X850 Pro Fan only at 67% max?

hi guys,

I picked up an X850 Pro fan and it is an excellent vid card. Earlier I was considering a 6800 but for a 6800 + shipping, I got the X850 for around the same price and it can be OC'd to an X850 XT which comes close to a 7800. Of course, this is what I read... ;)

The thing is, it has a built in fan on it that runs only as much as it needs to to keep the VPU at a certain temperature. So, for example, on the desktop right now, it's at 36 degrees C and 54%. The thing is, when I start Lock On, the temp goes up over 60 but the fan only goes up to around 67%. This is all found out using ATI Tool.

So, I'm wondering, why doesn't the fan go to 100%? I heard a vid card lasts twice as long for each 10 degrees C lower it runs, so I would rather have that little fan give out than my vid card giving out early. Is there a mod or something that can let me crank up the speed on that fan? The only time I get 100% out of that fan is when it boots up, and you can hear that sucker ;)

Thanks in advance

sig36aa.jpg

Guest EVIL-SCOTSMAN

if your that worried, strap another fan onto the vid card, doesnt have to an adjustable rpm one, just make sure its spinning and you will drop your temps even further.

Thx Nate and Scotsman!

Yeah I could not find the option to change the fan speed on ATI Tool. It also said not all cards supported the option to change fan speeds. So, right now I'm still just testing it, to see if the temp ever goes above 70 but it all looks great.

Yeah Scotsman, I tested the card with BF 2 a bit and the game crashed. Then again BF 2 has issues of it's own. So I wasn't sure if it was the card so I placed an old 5 inch PC fan on the side of the tower (it has it's own power) and now everything's running great! With regards to Lock On, the temperature rarely goes above 50C now so that's good.

sig36aa.jpg

Thx Nate and Scotsman!

Yeah I could not find the option to change the fan speed on ATI Tool. It also said not all cards supported the option to change fan speeds. So, right now I'm still just testing it, to see if the temp ever goes above 70 but it all looks great.

You can try ATI Tray Tool.

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=733

You can set a profile to change the fan speed with GPU temperature. Your temperature looks fine. There is nothing to worry about.

Nowi

Intel Xeon E5-1650 v2

ASUS Sabertooth X79

4 x 4GB Crucial Ballistix VLP PC3-12800

ASUS Cerberus GTX 1070 Ti 8 Gb

Seasonic Platinum 860W

Thrustmaster Cougar Uber II Nxt

CH Products PT/TQ/MFP

Slaw Pedals

TrackIR 5

Thx Walter, I downloaded it and tried it. I looked pretty much everywhere but never saw anything to do with fan speed (or fan speed with relation to VPU usage). Anyways temps are good so I'll leave it like this.

sig36aa.jpg

Thx Walter, I downloaded it and tried it. I looked pretty much everywhere but never saw anything to do with fan speed (or fan speed with relation to VPU usage). Anyways temps are good so I'll leave it like this.

Look under Hardware->Overclocking Settings..., and click on the fan tab. Select the "Manual Speed" button, and then modify your fan speed percentage in relationship to GPU temperature. By the way, I am using version 1.03.755, yours might be a little different. Hope this helps.

Nowi

Intel Xeon E5-1650 v2

ASUS Sabertooth X79

4 x 4GB Crucial Ballistix VLP PC3-12800

ASUS Cerberus GTX 1070 Ti 8 Gb

Seasonic Platinum 860W

Thrustmaster Cougar Uber II Nxt

CH Products PT/TQ/MFP

Slaw Pedals

TrackIR 5

Wow that ATI Tray Tools is great! I set my fan speed to hot keys ctrl+shift+7, 8, 9, 0 for auto, 80%, 90% and 100%, and it works great. I tweaked the % fan speed with respect to GPU temps.

I also enabled Onscreen display, so I can see my FPS, my GPU temps and GPU fan speed, and my MB temps (through Speedfan), all in game. Very very nice, a must for anyone who uses ATI cards! Very nice.

sig36aa.jpg