Problems with ATI R280x

Filthyone

Hello,

So, i recently bought a brand new R280x and an AMD FX8350 hopping to get better fps and game experience overall. To my surprise, im having more problems than before with the FPS.

No matter where i am ( Ramp, flying) every few minutes i get 7-8 FPS that lasts for about 6 seconds. I've played with the settings a bit with no luck, nothing seems to make it work properly.

Has anyone had this problem with any other GPU??

Posting my configuration so you guys can take a look.

Thaks!

test1.png.bd845f2256154babdf115030332800d2.png

Whats your FPS when it isn't 7-8? Sounds like your machine is choking on something. Don't know about the motherboard, but I hear R280x is a decent card. Truthfully, I stay away from AMD. Your config looks like it would run ok on that card though. 512 res and medium shadows shouldn't make it sweat. I have Nvidia 770 and Intel CPU. Runs like a charm at all high.

Edited by Chernaren Refugee

For MP on ramp they go 23-28. When flying, 39-47. The mother board its an asus m5a78l, not high end, but should work ok.

When ever it happens i alt+tab to check, and everything looks OK; GPU temp, CPU ussage, RAM Ussage.

Pretty frustrating to build something up and dont see it work as it was supposed to hehe.

Edit: So i think i found something, apparently the GPU usage drops to 0 for about 2,8 sec. Gotta love GPU-Z. Any idea why this would be ?

Edited by Filthyone

For MP on ramp they go 23-28. When flying, 39-47. The mother board its an asus m5a78l, not high end, but should work ok.

When ever it happens i alt+tab to check, and everything looks OK; GPU temp, CPU ussage, RAM Ussage.

Pretty frustrating to build something up and dont see it work as it was supposed to hehe.

Edit: So i think i found something, apparently the GPU usage drops to 0 for about 2,8 sec. Gotta love GPU-Z. Any idea why this would be ?

There was an issue with GPU dropping their instructions and having to redraw it to the monitor. I can't remember what it is called. Microsoft added code to keep the GPU from Black Screening. But did little to correct the real problem.

Someone else might remember the name of the issue? The fact that U drop to zero suggests that this is the problem U are having. (Hypothesis of course).

This was a Boutique Builder iBuypower rig. Until I got the tinker bug again i7 920 @3.6Mhz 12Gig Corsair XMS3 ram 1600 Nvidia 760 SLi w/4Gig DDR5 Ram Intel 310 SSD HDD 160 Gb + Western Digital 4Terabyte HDD Creative SB X-Fi HD Audio Logitech X-530 5.1 Surround Speaker System Dual Acer 32"Monitors. PSU 1200 w Thermaltake Win10 64Bit.

The Thread is Regarding Performance in DCS: it's in the right section.

That being Said,

Check your GPU Temps, GPU Clock Speeds, Make sure CCC isnt overriding DCS's Settings (FSAA Etc).

Run DXDiag (Winkey+R, DXDIAG), Save info, attach the TXT Here. While Posting Specs for Power Supply, etc.

DCS is Very Heavy on a Single Thread, the Higher the Single thread performance the better, so, for the FX8350

-Make Sure AMD Cool and Quiet is DISABLED (Down clocks your CPU to save power/heat. Usually around the 1.4 Ghz Mark)

(Note: Before disabling this Make sure you dont get anywhere near CPU Package Max Temp of 58/60°C when Gaming or High Loads)

-Make Sure C1E / C6 States are Disabled (They will down clock your CPU Cores when Idle or Park them)

-Make Sure Thermal Throttling is disabled

(Note: Before disabling this Make sure you dont get anywhere near CPU Package Max Temp of 58/60°C When Gaming or High Loads)

Outside of that, the steps to find the problem are significantly more advanced.

if it's dropping GPU Usage to ZERO when you alt Tab, that would be because it's minimized and not actually rendering anything.

If it's dropping GPU Usage to ZERO, while the game is being Rendered on screen, then something is up, and WDDM is Prolly recovering the Display Driver from a Time Out.

This can be because of :

A GPU hardware fault, causing the driver to crash, but allowing Windows to recover the Driver and Stack before entering an Operating System Halt State.

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Ok, So i disabled C6 and Cool and Quiet. The problems is still there, but with +1 fps. The CPU never reaches 100%, but it does reach 51ºc.

Regarding the PSU, its a nox urano vx 750w pfc. I'll post DxDiag when i get home.

Quick Question

Why would i have this problem now with a new cpu and gpu if i did not have them before with a FX 4130 and a 7700 OC Vapor X with the same configuration? Makes no sense.....

We need a lot more information. You are certain you don't have some kind of bloatware running in the background? If you installed the software that came with your MB you might want to check.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

Probably not related, but do a virus check to make sure you don't have anything using your GPU to mine bitcoins.

If you run benchmarks on your GPU do you experience the same problem?

Download and install MSI Afterburner, run that while you play. When the game drops leave it recover and then alt tab out and take a look at the graphs, did anything obvious happen? You can also setup an Afterburner server on your machine and monitor various GPU information on your phone or tablet, although that's probably not necessary.

Regards

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thank you all for your answers.

gavagai ; im going to make a clean windows install on another partition,install dcs, the modules and see what happens from there.

DTWD, i just ran a test for 10 minutes with furmark ( will try later with MSI afterburner ) and it didnt drop performance.

Will let you guys know.

So.....

After formatting, installing DCS on the same hdd as windows, updated drivers only to 14.4 (don't trust betas) and playing with the graphic options, i managed to fix the problem...... I still have to try it on a server with a lot of players. BUt it seems like it works :D

Thx all of you for your help guys!!

pagefile location or something...

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs