FAC / Artillery target designation problem

Gargoyle

Hello guys!

I am trying to build a mission of this type:

1) There is a stationary U.S. battery of 4xM109.

2) Maximum target detection distance a M109 can detect by itself is 4 km. But it can fire up to 22 km!

3) Let's say, at 12 km there is a parked group of 10 enemy russian KAMAZ-43101 trucks.

4) M109's artillery battery can't see them, but it is in fire range to take them out.

5) HOW CAN I SET IN THE EDITOR, SO M109s MAY GET TRUCKS' LOCATION VIA A THIRD U.S. UNIT (LIKE A M1043 HMMWV ARMAMENT) WHICH HAS CLOSE VISUAL CONTACT WITH TARGET (THE TRUCKS) SO M109s MAY CONSIDER THEM AS TARGETS AND FIRING UP ON THEM?!

I've tryied many combinations of FAC/EPLRS sets in different scenarios missions, but I am not able to achieve the purpose I described above.

M109s are not firing to their targets! :(

I would be very happy if somebody may help me!

My DCS World is v1.2.8.27203.

Thank you very much!!!!

Hmmm first thing I'll warn you is that it can take about 5 minutes for the artillery to actually fire... so before you take it for granted that they're not responding to your commands make sure you give them enough time to start shooting.

One thing I might suggest is that you go into the sticky at the top about the script library- in there you'll find a really good script that gives enhanced capabilities to the artillery. It'll take a bit of reading to sort out how to accomplish your objective... but it should work and maybe help you solve your particular issue.

"ENO"

Type in anger and you will make the greatest post you will ever regret.

"Sweetest's" Military Aviation Art

Hmmm first thing I'll warn you is that it can take about 5 minutes for the artillery to actually fire... so before you take it for granted that they're not responding to your commands make sure you give them enough time to start shooting.

One thing I might suggest is that you go into the sticky at the top about the script library- in there you'll find a really good script that gives enhanced capabilities to the artillery. It'll take a bit of reading to sort out how to accomplish your objective... but it should work and maybe help you solve your particular issue.

Thank you for your response ENO!

Usually I wait for more than 20-30 minutes (time acceleration)... but it is still not working...

Can you please post the link of this script library? I am very new in this forum! :S

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=107609

This is the specific script I was talking about...

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=118935

This is the overall scripts library.

Thank you a lot, I'll study them!

I've created a simple sample of this mission (which is not working), and I've attached it here..

Objective is: Humvee to transmit truck's coordinates to M109s, so artillery may fire on them...

I guess FAC/EPLRS should be used, but I don't know how to perform correctly that...

If somebody may re-edit this mission making it works, I would be really thankfull!!!

Artillery_FAC_Test.miz

Well someone can certainly correct me if I'm wrong but I'm not 100% sure it's designed to do what you're getting it to do. I'm not sure an FAC can be used for AI artillery- however perhaps you want the FAC to transmit coordinates to artillery clients.

Okay...

So I've made a quick adjustment and actually added a "Triggered action" to designate the truck group. You can take a quick look. I don't have CA on this computer so not sure if it'll work.

Also I noticed your artillery and FAC were set to different channels. Frankly I don't mess around with ground units / artillery that much so I'm not 100% with it.

The alternative of course is to take the FAC out of the equation and just do a fire at point- but I suspect it's not quite in line with your mission objective.

Artillery_FAC_Test.miz

"ENO"

Type in anger and you will make the greatest post you will ever regret.

"Sweetest's" Military Aviation Art

Well someone can certainly correct me if I'm wrong but I'm not 100% sure it's designed to do what you're getting it to do. I'm not sure an FAC can be used for AI artillery- however perhaps you want the FAC to transmit coordinates to artillery clients.

Okay...

So I've made a quick adjustment and actually added a "Triggered action" to designate the truck group. You can take a quick look. I don't have CA on this computer so not sure if it'll work.

Also I noticed your artillery and FAC were set to different channels. Frankly I don't mess around with ground units / artillery that much so I'm not 100% with it.

The alternative of course is to take the FAC out of the equation and just do a fire at point- but I suspect it's not quite in line with your mission objective.

Thank you again ENO!

Your mission is still not working.. My attempt was just make fire the artillery through some spotter much closer to the target than the artillery itself.

So I must find how targets are communicated between units of the same alliance...

AFAIK they isn't communication between IA ground units... (maybe I'm wrong), in fact usually arty fires only when in direct range of the target. You may want to have a look at the Artillery enhancement script made by MBot.

Or, else, you may setup a trigger which has in condition that enemy units are in a particoular zone to command fire starting, AND your FAC unit is alive (so if it's killed the arty won't fire).

ChromiumDis.png

Author of DSMC, mod to enable scenario persistency and save updated miz file

Stable version & site: https://dsmcfordcs.wordpress.com/

Openbeta: https://github.com/Chromium18/DSMC

The thing is, helicopters are different from planes. An airplane by it's nature wants to fly, and if not interfered with too strongly by unusual events or by a deliberately incompetent pilot, it will fly. A helicopter does not want to fly. It is maintained in the air by a variety of forces in opposition to each other, and if there is any disturbance in this delicate balance the helicopter stops flying; immediately and disastrously.