DCS Fw 190 D-9 Flight Manual

SimFreak

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Manual is updated on the first Page the second Circuit Panel was wrong on the D9 and was removed.

Once you have tasted Flight, you will forever walk the Earth with your Eyes turned Skyward.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

9./JG27

Pg 58 says:

"Figure 46: AFN-2 Homing Indicator

The AFN-2 indicator allows for easy navigation to ground-based homing beacons, showing both direction and range on one simple dial.

The device has two moving bars that indicate homing beacon information. Each is similar to modern-day equipment, the VHF omnidirectional range, the VOR (vertical bar) and the Distance measuring equipment, the DME (horizontal bar)."

Referencing modern day equipment like VOR and DME is inappropriate for a start the AFN2 operates in an entirely different frequency band and its operation is more akin to an NDB rather than VOR DME. To say the vertical needle represents DME is a gross simplification.

The Vertical needle simply represents Left or Right deviation of the AFN2 tuned station. The Horizontal needle is a straight out calibrated Signal strength meter that operates in conjunction with Lorenz type approach apparatus.

The centre circular feature is a Marker light that illuminates as you go over the markers. IL2 TD latest version has this operating correctly. I spent a lot of time researching this for its implimention in IL2 :)

So IMO the section should be rewritten as follows depending on exactly what is actually incorporated in the DCS D9:

Figure 46: AFN-2 Homing Indicator

The AFN-2 indicator allows for easy navigation to ground-based homing beacons, showing direction and close range signal strength and marker passage on one single instrument it operates in two modes. One for general homing and the second in association with the Lorenz approach system.

HOMING OPERATION

Only the vertical needle operates in this mode to provide beacon information. The vertical bar only indicates if the tuned beacon is Left or Right of the aircraft's nose. The amount it is deflected providing a rough guide as to how far displaced the beacon is from your nose. With the vertical bar centred you are pointing directly at the tuned station. When flying to the beacon the Left Right logic is a Deviation indication and NOT a fly to command. To centre the needle when flying TO the beacon you turn AWAY from the needle. When flying away from the station the needle operates as a command instrument that is you fly towards it to centre it. In homing mode the horizontal needle is inoperative and the centre light is inoperative.

APPROACH OPERATION (LORENZ)

The Vertical needle operates in the same manner as in the Homing mode. The Horizontal needle and centre light also operate in this mode. The horizontal needle is a signal strength meter. It is calibrated such that it only works at close range and is used to provide a pseudo range indication when conducting a Lorenz (Beam approach). When outside the calibrated range the needle will be deflected fully down. Typical calibrated start range is 5Km from the station. Inside the calibrated range it comes off the stop then rises progressively such that at the runway threshold it will be fully deflected up.

The Centre light flashes as you pass over the marker beacons. The Outer marker (VEZ in German WWII nomenclature) is a red light that flashes at 1700hz, and the inner marker (HEZ in German WWII nomenclature) usually placed at the airfield boundary is a green light (flashes at 700hz) . Outer marker was typically placed 4.7Km from the Lorenz station. The inner marker was typically placed 300metres from the runway threshold.

Left/Right alternating tones (Dash and dot) are part of the system. These tones combine to a steady tone when on the Lorenz course.

(Not sure if any of this is implemented in the D9 though)

video below illustrates Lorenz approach in IL2 BF109K4. AFN2 indicator to right of compass. Illustrates Full correct AFN2 operation.

Also the pilot on the cover should have his Oxy mask on !

Edited by IvanK

MAD MM Manual is updated on the first Page the second Circuit Panel was wrong on the D9 and was removed.

Correct, it was determined to be an change from earlier variants...

Thanks guys for enlightment.

So what i saw was the conversion from the A-8 to D-9, also the prototype of D-9.

OK:thumbup:

Edited by LcSummers

On page 10 of the manual it says " featuring a pair of 13 mm MG 141 machine guns and twin 20 mm MG 151/20E cannon" directly above the D-9 photo.

Its an mistype.

Correct is:" featuring a pair of 13 mm MG 131"

Edited by LcSummers

• ED Team

Corrected manual is uploaded in the first post.

Единственный урок, который можно извлечь из истории, состоит в том, что люди не извлекают из истории никаких уроков. (С) Джордж Бернард Шоу

Don't know about anyone else but I'd find it useful if the manuals for DCS modules had version numbers so I know whether I am looking at the most up to date one.

i7 8770 4 16MB RAM Geforce GTX 1070 8GB, Win 10 64, TH Warthog Hotas, Saitek Pedals, TIR5, Woodburning Stove, Dog, Zamberlan boots, P&H Kayak, Getaway Car[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Don't know about anyone else but I'd find it useful if the manuals for DCS modules had version numbers so I know whether I am looking at the most up to date one.

Get used to looking at the PDF properties, I am afraid. :noexpression:

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Does anyone know what the abbreviations "Ft" and "Abst." on FuG 16ZY Anschlussdose AD 18 Y (Anforderungszeichen Ln 27266-2) mean / stand for (incl. source)?

Ln%2027266-2.gif

I think "Ft", sometimes referred to as "FT-(Sprech-)Verkehr", may stand for "Funktelefonie" (normal transceiver mode), but I cannot find a source to verify.

"Abst." is probably ZY mode ...

• Z=Zielflug=DF=Directional Flight in the direction of a beacon
  • Y=Y-Verfahren=transponder system in which a ground station sends out a pulse which is received by the aircraft. The Aircraft resends this pulse on a different frequency allowing the ground station to determine the direction and distance of the aircraft

So "Abst." could mean "Abstrahlen"...

Can anyone shed some light on that?

Update:

http://www.nonstopsystems.com/radio/pdf-hell/article-hell-bernhard-DLftT-FG16ZY.pdf

P. 39:

Ferner enthält die Dose einen Schalter "FT-Abst.". Dieser Schalter wird beim Abstimmen des Empfängers auf die Y-Bodenstelle betätigt.
Thanks to mwd2.
Edited by derelor

1338 - beyond leet

ED Forum rules EN|DE|RU

Does anyone know what the abbreviations "Ft" and "Abst." on FuG 16ZY Anschlussdose AD 18 Y (Anforderungszeichen Ln 27266-2) mean / stand for (incl. source)?

Ln%2027266-2.gif

I think "Ft" (sometimes referred to as "FT-Verkehr") may stand for "Funktelefonie" (normal transceiver mode), but I cannot find a source to verify.

"Abst." is probably ZY mode ...

• Z=Zielflug=DF=Directional Flight in the direction of a beacon
  • Y=Y-Verfahren=transponder system in which a ground station sends out a pulse which is received by the aircraft. The Aircraft resends this pulse on a different frequency allowing the ground station to determine the direction and distance of the aircraft

So "Abst." could mean "Abstrahlen"...

Can anyone shed some light on that?

The "D.(Luft) T.4096 Bordfunkgerät FuG 16 ZY Geräte-Handbuch" seems to contain some info.

Example: "Anschlußdose AD18Ya (...) Ferner enthält die Dose einen Schalter "FT - Abst.". Dieser Schalter wird beim Abstimmen des Empfängers auf die Y-Bodenstelle betätigt." (page 3 04)

"Die Betriebsart A 1 Abst. dient entweder zum Abstimmen des Empfängers E16ZY nach der Ausgangsanzeige des AFN2 oder zur Kontrolle der Ausgangsanzeige bei Zielanflügen in größeren Entfernungen vom Bodensender. In der Stellung "A 1" wird die Anzeige gegenüber der Stellung "ZF" so verstärkt, daß das Flugzeug zur Prüfung der Funktion der Zielfluganzeige nicht aus dem Kurs gedreht zu werden braucht. (...)" (page 3 05)

Not sure if it belongs here but have they set what the functions are key bound to yet and will it be in the manual? I've got the other games printed out (blackshark, a10, etc) but I'd like to try to set my joystick up with a P51/FW190 similar setup with the Target software.

• ED Team

Manual updated with Derelor's corrections.

Единственный урок, который можно извлечь из истории, состоит в том, что люди не извлекают из истории никаких уроков. (С) Джордж Бернард Шоу

The "D.(Luft) T.4096 Bordfunkgerät FuG 16 ZY Geräte-Handbuch" seems to contain some info.

Example: "Anschlußdose AD18Ya (...) Ferner enthält die Dose einen Schalter "FT - Abst.". Dieser Schalter wird beim Abstimmen des Empfängers auf die Y-Bodenstelle betätigt." (page 3 04)

"Die Betriebsart A 1 Abst. dient entweder zum Abstimmen des Empfängers E16ZY nach der Ausgangsanzeige des AFN2 oder zur Kontrolle der Ausgangsanzeige bei Zielanflügen in größeren Entfernungen vom Bodensender. In der Stellung "A 1" wird die Anzeige gegenüber der Stellung "ZF" so verstärkt, daß das Flugzeug zur Prüfung der Funktion der Zielfluganzeige nicht aus dem Kurs gedreht zu werden braucht. (...)" (page 3 05)

Thank you. I did not find a direct mention in your linked documents, but from what I read I assume the following:

• "Ft": "Funktelefonie" - radio telephony
  • "Abst": "Abstimmen" - frequency tuning

1338 - beyond leet

ED Forum rules EN|DE|RU

Thank you. I did not find a direct mention in your linked documents, but from what I read I assume the following:

• "Ft": "Funktelefonie" - radio telephony
  • "Abst": "Abstimmen" - frequency tuning

Hi,

Ich weiß nicht, ob das so passt. Bin da allerdings totaler Laie :D.

Geh mal auf diese Seite

http://www.luftarchiv.de/bordgerate/funk.htm

Hier gibt es eine Grafik, die die Teile des FuG 16 ZY und der Anschlussdose AD 18 Ya zeigt ( lässt sich nicht kopieren )

* FuG 16 ZY Einbausatz für ein Jagdflugzeug

* Anschlussdose AD 18 Ya

hat

Kopfhaubenanschluß

Groblautgstärkeregler ( der große Drehknopf oben )

Umschalter mit Stellung FT / ZF Y

http://www.cdvandt.org/D-Luft-T-4069-FuG-16ZY.pdf

Seite 2 - 01

Anschlussdose AD 18 Y und AD 18 Ya

FT - siebt E-Messton heraus

Abst - E-Messton zu hören

Seite 3 - 06

Betriebsanleitung für Bordfunkanlage im Tagjäger

.. Stellung der Schalter

##### EDIT ############################

FT = Funk Telefonie

Abst bzw. ZF Y dient wohl je nach Geräteausführung fürs Homing (?)

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/showthread.php?t=704699

Under that is the AD18Ya. This controls the volume of the signal in the pilot's headset and switches between radio operation (FT = Funk Telefonie) or ZF/Y (ZielFlug or Y)

Edited by Blech

Does anyone know of any documentation on what happens when using the Emergency Gear Manual Release? I want to make sure its operating per the real thing, but havent located any documents so far...

This is description and picture from FW-190A8 manual.

1.thumb.png.8c08f927be74b016721b3a8e65889c30.png

2.thumb.png.794751a147f98de19c66bdc1e26eff90.png

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Building FW190D pit ,,To Dora with love" http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=132743

• 2 weeks later...

Is the last update the final version of the manual??

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Your eyes only see what your mind is ready to comprehend"

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Asus Z170 Pro Gaming - Intel I7-6700K - 16GB DDR4 @ 2400MHz HyperX Savage - Strix GTX 960 DC II 2GB OC Edition - Seagate 1TB