Mi-8MTV2 Magnificent Eight question

Hello. I'm going to buy DCS: Mi-8MTV2 Magnificent Eight, but before purchase I have a question about it. Is there an Easy Flight Mode like in Ka-50 Black Shark 2. I really like Easy Flight Mode in flight simulators. For me is much more enjoyable then proper simulator. I read that DCS: Mi-8MTV2 Magnificent Eight is this kind of game and I couldn't find any information about Easy Flight Mode there. Thanks for help.

To be honest, if you enjoy easy flight mode you're probably better off with another game. If you want to use easy flight mode as a start point before learning a full sim, then this game is a good choice. But as Retro mentioned, I don't think there is one for the Mi-8.

Maybe Arma 2 / 3 would be a better choice for you? Or Take On Helicopters?

EDIT - Nothing wrong with not wanting to play full sim. Everyone has their own preferences.

Hello. I'm going to buy DCS: Mi-8MTV2 Magnificent Eight, but before purchase I have a question about it. Is there an Easy Flight Mode like in Ka-50 Black Shark 2. I really like Easy Flight Mode in flight simulators. For me is much more enjoyable then proper simulator. I read that DCS: Mi-8MTV2 Magnificent Eight is this kind of game and I couldn't find any information about Easy Flight Mode there. Thanks for help.

Hello sir and welcome to the forums.

Please, don't be daunted by the reactions many will have when you ask questions like that. Most people believe the only way to enjoy this game is by playing it with all difficulty settings cranked all the way up. This could not be farther from the truth.

The best way to enjoy anything in life is to enjoy it the way you like it the most.

Your question was fair and square and your motivations totally valuable. Easy flight mode is there and it's there to be used by whomever feels like it. :)

Unfortunately, the Mi-8 simulator, even though highly playable in current state, is still a beta product and, therefore, many of its features are still work in progress. The easy flight mode is there. You set it to easy and you can fly that beast even with the keyboard, however that cool interface with the radar and aiming reticule have not been implemented as of now.

The Huey (I don't know if the UH-1 is your cup of tea) is a little ahead in development and so its easy flight mode interface is a little better developed, but not in its entirety as well. The flexible mount miniguns, for example, tend to go a little haywire most of the times. If you want to fly these helicopters exclusively in easy flight mode, maybe it'd be better to pass them up for a few months until development furthers up a little bit more.

Hope that was explanatory enough and don't be afraid to ask as many questions as possible. There is always someone eager to help.

Cheers! Fly safe! :pilotfly:

• Like 1

afaik the easy flight mode is not implemented (properly/yet)in the Mi-8.

But even if that is the case freespirit there are lots of tweaks to be made in the settings that will make things easier to learn. TBH I rarely use the correct start up procedure with Mi-8 because it means I can grab coffee or smoke if I just press autostart. Landings can be a little difficult to master and getting used to trimming but it is a very rewarding aircraft to learn.

I would also venture that once you have it you will be very keen to learn to fly it in sim mode;)

And welcome to the forums

dok rp what radar? Did I miss something else?

Edited by Cibit

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

afaik the easy flight mode is not implemented (properly/yet)in the Mi-8.

But even if that is the case freespirit there are lots of tweaks to be made in the settings that will make things easier to learn. TBH I rarely use the correct start up procedure with Mi-8 because it means I can grab coffee or smoke if I just press autostart. Landings can be a little difficult to master and getting used to trimming but it is a very rewarding aircraft to learn.

I would also venture that once you have it you will be very keen to learn to fly it in sim mode;)

And welcome to the forums

dok rp what radar? Did I miss something else?

I really have to disagree with you on that.

Go to options ==> Gameplay. Then under Difficulties, enable both "Game Flight Mode" and "Game Avionics". This is the "game" mode we have for the Ka-50, UH-1 and Mi-8. This is what the OP was looking for.

Collective is then controlled by the letters "Q" and "A" and the game is even playable with a keyboard.

The "radar" is a top down view of the battlefield around you showing ground, AAA, SAM and Aircraft allies and threats. Waypoints become little green floating circles in the air or wherever they have been placed.

The idea of the developers was always to make an extremely high fidelity simulator, but they also wanted to make it approachable or even enjoyable to all publics. That's why game flight mode and game avionics have been implemented from a long time ago.

The "radar" has been implemented both in the Ka-50 and UH-1 under GAME mode. Enable the two "game" options and you'll see it in the top right corner of the screen. :)

Yes mate, your more than likely correct. It is a long time since I tried arcade mode (BS1) but now I remember the radar:doh:

I remember though when Mi-8 was first released the game mode was absent. I never saw it mentioned in any of the updates but then I am particularly unobservant :)

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks for all of you for very helpful tips, especially to DOK_RP. This was exactly the answer which I was looking for. Ka-50 Black Shark 2 is my favourite military flight simulator and I would like to try different helicopters. With what dok_rp wrote I think I definitely will buy the Mi-8. I know that on the beginning can be more difficult to fly then Ka-50, but I'm not new in to the simulators and I will be fine. For example Ka-50 for me has perfect balance between proper simulator and little bit of arcade type. I don't like pure arcade simulators, but also too complicated game is also not good for me. I just don't like to press 50 buttons before flight :-) But still in Ka-50 I have used all my keys on my keyboard, and still I can manage to operate all weapons, radar, or communication with other helicopters. I think that design of this game is perfect. Everyone can find there something good, amateur or hardcore gamer. That's why I was wondering about Mi-8 – how this game is. I have nearly completed first campaign in Ka-50 so the next one can be Mi-8. I have also thought about UH-1H Huey, but to be honest the one thing to keep me off that simulator is that machine for me is related to Vietnam, and to flight it in DCS environment looks weird to me. I will definitely try if Eagle Dynamics will create separate Vietnam campaign. The same story is about Mustang. But anyway, Eagle Dynamics design the best military simulators and I'm looking forward also to play the WW2 Europe 1944. Thanks again.

Welcome to the world of Mi-8s, freespirit. The Mi-8 is my personal favorite of all the DCS modules, even though it isn't the most combat effective.

That's good that Mi-8 isn't the most combat effective, because I also like to do support mission and not necessary be involved in any combat.

That's good that Mi-8 isn't the most combat effective, because I also like to do support mission and not necessary be involved in any combat.

You're very much like me in that regard. :)

The Mi-8 is a joy to fly without so much as a hint of combat. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do. :thumbup:

i7-7700K @ 4.9Ghz | 16Gb DDR4 @ 3200Mhz | MSI Z270 Gaming M7 | MSI GeForce GTX 1080ti Gaming X | Win 10 Home | Thrustmaster Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Oculus Rift S

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Guys this will be my first heli purchase and a few questions

1. Controllers

Saitek 3 throttle/lever

MSFF twist stick

NO PEDALS

Are these controls sufficient to fly it?

2. No track IR

because of my set up being a short throw projector and lazyboy recliner I cant use Track IR...do I really need it?

• 2 weeks later...