Fury

NineLine

Sherman Vs Tiger? Seriously ?:)) Come on Tiger is the beast

Thats a Sherman *Firefly* it could knock the armor of the regular Tiger.

Btw have a look to the distance they have each to other .... i mean they could actually throw Handgrenades.

Edited by Isegrim

"Blyat Naaaaa" - Izlom

I Know but still Tiger would eat Firefly for breakfast.....

Not even close :)

The Firefly's 17-pounder Gun outperformed the Tiger's 88mm L/56. The only gun which could maybe come close was the 88mm L/71 but that was on the King Tiger. Make no mistake, the Firefly kicked the Tiger's ass.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

The effectiveness of tank is not only a big gun it is combination of all systems , so Tiger is fare superior to any tank in WW2 even famous Russian T-34-85 , the only reason it is being defeated is rate of production its opponents.

Have you ever heard the story of "200 Russian tanks"?

Однако наиболее результативным считается непрямой разгром батальона Тигра под Фастовом. Батальон был переброшен к фронту для ликвидации прорыва. Не доезжая до линии фронта Тигры увидели разбитую немецкую колонну. Посередине разгрома высился вбитый в землю столб, на котором белела записка: "Прорвали линию фронта, теперь мочим вас, козлов, в сортире. Если не слабо - ждем вас на высоте 235.7. Двести русских танков". Проехав двадцать километров, и бросив по дороге две неисправных машины, Тигры нашли на высоте 235.7 раздавленную немецкую бтарею и новую записку: "Ждали вас, ждали, задолбало. мы теперь в деревне Убитое. Будем ждать вас там, если успеете. Двести русских танков" проехав сорок километров, и потеряв еще четыре танка, Тигры приехали в деревню Убитое. В деревне они нашли только немецкий автопарк, распаханый гусеницами и третью записку: "Ну вы и сыкуны! два часа вас ждали, задолбались! Короче, ждем вас прямо в Фастове, если уж и туда не поспеете, то козлы вы все и слабаки". Напрягая силы, Тигры на последних каплях бензина доползли до Фастова, оставив на обочинах еще шесть поврежденных машин, где и нашли последнюю записку: "Гы-ы-ы, круто мы вас накололи? Красная армия уже на сто километров продвинулась, а нас самих было не двести, а только сто!" Оставшиеся тигры покончили с собой от позора и огорчения.

I'm sorry, can't take this stuff seriously.

The Firefly's 17-pounder Gun outperformed the Tiger's 88mm L/56. The only gun which could maybe come close was the 88mm L/71 but that was on the King Tiger. Make no mistake, the Firefly kicked the Tiger's ass.

I think his statement that "Tiger would eat Firefly for breakfast....." still holds true as it points that the Firefly armor was no match to the 88mm at any range.

But the French landscape + a number of other factors (thankfully) never favoured the sniping Tiger, so...

BTW a lovely site for WW2 buffs - http://tarrif.net/ (click the flags at the top)

Uhhmmm no Viper i cant really agree with that.

They have been more or less a match.

The Firefly still did have trouble to knock the Hull and Turret front of the tiger in many situations.

That why they dropped down the Pershing at the end.

Edited by Isegrim

"Blyat Naaaaa" - Izlom

• 2 months later...

Best thing about this movie is that they used a real Tiger I (from the Bovington tank museum, the only operational one of the 6 or so left worldwide), and not a dressed-up tank like in "White Tiger" or "Saving Private Ryan". They also made the script leaner, so that the Sherman will face 1 Tiger instead of 3 (orginal script).

I'm looking forward to this one ... probably will watch it in the States when it releases on October 17.

Edited by Hans-Joachim Marseille

• 2 weeks later...
Looks 'hmm GI JOE !!!' no thx
Why is that? I think the script became much better after they changed the "1 Sherman against 3 Tigers" to "1 Sherman against 1 Tiger".

Granted, it's not a Sherman Firefly (it's a Sherman Easy Eight), but at close range it could still do serious damage to the Tiger.

And I think the Americans are not portraied as heros per se (given that Pitt's character encourages the young gunner to smash a captured German soldier's head with a tomahawk).

I'm still waiting for a film based on the book "Le Soldat Oblié" (: "The Forgotten Soldier") by Guy Sajer, but that won't happen anytime soon. Just enjoy the Tiger's roar.

Thats a Sherman *Firefly*

No, it is not. It is an M4A3(E8 ), the Easy Eight of late war (and Korea) fame. You can see the distinct running gear (the Horizontal Volute Spring Suspension and different return rollers) at 0:19 and 0:40 (oh... I should have looked past the first post or two before replying... would've saved much typing!)

The A3 versions and later had wet ammo stowage, which fixed the infamous "ronson" effect (which was caused by ammo propellant cooking off, NOT by the gasoline fuel- and the Panzer IV statistically burned just as easily as the pre-A3 Shermans).

It has a 76mm high velocity gun, M1; which had superior penetration to the 88L56 as used by Tiger I, particularly when the 76mm HVAP ammunition was utilized. The M1 had performance very similar to the British OQF 17 pounder- the 17lb had higher propellant capacity, but somewhat less effective ammunition (the 17lb APDS had significantly better penetration at very close ranges, but TERRIBLE accuracy)

Armour on the Easy Eight was significantly improved, and while not quite up to the Tiger's all-round armour, was damn close. People mistakenly believe Sherman was a weakly armoured tank; it was not.

Some of the (appears to be CG) tanks in other cuts appear to be M4A3(76)(W), as they have the older vertical volute spring suspension

Edited by OutOnTheOP

Sherman tanks were nicknamed "Tommy cookers" :P

The water bags around the ammunition OutOnTheOp refers to would make it a M4A3E8(76)W HVSS.

To be fair, the Sherman had a better gearbox than the Tiger, easier maintenance and was less costly to produce.

The Tiger's Maybach engine was designed for aircraft, so it didn't quite have the cooling capacity (being lighter).

The Tiger did field a powerful 88 mm gun, great protection all-around and prowess.

Allied troops are reported to have run from it's sight alone, and many other German tanks were mistaken for Tigers.

Sherman tanks were nicknamed "Tommy cookers" :P

The water bags around the ammunition OutOnTheOp refers to would make it a M4A3E8(76)W HVSS

No, it would not. It would make it an M4A3E8. All M4A3E8 had 76mm gun, all M4A3E8 had wet ammo stowage, and all M4A3E8 had HVSS. The (76) and (W) were only used for lower-block M4A3, to differentiate them from the M4A3 that had 75mm gun M3 (but wet stowage) (which would be M4A3(W)). You could refer to it as M4A3E8(76)(W)HVSS, but the additional equipment designators are an alternate to the E-series number, not in addition to it. Given the mouthful that is, it's easy to see why they became known simply as "easy eight"

And come to think of it, I believe I made a mistake in designation, myself. I'm pretty sure ALL M4A3 with 76mm gun were designated M4A3(76) (because, if I remember correctly, all 76mm gun turreted M4A3 had wet stowage, so the W would be extraneous in that case, too)

Also, they weren't bags, per se. The ammo was stored in the base of the turret (instead of in the sponsons above the tracks as earlier models), in a vertical "honeycomb" metal structure with a water-glycol mix filling the gaps between the individual cavities for the shells.

As to the power of the 88L56... the 76L57 outperformed it in armour penetration with the ammunition in use by each side contemporaneously (76mm HVAP: 139mm at 500 m, 127mm at 1,000; 88mm APCBC: 110mm at 500m, 99mm at 1,000m). The 88L56 DID have an APCR (essentially the same construction as HVAP) round available which outperformed the 76mm HVAP, but tungsten was in such high demand in Germany for machine tools that almost none of the German APCR was produced or used... particularly later on. The US didn't issue TONS of HVAP, but by the time the M4A3E8 was in use, each tank would have had 2-5 rounds on hand (which the crew would reserve for the tougher targets like Tiger). Keep in mind, up until the end of the war, the majority of German tanks were the PzKw IV. The Sherman bested the IV in pretty much ever metric.

Edited by OutOnTheOP

• 2 months later...

The movie was terrible. And I really approached it with a "this is an action movie" mindset. If you know the typical horror movie "let's split!" motive then this is exactly what you can expect from this one. Battle-hardened SS-weterans flocking right before the Shermans main machine gun like Afghans in the last scene of the 9th Company http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0417397/ Apparently someone thinks even a glimpse of common sense turns a movie into a complete box office failure. Screw this.

The movie was terrible. And I really approached it with a "this is an action movie" mindset. If you know the typical horror movie "let's split!" motive then this is exactly what you can expect from this one. Battle-hardened SS-weterans flocking right before the Shermans main machine gun like Afghans in the last scene of the 9th Company http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0417397/ Apparently someone thinks even a glimpse of common sense turns a movie into a complete box office failure. Screw this.

I have to agree to this, it was a kinda "fun" movie. But hell... :doh: You know a bad script when the movie relys on mindless "enemies".

Edited by ericoh