memory and texture loading issues..

OK is it just me, or does anybody else experience some stuttering immediately after entering a mission? I'm assuming this is from the game having to load all the textures. Once all the textures are loaded the game runs smoothly (what I usually do upon entering the cockpit is zoom my view all the way back and look around in all directions to load the textures beforeI press "S" to start the game. I've got 1 gig of RAM and I'm using some high resolution skins, though I get this problem even with low rez skins. This isn't a major issue with me, since as stated before, the game runs smoothly after i look around initially. Anyways, I was windering who else experienced this and whether my memory might be too slow (I've got 2 sticks of PC3200 DDR SDRAM running at 200 Mhz and 512 MB each)?

what I usually do upon entering the cockpit is zoom my view all the way back and look around in all directions to load the textures beforeI press "S" to start the game.

I do the same thing....out of habit more than hope. I have 1.5 gigs of RAM and it still stutters the first time there's an explosion or special effect (i've tried the 'fixes' available but still no joy).

Oh and I have the terrain preload in the graphics options set to 50km. With 1 gig of RAM should I set it to 100km instead? Is there a noticeable difference? I think the stutters before (1st time) explosions and effects such as an aircraft falling into water are unavoidable.