The mission "Patrol"

Zakatak

It's a single mission in which you are alone with a pair of Vikhr's and S-13 rockets, and encounter a convoy of vehicles along a patrol route. It includes a Tunguska, half a dozen Abrams with TOW missiles, and some other threats behind it. The valley is quite lacking for cover and isn't deep enough for you to fly under the enemies line of sight and strike from behind. Has anyone here managed to beat it? I can only knock out a couple tanks and maybe the AAA before getting wrecked.

EDIT: I ended up flying above the valley at the start of the mission and tried hitting the convoy from 8km instead. It worked out fine and they didn't even know what hit them, but that doesn't seem to be in the spirit of the mission and I shouldn't prepare for a force I don't know about.

Edited by Zakatak

If you fly right into them, you stand little chance. They also deploy an Igla soldier if you come too close.

So you are either far and alive or close and dead. If you want the right spirit, scan the road actively with your Shkval.

Mountaineous areas provide you unparalleled chances for taking cover and planning great ingress and ambush positions. Its them who cant go anywhere but the bottom of the valley, you can go anywhere you want.

Thats all Russian equipment down there by the way.

What I did, after first time flying head first into them, was next time going slower. Like you say, I didn't want to sort of "cheat" and fly way above as if I knew they were there, so instead I just went from one cover to the other. Using the mountain corners for cover. I would stay at each one for a fair amount of time, watching the road. At one of them, I spotted the convoy, still pretty far off, and popped the first AAA threat I could distinguish, then hid behind the mountain, flew further way, and then approached from farther distance, but again with the mountain as cover.

Worked out pretty well, but I had to do it a couple of times because my bad piloting skills I crashed into the mountain once, and another time strayed out in the open for too long and got shot haha :)