ICBM - "separation" shortly after launch?

Supersheep

Another curiosity, at 52:52 min (link is timestamped):

What is the thing at the top of the missile that is blown away, and why does it need to be discarded? It looks like the vehicle gets a good kick out of it, and makes attitude control more complicated. Plus, it wastes some nice thrust.

(Sorry, I cannot identify the missile type although I see how that would be helpful)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJxN_2sXuHA&t=52m52s

As a guess, I'd say it is some sort of casing that is expended after getting the missile out of the water and into the air. Not that I really know much about these things. But it looks like a sea launch missile.

the rubber? :D

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

I am also thinking about some sort of fairing, but had assumed that it'd be better blown off after max areodynamic pressure had been reached to protect whatever is under it. Which leads to the question as to why it's blown off in the first place, since it'll be exposed to aero-pressure again later in the flight. My thinking does not seem to plausible to me, maybe we'll get more ideas.

BTW I think that it's a land-based, silo launched vehicle. In the first few frames of the scene, the horizon appears to be "land-ly".

Probably the same as in the launches before that: The first missile-stage.

You can see that in the other launches before your mark. Just the first stage seems to be blown to pieces for most of the missiles, rather than pushed away.

I asume that this is implemented as a safety measure for ship-based or other mobile launches. The explosion and falling parts could cause damage to the launching sub or vehicle below.

Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H | i7 4470k @ 4.5 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @ 2.133 Ghz | GTX 1080 | LG 55" @ 4K | Cougar 1000 W | Creative X-Fi Ti | TIR5 | CH HOTAS (with BU0836X-12 Bit) + Crosswind Pedals | Win10 64 HP | X-Keys Pro 20 & Pro 54 | 2x TM MFD

Could it be that we mean different things with the term 'first stage'?

I don't understand this idea, to be honest. The first stage is the big rocket engine that is continuously burning, and continues its ascend. The other part is something that does not produce thrust before being jettisoned, as it originates from the top of the missile. The smaller motor quickly fizzles out. If the first stage was dumped, wouldn't there need to be another rocket booster?

Anyways, thanks for all the input!