Saitek X55 issue.

I am having an odd issue with my Saitek X 55.

When I map the axis controls to the Throttle, it shows Joy_Y (or JOY_X and Joy Yis mapping each throttle for the a10)as the control. So once I load the sim (A10-P51 etc) my throttle controls roll.

I have the same issue with BS2.

I do not however have the issue with IL2 Cliffs of Dover or Rise of flight.

Am I missing a step? I tried and clearing the axis commands, however the issue persists.

Yes I went through each aircraft and have the same issue.

With further testing, the throttle is acting as its own stick. So the right throttle is acting as the X axis and the left as the Y access. So as far as DCS is concerned I an using two flight sticks and no throttle, I can fly with my throttle for lack of better description.

I'm sure it is a setting I am missing but am stumped at this point.

Are you using the "Game Flight Mode" under Options -> Gameplay? Then make sure, you not only select the correct layer for the airplane you want to fly, but also the correct layer in regards to "Game" or "Sim" mode.

Also be aware, that you can scroll the controller setup window horizontally - if you have more than 4 or 5 game controllers (or similar devices) attached to your computer.

If that doesn't help: start a mission and when in the cockpit, press ESC and then "Adjust Controls". There you will only have the controls for the aircraft you are flying in your mission. Check for double assignments.

And/or post a screenshot of your controller assignments.

Are you using the "Game Flight Mode" under Options -> Gameplay? Then make sure, you not only select the correct layer for the airplane you want to fly, but also the correct layer in regards to "Game" or "Sim" mode.

Also be aware, that you can scroll the controller setup window horizontally - if you have more than 4 or 5 game controllers (or similar devices) attached to your computer.

If that doesn't help: start a mission and when in the cockpit, press ESC and then "Adjust Controls". There you will only have the controls for the aircraft you are flying in your mission. Check for double assignments.

And/or post a screenshot of your controller assignments.

I found it.

The Saitek X55 is two separate controllers in windows and it reads each throttle as its own axis, hence the second joystick and being able to control pitch and roll using the throttle.

In the DCS axis control settings, under "Axis Tune" you can select the axis to be read as a slider. This cleared up the game reading the throttle inputs as axis control inputs.

DCS shows JOY_X for both the stick and the right throttle, it makes no differentiation between the two in the settings, which was causing the issue. Other sims seems to show the throttle as "Joystick1" and the control stick as "Joystick".

Thanks for the quick assistance.

I found it.

The Saitek X55 is two separate controllers in windows and it reads each throttle as its own axis, hence the second joystick and being able to control pitch and roll using the throttle.

In the DCS axis control settings, under "Axis Tune" you can select the axis to be read as a slider. This cleared up the game reading the throttle inputs as axis control inputs.

DCS shows JOY_X for both the stick and the right throttle, it makes no differentiation between the two in the settings, which was causing the issue. Other sims seems to show the throttle as "Joystick1" and the control stick as "Joystick".

Thanks for the quick assistance.

Axis tune has nothing to do with the initial problem.

Make sure, you have only one assignment per cockpit function (i.e. horizontally) over all controllers (i.e. vertically).

"JOY_X" is the name of an axis - it does not say for which controller. So you will have an controller axis JOY_X for your throttle and you will have a a JOY_X axis for your stick. Just don't map more than one axis to any cockpit function.

Axis tune has nothing to do with the initial problem.

Make sure, you have only one assignment per cockpit function (i.e. horizontally) over all controllers (i.e. vertically).

"JOY_X" is the name of an axis - it does not say for which controller. So you will have an controller axis JOY_X for your throttle and you will have a a JOY_X axis for your stick. Just don't map more than one axis to any cockpit function.

I am well aware of how the assignments work.

The Axis were all cleared before assigning new axis.

When you map the controller axis for pitch it it maps JOY_Y, if you move over to the throttle column and map the right throttle it also shows up as JOY_Y. Yes, DCS should differentiate between them, but is not, it is not identifying them as two inputs. JOY_Y on both the stick and throttle (and JOY_X) are being mapped as the exact same axis.

By going into the AXIS Tune function, and selecting the JOY_Y/JOY_X for the throttle and setting them as sliders, corrected the issue. It is repeatable for all the planes and BS2.

I did not have this issue this morning when using my X-52pro. It mapped fine, so based on that information, it must be DCS not seeing a difference between the throttle and stick axis.

Incidentally it is doing the same thing with the JOY_RZ (rudder) on the stick, and the JOY_RZ (Rotary 3) on the throttle.

Launcher_2014_05_31_14_27_49_944_zpsf283b546.jpg

I am well aware of how the assignments work.

The Axis were all cleared before assigning new axis.

When you map the controller axis for pitch it it maps JOY_Y, if you move over to the throttle column and map the right throttle it also shows up as JOY_Y. Yes, DCS should differentiate between them, but is not, it is not identifying them as two inputs. JOY_Y on both the stick and throttle (and JOY_X) are being mapped as the exact same axis.

By going into the AXIS Tune function, and selecting the JOY_Y/JOY_X for the throttle and setting them as sliders, corrected the issue. It is repeatable for all the planes and BS2.

I did not have this issue this morning when using my X-52pro. It mapped fine, so based on that information, it must be DCS not seeing a difference between the throttle and stick axis.

Incidentally it is doing the same thing with the JOY_RZ (rudder) on the stick, and the JOY_RZ (Rotary 3) on the throttle.

Launcher_2014_05_31_14_27_49_944_zpsf283b546.jpg

DCS differentiates between them as they are axes on different controllers. It JOY_X just means "analog X axis" ... and that a throttle does not have exactly an "X" axis ... is a thing of DirectX and Windows.

But I agree that DCS should not automatically map different controllers to the same function by default. And perhaps the naming of the DirectX functions should be rethought by ED/DCS (see also "BTN_xx" ... what about toggle switches? ;o)

Regarding the "Axis Tune" function: yes, you are right, it is ofc possible to do what you did. I would probably just clicked "Clear" and then "Axis Assign" ... ;o)

Anyways, your setup now seems to be fine. Have fun!

Unfortunately, Whiskey I agree with Flagrum on this issue.

I have the X-55 and it does not function the way yours does. DCS does differentiate between them. Even though the Throttle and Stick have the same names for axis designation (Joystick_X, Joystick_Y), they function independently in game and in the software. When I first installed the drivers, the throttle wasn't able to save a profile in the Rhino software. Turns out my initial problem was with driver installation. They were plugged in before the software was installed. I strongly suggest that you uninstall the drivers and software, unplug your X-55 (both Throttle and Joystick) and re-install. Don't plug anything in until the software requests it.

I do understand that DCS is seeing all of your devices, but there is obviously an issue with the drivers.

• 1 year later...

X55 pitch issues

i am using an x55, and when attempting an immelman, i can't pitch further than 45 degrees upwards. I tried other aircrafts and the same thing happens. Is there a newby switch that I am missing or is there a fault with the stick.