircraft just by what he is saying...cause he is right. I am with you on this Dice, in fact I just fixed a fuel flow problem on my bird last weekend lol, was reading 1700lbs/hr just about 4 seconds after I rotated the dam thing...lol. Apparently someone screwed up the wiring job after I told them to extend the whole wiring harness so you can actually take the gauge somewhat out of the panel for troubleshooting.

As far as the fuel flow goes, most aircraft have rotation, ignition and then fuel flow and egt on the rise when it comes to starting up.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

@Cali

I wasn't saying that this ruined Lock On for me. I just tend to be the inquisitive type. I'm the kind of person who buys an ATR 72-500 add on airplane for MSFS specifically because it has an 800 page manual. :)

@Iron Legionnaire

That's the tutorial. It also happened about the same time I was setting up my joystick and got my throttle working only on one engine. I didn't think the sim would be modeled that realistically but you never know.

@Dice & Striker

Thanks for the info. I love to hear from the people who do this stuff for real. I wasn't seeing any indication of compressor RPM or hearing them spooling up until long after the fuel flow guage showed fuel was flowing to the engines.

Only RL experience with aircraft I have is with Cessnas but I do have some sim aircraft with realistic engine start. On the Dodosim Realstart Jetranger I have to engage the starter and watch the gas producer RPM until I get 15% then open the throttle and keep holding the starter until 58% N1. Didn't know the A-10 was automated. One of these days the ground crew will push a button on the side of the airplane that says, "FIGHT" and then everyone will go out for a beer. :icon_jook

...................First time I saw this I expected a hot start and a major repair bill for my A-10.....................

A nice feature of FC, is that you pay only ~$30 for the first aircraft, all the rest after that come free.........

Here how the f16 is started, not sure how relevant it is, but fuel is switched on before the Jet fuel started is engaged.

http://homepage.eircom.net/~fish44/Pictures/F16_start_sequence.jpg

Fish's Flight Sim Videos

[sIGPIC]I13700k, RTX4090, 64gb ram @ 3600, superUltraWide 5120x1440, 2560x1440, 1920x1080, Warthog, Tusba TQS, Reverb VR1000, Pico 4, Wifi6 router, 360/36 internet[/sIGPIC]

@Cali

I wasn't saying that this ruined Lock On for me. I just tend to be the inquisitive type. I'm the kind of person who buys an ATR 72-500 add on airplane for MSFS specifically because it has an 800 page manual. :)

I didn't think it ruined the game for you. I was just saying we can only be so picky, ED has a lot on their plate. Some things are more important then others, ED has done a great job on this game/sim (BEST TO DATE) Keep up the good work ED!!!